Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default 56 Fenbder Trim?

Getting the side trim set up and hit a snag. I have the Body,Trim and Sealant manual and it has everything except for the fender. It say see drawing BJ 16000 for fender installation and requirements. I cannot seem to find Drawing BJ 16000 anywhere in the manual. Basically need to know the type and number of retainers needed. Any ideas?
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:19 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: 56 Fenbder Trim?

You have a 56 SEDAN DELIVERY (78A) and you are wanting to trim out as a 56 CUSTOMLINE RANCH WAGON (59B) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EXT MLDG ILL - 1956 RANCH WAGON (CUSTOMLINE) - 59B(1).jpg (15.8 KB, 10 views)

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

Default Re: 56 Fenbder Trim?

I guess it is the ranch wagoner trim I am going to use. I have the trim but cannot find the drawing BJ 16000 refeerenced in the trim manual. I need it to get the correct retainers for the fenders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg molding illistration.jpg (72.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Just so you know, the '55/56 Couriers were a Mainline series wagon and none had body side trim. The '55 Mainlines only had the belt moulding, but in '56, they didn't even have that. Heres a photo of my '55 Courier.
Courier9.JPG
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
56sedandelivery

Yeah I know. But other then the body there is nothing stock on this one.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:22 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: 56 Fenbder Trim?

Well, here's the thing. The ILL I posted (1956) only shows the MLDG itself. Later years cataloging shows the retainers and positions.

The clips are listed in cataloging but they are SERVICE PN's. I can give you a list if wanted. Those years MLDG's did not include the clip package but were sold individually or in a MLDG CLIP PACKAGE.

Maybe someone has a 55/56 that can show the openings and measurements.

The page you showed is a FAIRLANE. Is the booklet a reprint? They must have left some info out.

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-01-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:24 PM   #7
56sedandelivery

That is a Jim Osborn reproduction.

Found a diagram with part numbers on flea bay. Don’t know if they are correct but a start.

Last edited by 56sedandelivery; 02-28-2023 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 56 Fenbder Trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56sedandelivery View Post

That is a Jim Osborn reproduction.
... hmmph ... That's supposed to be quality.

Does it (FORD MANUAL) show FAIRLANE clips and locations?

Quote:
Found a diagram with part numbers on flea bay. Don’t know if they are correct but a start.
Does the chart show a source of info? Let the board know how it works out,

Old 03-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #9
rotorwrench

When did Ford stop printing the individual body parts catalogs? They published them for specific year models in first of type and then grouped them in follow on years that had the same or similar body types in past years.

I have the CD of the 1959 catalog where they lumped them all together but I was curious as to when Ford stopped making the separate catalogs.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #10
56sedandelivery

I have beside the trim manual the 49/59 parts and accessories manual and the 55/57 chassis parts and accessories manual. The 49/59 manual is weird as from 57 on it shows all the retainers needed but prior to that nada. I looked at the item list and could not really tell which ones are needed. I got this off flea bay but do not know if these are the correct one because they are not listed in the 49/59 manual. AH-h the fun of old cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600a.jpg (42.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 06:05 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: 56 Fenbder Trim?

Find the BASIC PN for the FRT FDR MLDG in the ILL (16003-4 - R&L). You then go to the BASIC PN in the TEXT.

Under the PN application listings, it will show ATTACHING PARTS by BODY CODE and year (1956) and then will give you a CLIP PACKAGE PN.

In the front of the MPC TXT you will see a section named EXT MLDG CLIPS SECTION. Look for the PN of the clip package and it will list what is contained in the package.

Try that and if it doesn't work, we will try again.

Now the ILL you are showing is FAIRLANE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EXT MLDG CLIP KIT - 1956 FORD.jpg (7.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EXT MLDG CLIP KIT - 1953-56 FORD.jpg (20.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 03-01-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

Dorman sells some universal clips, but you need to have them in your hand to make sure they will fit and hold the way you want them to. Some hardware stores used to carry them. I wouldn't order any from a catalog unless you know for sure that they will fit your applications.
A few of the repro parts suppliers carry some body side trim clips but not for all applications. You may get lucky by investigating.
If worst comes to worst, I have manufactured my own clips from strips of spring-steel that I would cut out with metal sheers, then drill a hole for a pan-head machine screw. Put the screw into the hole and weld the screw onto the metal, then grind the weld down so it allows the clip to fit into your moulding. This method is only good for clips which can be accessed on the back side to install rubber washer, flatwasher and machine nut. If possible, try to use OEM clips in areas that have poor access behind, or for these locations, you might be able to modify a Dorman pop-in clip.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote