Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
LarryinWA

Default Seat Belts

I want to install seat belts in my 29 std coupe, including the rumble seat. I have Les Andrews book but there is no info on the rumble seat. Any good hints would be great for installing them on either of the seats. Thanks
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Seat Belts

Did you try a search? I know there has been a bunch of posts about seat belts.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

I ran a 1" box tube between the sub rails with plates that attach to the bottom of the sub rails. Then I slipped a tab with a bolt hole up through the back edge of the rumble seat riser. Has to be at the back edge as that is the only clear place to put it. That gives you a center mount point that is out of the way.

I also drilled into the rumble hinge uprights at the base for the sides. These brackets are pretty solid in shear forces to take it and it seams to clear everything.

I hope that there is enough meat in what I did to keep people in the rumble seat.

BUT, lets be real, there are lots of ways to get hurt in the rumble seat. The only way to get hurt worse is to be thrown out of it. I will be happy if people are kept in and hope the trauma center is not too far away.

The issue that worries me is the movement of the rumble lid flipping down. When I get the car further along I am thinking some kind of shoulder harness. Mounted down at the bumper or cross sill. Bumper brackets might be bad if your are rear ended and they bend down. Anyway, I am thinking up over the lid and loops that go around the lap belts. Still need to think on that more. It will wait till after I get the engine done and a car that moves under its own power.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
silversink

maybe just secure the lid separate from the passengers
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Lona

Larry,
Do a search under user name "Lona" for 3-26-14 titled "put 3 point retractable seat belts in roadster". Several pics show how it can be done. I also put lap belts in the rumble. Used 3/16" x 1 1/2" angle iron under the floor pan but had to move the rumble door stops inboard to allow space to mount the outboard belts.

Had the same concern about the rumble door shutting on passengers in an accident and solved this by using a simple H Depot tie down strap with rubber coated hooks on each end which attach to the lower rear crossbar and the rumble door handle. Fast and easy to install and remove.

For Kevin in NJ, before installing any shoulder restraint lower than about 10 degrees below the shoulder, think about the downward force of that belt in an accident. As the body moves forward, that belt moves downward, with potential serious crushing back and spinal injuries. I too have concerns about rumble passengers slamming faces into the body even with seat belts but have not come up with a solution yet either. Would appreciate your posting ideas if you come up with a workable solution.

PM me Larry if I can give you any more info.........Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Lona

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Larry,
Do a search under user name "Lona" for 3-26-14 titled "put 3 point retractable seat belts in roadster". Several pics show how it can be done. I also put lap belts in the rumble. Used 3/16" x 1 1/2" angle iron under the floor pan but had to move the rumble door stops inboard to allow space to mount the outboard belts.

Had the same concern about the rumble door shutting on passengers in an accident and solved this by using a simple H Depot tie down strap with rubber coated hooks on each end which attach to the lower rear crossbar and the rumble door handle. Fast and easy to install and remove.

For Kevin in NJ, before installing any shoulder restraint lower than about 10 degrees below the shoulder, think about the downward force of that belt in an accident. As the body moves forward, that belt moves downward, with potential serious crushing back and spinal injuries. I too have concerns about rumble passengers slamming faces into the body even with seat belts but have not come up with a solution yet either. Would appreciate your posting ideas if you come up with a workable solution.

PM me Larry if I can give you any more info.........Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Franchise_24

Larry,

Here is the thread you are looking for:

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134748

Enjoy! :-)