Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Fred A

Default '40 Houdaille Shock Fluid?

My '40 front shocks have been extensively flushed with kerosene, even removing the valve control. After draining the kerosene and resetting the valve, the shocks were refilled with Bar's Jack Oil with Stop Leak. Could this oil be too thin as there is far less resistance than before. Valve adjustment has little effect. Thought I was on to something but... Any thoughts or experience? I know most shocks are farmed out but there are too many non performing phonies in the LA/Orange area. The low prices for candidate shocks, seems like it's worth a try. What do you think or know? Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: '40 Houdaille Shock Fluid?

Fred,
There are some shocks that need more than a flush and fill. Hopefully, you don't have those
Hydraulic jack oil is what most guys use with good results.

Rebuilder's? the fellow that took over Bill Wzoreck's business was supposed to be good. I don't know about that personally. Perhaps folks with first hand experience with him can chime in.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Glycerine and Castor oil aren't all that viscous. Both of those were used as shock oil by Houdaille back in the day.

Kube has a point. if the wing shaft & seals have problems then there may be too much leak by for the shock to function correctly. That fact that they function at all does make them a good candidate for overhaul by one of those shops that specialize in older Who-Die shocks.

I think this is Andrew Falandes' e-mail. [email protected]
He took over Bill Wzorek's rebuilding service.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Fred A

Sure don't want "shops that specialize" on this car. Part of the mission is to keep the net price of the whole thing below zero dollars. I still think it can be done, but not if I hire the best guys. Too long a story, but there is no shame in making things under budget. I'm not the US government or a defense contractor. This current '40 has been the parts car for four '40 coupes from an estate, I've now sold. Seems to be a trend that so many of the questions that I put to the car sites get no play, a clear indication that I do things differently and can expect to work a bit harder to get it together as it is planned. Lucky for many of us '40 guys, so many '40 parts were saved and availability is wonderful. Swap meets have and continue to serve me well. Thanks for the thoughts: Fred A

Last edited by Fred A; 09-02-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Sure don't want "shops that specialize" on this car. Part of the mission is to keep the net price of the whole thing below zero dollars.
So, you want an inexperienced shop that works for zero pay. Let me know how that goes.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 AM   #6
Fred A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
So, you want an inexperienced shop that works for zero pay. Let me know how that goes.

No! Looks like I don't want a shop at all. Just thought there are guys that have taken on the task of tuning up their late Houdailles. I'm not working on worn out shocks with loose shafts, but take offs where perhaps tube shocks replaced the originals. I find my flushed out correct shocks are a little weak and looking for those that have done well working on Houdailles. That skill seems a bit rare out here. Guess that's what FortyNiner is trying to tell me. Fred A
Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 AM   #7
DocJohn

Do you know the ISO VG number for the jack oil? It's probably 40, which is basically the kinematic viscosity in centiStokes. You could try an ISO VG 68 compressor oil or even ISO VG 100. The neat thing is you can blend to your own viscosity by mixing different grades.
DocJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

try tractor multi viscosity hydraulic oil, or look into motorcycle fork oil
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
rotorwrench

You say "late Houdaille shocks". You do realize that they haven't made these for many years. A lot of folks converted over to tube shocks after the war since kits were available back then. Many of the reproductions made now are crap anyway. You won't get a lot of play when you shoot the messengers.

A lot of folk do there own, so good luck. Here is an article of interest.
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...lic-shock.html

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Andrew Falandes, my shock rebuilder, who took over from the legendary Bill Wzorek, sent this when I asked about the fluid he recommends.

"The correct oil for Bills and my rebuilds is gear oil 85-140w or as close as you can get. I recommend putting a little sealer on the fill plug when tighten it. I use permatex #2 form a gasket"

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Fred A

Thanks guys for the tide of numbers and references. After touring the internet the mix of standards for viscosity seem nicely cross referenced. The Jack oil I used is qualitatively called thin or given low ISO and SAE guesses as the relative viscosity is buried in the SDS or specs. Very Tangled Jeff relays a fine quote that is much heavier than expected but well sourced. A bit sorry to abandon the stop leak feature of the Bar's. Off to the parts store for some new juice. Thanks: Fred A