Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
40 FourDrDlx

Default 40 Deluxe radiator mounts & hoses

I recently had to remove my radiator to get a small leak repaired & noticed the rad. was mounted with the springs between the frame & rad. brackets. I remembered seeing posts that said this wasn't correct & the spring should be on top of the rad. bracket with the rubber pad between frame & radiator. So I put it back the "correct" way & found with the rad. now sitting an inch+ lower, the lower hoses didn't want to stretch down enough to slip on the radiator. OK, I must need new hoses. I got a new set from Carpenter (came in a Drake bag) & same problem. If I REALLY pull I can force the hoses onto the radiator connections, but I'm concerned that stress will damage the old radiator.
Anyone run into this? Thanks, Bob
40 FourDrDlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 40 Deluxe radiator mounts & hoses

Have a look at this.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...iator+mounting
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Mart

It sounds like someone has moved the side brackets on your radiator up. My 40 rad fit the stock hoses just fine. Be careful with the hoses, they have one bend sharper than the other, I can't remember which way up they go now, but if they are the wrong way up, they will foul the sway bar if fitted. I do have a 40 rad and could take a measurement off my brackets if it would help.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Roger/Sacramento

In my '41 pickup I modified the radiator outlets because the stabilizer bar was in the way. Works good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator fix 2.JPG (15.8 KB, 17 views)

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
40 FourDrDlx

Thanks for the replies guys!
19FORDY-I saw that thread when I was searching before I posted my problem. It however lists both ways of spring placement without a final answer. How is yours set up?

Mart-Hard to believe the brackets have been moved, but anything is possible on these old cars. If you can give me a measurement to check, we could eliminate that as a possibility. You're right on the hoses-one end of the "s" is longer than the other. When I took it apart I could see the hoses rubbing on the sway bar. The short ends were on the w/pumps. With the long end on the pumps they clear the sway bar, so I thought that was correct. I've tried them both ways though & can't get them to hook up either way....

Roger- That would do it as a last resort. Thanks
40 FourDrDlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
19Fordy

How is yours set up? My set up is not stock. I used chrome plated copper tubing to replace the bottom hoses. I am using a Walker radiator with just a rubber pad between the frame and the radiator mount flange on the side of the radiator. Been like that for last 20 years. Stock sway bar also still fits. I had to lengthen the side brackets that hold the radiator in place. One way to check if yours is correct may be to see if the crank hole in the grille aligns with the hole in the radiator and also if the side brackets between the radiator and the inner fender panel "fit". The more I think about this the more I think the first response in this link is correct -even though it seems unusual.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...iator+mounting However ,I would suggest that "Kube" knows the correct answer. He is extremely knowledgeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC02104 (Small).JPG (54.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-20-2013 at 10:26 AM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote