Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Fredb_

Default Cycle of Life or just fate?

In a previous post I shared how an old guy I chanced to meet loaned an old flathead valve tool to me. Well after getting that job done I went to his home today to return the tool and share with him how it went. I knew he would enjoy the conversation being an old car nut and former junkyard owner. After knocking on the door I soon met members of his family who were gathered to give support to his widow. Yes, old Jack had suddenly passed away a week or so ago. I shared how I had met Jack only a few weeks ago and how he had loaned me his tool, which I now was returning. His widow smiled and said that he had told her about me, then she asked me to keep the tool. Others in the room agreed that Jack would have wanted it that way. The whole thing touched me, and although I am glad to be the new owner of this old relic, I would have liked to put it back in Jack's hand and thank him. So, thanks Jack and Godspeed to you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jacks Tool.jpg (42.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Jacks Tool_2.jpg (42.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Valves_3.jpg (57.2 KB, 133 views)
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Fe26

Default Re: Cycle of Life or just fate?

The generosity of the human spirit is a wonderful thing.

I'm sure we've all experienced something similar to the interaction between you and Jack. Many times when people are close to the end a certain kind of clarity becomes apparent, and they give away things to the people who are the right ones to own such things. Jack obviously saw that you were the right man, I suspect that had you tried to give that tool back to Jack he would have smiled at you and said keep it.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Ross F-1

What a great story! RIP Jack
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Terranova

Amen
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Talkwrench

Its more than just a tool now..
Old 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
raceron1120

A great bittersweet story, thanks for sharing.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
19Fordy

"The mirror of your life reflects the goodness of your soul."
Old Jack was a good soul, for sure.

You are now charged by fate with continuing that tradition of kindness.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
Brian

Above quote; 'Many times when people are close to the end a certain kind of clarity becomes apparent'

True story; Years ago...one day my old 35 ran outta gas [again!]. Left it at side of the road and hitched a ride back to gas station to remedy the situation. Upon returning, I discovered that someone had swiped a hubcap! It'll come back a little voice inside me said.....

Some weeks later I was in town, and upon returning to my car, there was a Maori guy [native NZer] hanging around my car...starts up "This your car bro?"
"Yeah" I reply.
"Someone pinch your hubcap the other week bro?"
"Yeah"
"Sorry man, that was me bro, I'm real sorry bro, come to my place and I'll give it back bro"
Long story short...His place was a bit of a drive and a vehicular ferry ride away, but I did get to his place some weeks later, retreived my hubcap and he also gave me some other old V8 stuff he had aquired. Transpires that after pinching my hubcap, he'd been into hospital and had major brain surgery, now, I dunno, but it always appeared to me that having undergone this procedure, realising his mortality, he had decided to turn a new leaf.
That is the only part I've ever had pinched off of my car, sure enough it came home as I knew it would. I've owned this car since 1971, driven it since, never remove the keys from ignition. Just as well he needed a brain op, dumb buggar could've had the whole car, not just a hubcap!!!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Above quote; 'Many times when people are close to the end a certain kind of clarity becomes apparent'

True story; Years ago...one day my old 35 ran outta gas [again!]. Left it at side of the road and hitched a ride back to gas station to remedy the situation. Upon returning, I discovered that someone had swiped a hubcap! It'll come back a little voice inside me said.....

Some weeks later I was in town, and upon returning to my car, there was a Maori guy [native NZer] hanging around my car...starts up "This your car bro?"
"Yeah" I reply.
"Someone pinch your hubcap the other week bro?"
"Yeah"
"Sorry man, that was me bro, I'm real sorry bro, come to my place and I'll give it back bro"
Long story short...His place was a bit of a drive and a vehicular ferry ride away, but I did get to his place some weeks later, retreived my hubcap and he also gave me some other old V8 stuff he had aquired. Transpires that after pinching my hubcap, he'd been into hospital and had major brain surgery, now, I dunno, but it always appeared to me that having undergone this procedure, realising his mortality, he had decided to turn a new leaf.
That is the only part I've ever had pinched off of my car, sure enough it came home as I knew it would. I've owned this car since 1971, driven it since, never remove the keys from ignition. Just as well he needed a brain op, dumb buggar could've had the whole car, not just a hubcap!!!
Maybe he tried to take the car BUT as you said it was out of gas,
So his taking of the hubcap was his way of showing you he COULD HAVE TAKEN THE WHOLE CAR if he wanted !!!!!!! LOL LOL
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Cecil/WV

Are you sure the other parts he gave to you were his??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote