Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Bought car, now no title

What can you do about a guy who sells you a car and tells you he has the title, but after you take delivery of the car he says he can't find the title ? When I paid for the car he said he would get the title notorized and give it to me in a couple of days. It's now been 2 months and he says he can't find the title and is no hurry to do anything about it. I live in Oklahoma, so does he. It seems like this should be illegal in some way. I trusted this guy, and have already done extensive work to the car, so I don't want to give it back. Any ideas about what I can do about this ???

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Bought car, now no title

WHere are you in Ok?.....did you get a bill of sale?.......when buying a car you and seller should both go the tag agency with all the paperwork.......if he is lying...go to the tag agency and do a title search on your engine or frame serial number....if clear you may have to get a junk title.....sometimes they will sell cars with liens on them and you are in trouble......i am over here in Bethany,Ok if you are close.....Leon

<ul>[*]L.E.D. Model A TV[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Leon,

Can't you OK guys still use bill of sale to replace lost title? In CA we *USED* to do that easier than anything, they just issued a title (&quot;registration&quot; here) along with change of ownership based on info on bill of sale. Checking first if it's on STOLEN list is definate a good move! Any idea why Alabama is any different about issue of ownership ? (Broadway title type transaction)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Yes, I got a bill of sale, but I want the title because the SOB said he had one and that was one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place. I don't like the idea of having to chase down all the info and pay back tags, if there are any. I think this should be his expense, not mine. I'm in Tulsa, by the way.......

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I was mostly interested to know if there was anything legal I could do about this. I thought maybe someone else out there had been through this before....you never know.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

It has been a few years since I asked the question but it used to be in California if someone lost the title you just applied for a duplicate/replacement title at the same time you register the car. Have you inquired at your DMV? Or maybe there is more to the story like “the title was really not in my name because but…”. As much as I HATE to say it, it might be time to start looking for a good lawyer before you put any more time and money into the car.

Good Luck,

Charlie Stephens

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Yep, that's what I was thinking too.........

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

Cert of non-operation should bypass any prev tag costs, easier if it happens to have been stored at your address, but there should be a statute about &quot;non penalty on antiques---&quot;.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

Did a little checking and this looks like a pretty good place to get some information for you.

<ul>[*]OK Motor Vehicle Dept [/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

Default Legal?????

If it's not written down that he has a title, I doubt that you could take him to court.

I would get some biker buddies and pay him a visit. 10 Harleys in the front yard usually jogs ones memory pretty good!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

Default Re: Legal?????

Sounds like a good solution to me.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

Hey, Thanks for the help. I may have to use this if the jerk doesn't come up with the title he said he had when I paid for the car.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #13

Hey, Thanks for the help. I may have to use this if the jerk doesn't come up with the title he said he had when I paid for the car.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #14

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #15

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #16