Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
JtownJoe

Default Radiator drip

Just put the old girl back together after a head gasket failure & discovered I have a drip from the bottom of the radiator, the local radiator shop no longer repairs radiator, just replaces them, so now either I tear it back out & take it about 50 miles to the nearest shop or try some stop leak like Barr's Leak or another brand. Is there a nasty downside to using these products? I don't have any overheating problems now & don't want to cause any, but just not wild about tearing it out & taking for repairs & who knows how long it might be until it's back. looking for input from any others that have had a similiar experience.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Radiator drip

Joe,
Bars-Leaks is very safe & won't plug up tubes. In an emergency, I saw Chief keep adding it to a D-8 Caterpillar with a pencil sized leak squirtin' out the front of the radiator, slowly, bit by bit, the leak stopped! Ran the rig a week, then pulled the radiator for permanent repair! Bill W.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtownJoe View Post
Jus so now either I tear it back out & take it about 50 miles to the nearest shop or try some stop leak like Barr's Leak or another brand. Is there a nasty downside to using these products? .
They are only temporary. The weather should be cold now in PA so if it were me, I would make the trip and get it done right.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Joe,
Can you spot the origin of the leak? Maybe it's a minor thing to repair it. Bill W.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
asapguy

When I was going to NCR service school in Denver back in 1964 I was given a low miles 40 Chrysler 3W cp. It had a crack in the block between two freeze plugs that you could slid a dime into. I poured two bottles of Bars Leak into the radiator & it never leaked another drop. I sold it to a wrecking yard a few weeks later & got a little extra because he said the motor sounded so good.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
glenn in camino

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
For small leaks, I like Alumaseal. You can leave it in the system indefinately and keeps leaks stopped.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
TDO

I had a drip in the botton of mine. I could see the leak, so I drained the radiator cleaned it good with a wire brush and put some JB weld on it. Did a nice job, if you can see yours and can ge to it . JB weld will do the trick.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Milton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Joe,
Bars-Leaks is very safe & won't plug up tubes.
If it is used according to the instructions!!! My radiator shop was having a go-round with my Walker radiator and I had to use the car for a trip. The shop recommended a tablespoon of Bar's Leaks for a temporary fix and it did fine.

I don't know about non-pressurized systems and Bar's but, back in the fifties, I would use a pinch of Bull Durham, if it keep leaking I would add another pinch until the leak stopped. I also field stripped cigarettes and put the tobacco in the cooling system. Worked great and back then I didn't have to worry about cigarette filters.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
If it is used according to the instructions!!! My radiator shop was having a go-round with my Walker radiator and I had to use the car for a trip. The shop recommended a tablespoon of Bar's Leaks for a temporary fix and it did fine.

I don't know about non-pressurized systems and Bar's but, back in the fifties, I would use a pinch of Bull Durham, if it keep leaking I would add another pinch until the leak stopped. I also field stripped cigarettes and put the tobacco in the cooling system. Worked great and back then I didn't have to worry about cigarette filters.
Maybe try dried BASIL flakes, Milton,
It would also cover up that Gassy, Greasy smell too! "MAMMA MIA! WHATS'A BRAND of'a coolant you a'runnin'??"------PESTO-SUPREMO! Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelTmud.jpg (120.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

When in high school (back in the old days), a handful of cow feed worked well to plug up leaks! (also did a good job of plugging the radiator)
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Chuck Sea/Tac

A couple years ago, I called the 3, actually 2 because of conglomerate, leak stop companys and only one brand is designed for non pressurized systems.off hand, I don't remember which it is. The info is in the grarge, and I'm not.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote