Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default The 12 volt thing...:)(

hello and good day,

I recently inherited a GREAT looking '29 tudor, a driver, not a show beauty, and I want to have fun and DRIVE her around.

Someday I might undertake a complete restoration, But for now I need to know from those who know about the 12 volt conversion.

Some ageee, some disagree.. I don't have a clue except that I want a radio and that 12v batteries are cheaper.

ANY ADVICE is appreciated, and a pro and con article OR debate to win my vote would be so nice....

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: The 12 volt thing...:)(

If you really want a radio, then I guess 12 volts is the way to go, unless you find an old 6 volt radio. I dont know anybody who has a radio in their model A. Somehow, the sounds of modern music detracts from the enjoyment of driving a car that old, at least to me. IF you go to 12 volts, you will have to use a 12 volt coil, or a ballast resistor, an alternator, all the bulbs changed to 12 volt, and change the starter field coils to 12 volts (available at brattons). The 12 volts will slam the starter in so hard that soon the starter bendix spring will break. Remember to reverse the leads on the ammeter when you go to negative ground. A 30 amp ammeter is a good idea with an alternator. Do not drill into the dash area to mount the radio, it is the gas tank.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Lots of 6v radios out there to be had.

It;s a better way to go. Just remember hole is hole in the body. Not in my A!

Better Idea. (Ford lightbulb comes on)

Just use a portable CD player, boombox. Self contained. That way you don't need to make any freakin' holes. My bodyman is up to his hubcaps in hole repair on my 30 coupe as we speak.

Mr.ED

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I went 12 volts several years ago so that I could use halegon head lights. Now I have read head lights!

If you go this way get the reflectors with the halegon sockets already installed.

Going 12 volts it's self does not regiure any new holes. Just the Alt w/mounting brackets and pulley.

You will have to change the bulbs, and coil.

As for the started I have gone about three years now with out any starter problems. For the long haul it might be a good idea to put in the 12 volt field coils.

You will find that because the Alt. has a built in regulator your battery life will be much greater, no over or under charging.

The only draw back is that most single wire set ups require a fast rpm to get the Alt. to start charging. No big deal just a pain.

If you deside to go this way email me I have the wiring diagram for setting it up to start charging at low rpm,s.

Jerry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Default Not my gas tank

<center></center>

Just to enflame the purists--- The dash from Snyders came with disturbing dents, didn't show before paint. (but no radio-thanks anyway) I can't locate a 29 top rail, (no 153 buck new one needed for sure) If anyone has a rusted even holey cast off they would take 10 bucks for, please email ?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

radio shack has a bike radio thats fits onto a handle bar,this radio will fit unto the top of your steering colum uned the steering wheel just before the steering colum clamp thats attached to you gas tank.its battery powered and i havent changed my batteries for two years,its great. good luck, Lynn (ps)its am/fm also

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I went 12 volts several years ago so that I could use halegon head lights. Now I have read head lights!

If you go this way get the reflectors with the halegon sockets already installed.

Going 12 volts it's self does not regiure any new holes. Just the Alt w/mounting brackets and pulley.

As for the started I have gone about three years now with out any starter problems. For the long haul it might be a good idea to put in the 12 volt field coils.

You will find that because the Alt. has a built in regulator your battery life will be much greater, no over or under charging.

The only draw back is that most single wire set ups require a fast rpm to get the Alt. to start charging. No big deal just a pain.

If you deside to go this way email me I have the wiring diagram for setting it up to start charging at low rpm,s.

Jerry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Default Not my gas tank

<center></center>

Just to enflame the purists--- The dash from Snyders came with disturbing dents, didn't show before paint. (but no radio-thanks anyway) I can't locate a 29 top rail, (no 153 buck new one needed for sure) If anyone has a rusted even holey cast off they would take 10 bucks for, please email ?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

radio shack has a bike radio thats fits onto a handle bar,this radio will fit unto the top of your steering colum uned the steering wheel just before the steering colum clamp thats attached to you gas tank.its battery powered and i havent changed my batteries for two years,its great. good luck, Lynn (ps)its am/fm also

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

Jerry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

Default Not my gas tank

<center></center>

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

Jerry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

Default Not my gas tank

<center></center>

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #16

Jerry

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #17

Default Not my gas tank

<center></center>

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #18