Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default 1931 right hand side tailamp with license plate lamp

Okay something I was told today but hard to comprehend.The Model A Ford never was equipped with a solid taillamp body for the right side option? I thought mine was weird because it was blocked off with something but look like cardboard to me.How did Ford block off the light or didn't they for right side? So what is correct what I have or a China Man new one that is solid?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: 1931 right hand side tailamp with license plate lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Okay something I was told today but hard to comprehend.The Model A Ford never was equipped with a solid taillamp body for the right side option? I thought mine was weird because it was blocked off with something but look like cardboard to me.How did Ford block off the light or didn't they for right side? So what is correct what I have or a China Man new one that is solid?
Do you imagine Ford didn't make a right side tail lamp because they didn't install a right side tail lamp.

BTW, if you are installing a right side tail lamp check the bracket. The ones made for the right side from Vintique point in the wrong direction and are longer than the original left one. In fact, if you can, veer away from Vintique junk all together...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-20-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
barnstuf

Yes, the USA Model A had only a drivers side taillamp. There was no right side taillamp and the fender on the right rear did NOT holes in it to install a taillamp bracket. The right and left taillamp brackets are angled slightly different so they are not interchangable.

It is a safety feature to have a right bracket and taillamp on the right side. The right taillamp has no license plate lens.

Think of all those right hand drive Model A's that had a right side bracket with taillamp on the right rear fender. Obviously Ford made the right side units.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
Yes, the USA Model A had only a drivers side taillamp. There was no right side taillamp and the fender on the right rear did NOT holes in it to install a taillamp bracket. The right and left taillamp brackets are angled slightly different so they are not interchangable.

It is a safety feature to have a right bracket and taillamp on the right side. The right taillamp has no license plate lens.

Think of all those right hand drive Model A's that had a right side bracket with taillamp on the right rear fender. Obviously Ford made the right side units.
Of course they did but the ones forthe RHS on RHD cars were the same light as you guys use on the left, That is, with the clear lens underneath. Only the mounting bracket was different. (Mirror image)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
fundytides

If you have a rumble seat, the RH taillight will make it awkward to step up.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
37 Coupe

Still doesn't answer my question. If a right hand side bracket was available from Ford to dealers selling left hand drive cars was a solid no license plate lamp lens body available? Was it only made available as a repro like the ones Snyders and Brattons now sell?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
abachman3

I believe that when one ordered a dealer installed second tail light, it was optional to have either with or without the clear lens on the bottom. Most likely, they were provided without the clear lens as two license plates on the rear were not generally required. Apparently the one you have is provisioned for a clear lens but was retrofitted to block out the clear lens as no second license plate was being used.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
Still doesn't answer my question. If a right hand side bracket was available from Ford to dealers selling left hand drive cars was a solid no license plate lamp lens body available? Was it only made available as a repro like the ones Snyders and Brattons now sell?

I confess I don't know the answer so take this speculation FWIW. But AFAIK, a right side tail light wasn't an authorized Ford accessory. For that reason, I doubt they would have made a light without license lens, especially for what likely was a low demand item. As Synchro909 posted, there was a right side bracket for right drive cars but it used the light with license lens same as left drive cars. I suspect a dealer did the same if they installed a tail light on the right side of a left drive car. Presumably they could order the right side bracket.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
100IH

Many parts were available through the dealer network through the 30's but not all. Some showed up after production ended because there was a market. It is possible that parts unique to the UK and others who drove on the Left side could be available on special order while not in the catalogue. All of this is exactly what one would expect both then and now with manufacturers of any make.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
John Stone

Page 586 talks about the RH tail light but I have never found a part number for the bracket in the US parts books. How about our friends in Australia or New Zealand, is there a part number in the RH drive cars?
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
verrece

In Argentina The Model A had a right hand and the tail lamp was on driver side, that is right rear fender.
Here you have some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford_1931.jpg (84.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpeg 1249003320110.jpeg (30.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Phaeton 29 Argentina.jpg (96.9 KB, 67 views)
verrece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
Bob C

The tail light bracket for right hand drive is AF-13471-B

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
ryanheacox

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that left and right taillights used the same teacup just with the passenger side using a block off plate instead of the lens (or it could have used the lens, again this is just a guess).

I say this because I assume that the teacup was stamped in one operation with the bottom cutout formed at the same time. This means that to omit the cutout, tooling would need to be changed to make the passenger side teacups and the downtime in doing so would probably be more expensive than simply using the same teacup for both sides even with an extra lens.

However, if this isn't the case and the bottom cutout was a separate operation in production on another machine down the line I would say it's logical to assume that Ford could have pulled them before the cutout was punched (save a couple pennies) and therefor the passenger side taillight would not have the bottom lens cutout.

Not knowing exactly how these parts were manufactured it's hard to say but Ford probably went the cheaper route which is usually to use the same part for multiple applications.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
37 Coupe

This has been very interesting to me and I appreciate all the responses. I have only had the roadster since August but from day one I noticed the right side tail lamp was a license plate light left,blcked off years ago at least 55 years ago. I looked at all the pictures of the '30 roadster my dad restored while I was in the Navy 1966-1970 and only have side shots but shows he had a right side lamp on that car.I am going to keep what was placed on this car I know almost 60 years ago rather than use one of the solid ones made today in Taiwan. Ironically just a year ago I was trying to find a right side for a 1932 Plymouth convertible coupe and a very well made China Guide type was used but you can not get them with a license plate lamp for the left,you have to cutout yourself. The originals for these cars was a very thin brass chrome plated that cracked everywhere so the China ones which is the exact dimension was a lot better.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #15
redmodelt

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but I recall reading somewhere, maybe here, that if the right tail light was added on US cars, there was a red lens that was used to replace the clear one.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #16
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Wish I could remember where I saw it, but I recall reading somewhere, maybe here, that if the right tail light was added on US cars, there was a red lens that was used to replace the clear one.

You probably saw it on Ford Barn and you posted on it.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...d+license+lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1006R_Red_LicLens.JPG (24.1 KB, 7 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
37 Coupe

Well that is new info.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Quote:
Well that is new info.

Yup. Apparently the lens was aftermarket "back in the day." And it adds credence to the theory that Ford did NOT make a solid right side lamp - if they did, there would be no need for a red license lens.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #19
quickchange

Canadian vehicles exported down under in face where different than USA ones not just mounted on the other side, The duo stamping was depressed where as USA are-raised ,correct me if im wrong , but that's what ive seen ,33-34 both lhand & rhand ones produced,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote