Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Steve Rinaldo

Default rear brakes

I am getting the "A" ready for a tour next month and am trying to get the best brakes. I took off the rear brake drums to inspect the shoes and they are in good shape.
my question is when I activate the brakes by hand I notice that the top shoe moves slightly earlier before the bottom shoe moves. This happens on both sides.
Is this a normal condition and if not what is causing the problem?
I now on standard drum brakes the front shoe or leading shoe works first before the rear shoe. Is the same on an "A" with the top shoe being the leading shoe?
Thanks, Steve
Steve Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: rear brakes

Hi Steve,

Sounds mechanically normal on the rear with gravity pulling down the top shoe thus staying in mechanical iron to iron contact ..... bottom shoe,with a little loose play can be pulled away by gravity from making same contact; however, when rear brakes are applied the rear shoes are self centering to make equal contact with the rear drum.

The front brake shoe equalization and self centering "was" almost perfect when it left Ford's factory; but with former questionable repairs and wear, most probably none are perfect today.

Front brake shoe "equalization" and "centering" can be greatly improved by buying Bratton's #2870, Front Brake Floater.

I custom made some 20 years ago after seeing same someone invented and presented in Mr. Charles Yapp's magazine, "Secrets of Speed" about 20 years ago ...... great front brake wedge stud later invention and improvement ....... if you do not have same, good idea to get a front pair for better front brake equal front shoe/drum contact.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 08-13-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
Steve Rinaldo

Default Re: rear brakes

Thanks. Steve
Steve Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote