Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
CrazyTed

Default New to 312 Y Block

I inherited a 1929 Model A T-bucket from my father when he passed away unexpectedly last year. My understanding is it has a 312 Y Block in it from a 1956 T-bird. I have just recently started working on this. Last time I visited my father he had replaced the master cylinder and I helped him find the correct fitting for the brake line but we never bled it as I had to leave. I have bled them and found a leak at the "proportioning" valve between the master cylinder and front disk brakes. Fixed that and bled it more. Only get pedal when you pump it a bunch. Guess I'll "bench" bleed the master cylinder when I get time and bleed the system again.

Now, last time I saw the car run was about 2 years ago. My father would always take my wife out for rides when we visited. Car ran ok. I have no idea what cam or other parts are in the car. It does have an Edelbrock intake on it and a small spacer between the carb and intake.

Now it won't start without starter fluid and when you get it started, runs rough and eventually stalls. My first thing will be to rebuild the carb. It has a Holley 600 single feed 4160 carb on it. I have not taken it off yet and have no clue what's in the carb jet wise. I just figure it's a good starting place as I have no clue when it was last worked on. After rebuilding the carb I'll move onto checking for any "vacuum" leaks on the intake and check the ignition.

My experience comes from the late '80's when I drag raced a Camaro that I built the 350 Chevy from the block up. Decent mechanic but don't know the ins and outs of the 312.

I'll take any and all advice and suggestions. I've been reading through a bunch here already trying to learn. I'll attach pics of the car and the driver's side of the engine.

Future plans are to clean up the fuel supply to the carb and redo the throttle linkage from the pedal rod to the carb linkage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227712_1946731835636_4200875_n.jpg (88.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg engineleftsmall.jpg (56.1 KB, 387 views)
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote