Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Rigley

Default 5 sp. trans

What S10 tranny 5sp. would be the best match for my 53 EAB. Either I ad overdrive or this S10 thing. What do you fellas think?
Rigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
my4dv8

Default Re: 5 sp. trans

You will probably get shot down for mentioning t5 Ch**v on here . But it is a great addition to make a comfortable long legged cruiser. Any T5 out of an S10 pickup will work as it has the ideal shifter position. An early one is preferred due to being mechanical speedo. Can't remember the specifics on which has what ration in 5th but a number search wil pull that up. One has .86 and the other .73 I think. But there is quite a few modifications to wishbones and driveshafts to consider also.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
2935ford

For what it's worth....I added the T5 to my '35 slantback with a hot 8BA.....loved it!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
rick r

The s10 5 speeds are great. check out the H. A. M. B. sight. there is lots of info there. there are many different gear sets in these transmissions. avoid the ones with the 4.03:1 1st gear.
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Krylon32

Been selling the T-5 S10 tranny conversion for over 15 years. Most complete on the market. If you are planning on using your stock speedo I like the 85/89 trans as it has a manual speedo cable hookup. Most installations use the stock clutch linkage. Gary at Cornhusker Rod and Custom
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

I'd look into the 1-170 conversion as well.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
machine girl

yes the t-170 (f150 o.d. trans) is a bolt in kit.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Bill S

What year F150?
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine girl View Post
yes the t-170 (f150 o.d. trans) is a bolt in kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
What year F150?
Three variations of the T170F were used in F100/150s from '78-85. It's a 3-speed with OD. All the gears are in the same case like a 4-speed toploader, though, unlike some units that'd have an OD unit added on in place of the tailshaft housing.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
Any T5 out of an S10 pickup will work as it has the ideal shifter position.
Actually, the shifter position of an S10 T5 puts it quite a ways forward in a '53 Ford. I have been through the installation of a T5 in my '53, so I know of what I speak. I didn't use an S10 T5.

Remember --- the farther away the shifter, the longer the shifter "stick" has to be. The longer the stick, the longer the throws between gears. If that's not a concern, an S10 T5 can be made to work.

Look for a T5 from an Astro Van (which is what I'm using). That shifter is closer to the seat.

Beware, however, that many S10 T5s have a REALLY low first gear... like 4.03. Factor that in when you go shopping. Keep in mind that you can install just about any gear set in just about any T5. Yes, there are exceptions.

If at all possible, have a competent shop go through whatever T5 you buy and replace any worn or broken parts BEFORE you install it. Believe me, UNinstalling and then REinstalling is not a lot of fun.

Last edited by Richard in Florida; 09-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Richard in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Roger/Sacramento

I am using the T5 from an S10 pickup. It is a non World Class which has a mechanical drive for the speedo. I don't like the stump puller first gear ratio ( 3:54 rear end ) and end up driving around town in third gear to keep the RPM's at around 2000. I had a transmission shop take it apart to check for problems. They said it was OK. It does have very bad whine in 3.4 and 5th gears. The shop said they didn't check the bearings because they have to be broken open to see if they are OK. Now I have to remove ( hate it when that happens ) and have them replace the bearings. If it is not too expensive I will have the low gear ratio improved.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Ross F-1

Beware also that later ('93 for sure) S-10 T5's are WC but have a Ford bolt pattern on the front, as well as the electronic speedo. These use a more expensive adapter (not the Speedway one). Most of them have the 4.03 1st gear, too, compared to (usually) a 2.78 in the 3-sp. Great for stumps and parades, tho!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
TomT/Williamsburg

Most all of the T5s have a tag on the driver side off one of the lower tailshaft bolts - that has a number starting with 1352-xxxx followed by 3-4 numbers. Google this number and you will get the gear ratios within.

That being said, in general the 4-cyl cars had the stump puller 1st gear I think and the V6s tend to have more power and use the lesser one. Mechanical speedos came in the 83-87 versions, with somewhere in 88 they moved to electronic. 88-92 have the electronic speedo and usually have a nice gearset. Krylon32 has the kits for these and even the later styled (beyond 92) T5s - Gary is a great guy and many have used his kit.

I have a T5 in my avatar and in my 40 coupe - gas mileage doesn't change all that much (at least for me) but RPMs go way down - my avatar @ 75 = 2500 RPM (has a .8 5th gear) where my 40 coupe is @ 2200 when at 75 (.72 5th gear). Of course rear gears, rear tire size, and your 5th gear ratio have to be taken into consideration when calculating your final speed/rpm range.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
4t8v8

I have a '82 T5 in my '48 F1. It has the 4.03 1st gear, but I use it as a truck and haul heavy loads so I like the "granny" 1st gear. Used the Cornhuskers kit and it was a painless installation. Every little piece needed was there and everything fit perfectly.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
You will probably get shot down for mentioning t5 Ch**v on here . But it is a great addition to make a comfortable long legged cruiser. Any T5 out of an S10 pickup will work as it has the ideal shifter position. An early one is preferred due to being mechanical speedo. Can't remember the specifics on which has what ration in 5th but a number search wil pull that up. One has .86 and the other .73 I think. But there is quite a few modifications to wishbones and driveshafts to consider also.
there was a thread a while back that asked how many of the Barners were running T-5's... you would be surprised at how many on here are running them! I run one and love it!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
38 Ford Guy

Put one in my 38. Runs down highway really nice. Makes it an enjoyable trip when you can run down the highway with the traffic.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Pete

Richard in Florida mentioned the long shifter throw between gears on some installations.
That can be remedied with a short throw shift adaptor.

The gear set you choose depends greatly on how you drive and how much hp your engine has. A slightly modified flathead really works well with the closest ratio gear set the T5 came with. The 1352-202. Even this can be improved on if you have a transmission shop build the transmission. They change the .8 OD to the .86.
There are lots of other internal mods that a shop can do for nominal extra cost but aren't needed for the average cruiser.

With a 4.10 rear end, I cruise at 2000 rpm at 70 mph and the 2.95 first gear will launch the car with more than adequate tire smoke.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

With a 4.10 rear end, I cruise at 2000 rpm at 70 mph
what OD ratio and rear tire size let you do this?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
what OD ratio and rear tire size let you do this?
30" tires.
.63 OD.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
40cpe

Quote:
30" tires.
.63 OD.
You had me scratching my head because of your reference to changing to a .86 ratio as an improvement.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
You had me scratching my head because of your reference to changing to a .86 ratio as an improvement.
The .86 is for performance to keep the rpms up in the best operating range.
Like a close ratio box.

.63 or .68 is for gas mileage.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
Flat Ernie

The challenge with the T5 is there are so many variations that everyone in this thread is right, and everyone is wrong to some extent. There are very, very few absolutes.

For most early Fords, the S10 has the most favorable shifter position. For '49 up cars, the rare Astrovan is a little more favorable and the Mustang/Camaro tailshifters can be made to work.

There is no "this engine had this ratio" rule that works for all years. You HAVE to decode the tag to determine the ratios - there simply is no other way.

Click on the link in my signature - it takes you to the HAMB articles - read through that.

Personally, the T170 and all the other 3+OD conversions are not my cup of tea simply because you still have all the drawbacks of the 3-spd transmission (wide gear ratios) and very little benefit. But it's courses for horses - some folks like them.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie View Post
The challenge with the T5 is there are so many variations that everyone in this thread is right, and everyone is wrong to some extent. There are very, very few absolutes.

For most early Fords, the S10 has the most favorable shifter position. For '49 up cars, the rare Astrovan is a little more favorable and the Mustang/Camaro tailshifters can be made to work.

There is no "this engine had this ratio" rule that works for all years. You HAVE to decode the tag to determine the ratios - there simply is no other way.

Click on the link in my signature - it takes you to the HAMB articles - read through that.

Personally, the T170 and all the other 3+OD conversions are not my cup of tea simply because you still have all the drawbacks of the 3-spd transmission (wide gear ratios) and very little benefit. But it's courses for horses - some folks like them.
I respect your T5 knowledge immensly, but to say the 3+1 has very little benefit? How about the overdrive, the vastly improved synchros over an early Ford trans, the synchro on first gear, and the fact that a flattie wont break one? Also the shifter position of an F150 trans is bang on for an early Ford.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Richard in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
...and the fact that a flattie wont break one?
Do you really think the average flathead could break a T5? Good heavens, man! Hairy Mustangs and Camaros had there transmissions in them!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
Pete

The average SEMI MODIFIED flathead can destroy a T5 in one shift if you know how to do it!
No need to elaborate on that. If you want to drag race, get a Lenco.

Flat Ernie sed,
"Personally, the T170 and all the other 3+OD conversions are not my cup of tea simply because you still have all the drawbacks of the 3-spd transmission (wide gear ratios) and very little benefit. But it's courses for horses - some folks like them."

He is dead nutz on. "SOME FOLKS LIKE THEM".
Anybody into good driving performance, wouldn't give them a second glance.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #26
Richard in Florida

Quote:
The average SEMI MODIFIED flathead can destroy a T5 in one shift if you know how to do it!
I meant, and I thought you meant, destroy a T5 with sheer power and torque, not by abusing or misusing it. Hell, I'll betcha I could destroy a T5 with a motor out of a garden tractor if I'm allowed to purposely try to do it.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
Pete

"I meant, and I thought you meant, destroy a T5 with sheer power and torque"

Sure you will have to abuse it to break it....Very few mechanical things break if the DUL (design ultimate load) is never exceeded.
Remember the best T5 models are only rated at 310 ft.lb.
No abuse and they will last a long time.
For years they used a model A transmission behind the 270 Offy's at Indy.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Flat Ernie

Quote:
I respect your T5 knowledge immensly, but to say the 3+1 has very little benefit? How about the overdrive, the vastly improved synchros over an early Ford trans, the synchro on first gear, and the fact that a flattie wont break one? Also the shifter position of an F150 trans is bang on for an early Ford.
If all you want is an OD, then perhaps the 3+OD is for you. A well-built early Ford 3-spd in good condition is a fine transmission - for what it is. I can shift them quickly & smoothly. And I can double-clutch as well. The 3+OD was always a cobbled together piece, but they perform their function well enough. If all I wanted was a 3-spd and an OD, personally, I'd opt for a Mitchell behind a fresh early Ford 3-spd.

Every transmission is a compromise. Go search for some of my older posts where I give details on RPM drop between shifts between a 3-spd and a 5-spd. But this goes to how you drive your flathead.

As for the strength of a T5, you can build them plenty strong. The early S10 T5 is among the weakest of the lot, but will still handle your average flathead with ease. If you want to abuse it, you can break just about anything. But the T5, even the early NWC with a 4.03 gearset (the weakest), is more than adequate for a flathead. There are many things you can do to reinforce some of the inherent design weaknesses of the T5. And the Mustang 5.0 crowd run them behind 10-second cars.

Like I said: Courses for horses. WHY are you changing from your early Ford 3-spd is the real question and will tell you which transmission to choose...

T5 Tech
Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Bassman/NZ

The internet is a strange thing. I never meant that a T5 is weak, I was saying that a 3+1 is unbreakable COMPARED TO AN EARLY TRANS.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
don35

If the throw of the shifter on any s-10 is too long check out the Langdon Stove bolt Chevrolet website ( yeah I know) for a downloadable PDF on how to shorten it. Easy and inexpensive.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #31
hotrodcbx

When I built my 34 coupe I paid the price and went for a new T5 WC from Summit for about $1250.00. You can spend that kind of money on having a S10 T5 rebuilt. I installed a tail housing out of a S10 to move the shifter forward. Works great with 411 gears and the blown 296" flat motor..
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
Flat Ernie

Quote:
The internet is a strange thing. I never meant that a T5 is weak, I was saying that a 3+1 is unbreakable COMPARED TO AN EARLY TRANS.
Always better over a beer, right? Usually clearer too!

It's all good - if we all liked the same things, it'd be a pretty boring place.

T5 Tech
Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #33
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by don35 View Post
If the throw of the shifter on any s-10 is too long check out the Langdon Stove bolt Chevrolet website ( yeah I know) for a downloadable PDF on how to shorten it. Easy and inexpensive.
Don, I checked out Langdon's site but could not find the info on the T-5 shifter. where would I find it? thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #34
Don W/Norfolk

Try this:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/shifter/index.html
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
felix37

That's a great idea! I'm doing that to my shifter!