Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Sedan delivery rear paneling

Got the door panels done easy but having a hang up on the rear. Because of the curvature the push clips like used on the door want to pop out even if I can get them to line up. Sooo what is the best way to proceed? screw them down and have the screws showing or something else. OR just say screw it and let the people who do the interior figure it out.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Sedan delivery rear paneling

Maybe a little industrial strength Velcro on either side of the clips? Or even without the clips. The good, self adhesive Velcro is really strong once pressed down. I’ve used it, and you need a dull butter knife to get it apart without damage the panel. Once the panel warps to fit, you might even be able to remove it. Say in 6 months.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:35 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Sedan delivery rear paneling

On a '55 Courier, the factory originally installed 1/8" thick sheets of masonite for the side-wall panelling. The masonite was exposed and had no upholstery. These were Mainline series cars for utility/delivery use, so luxury was in short supply on these. On my car, the old masonite was still there, so I used the old panels to cut out new 1/8" lauan plywood, stained and polyurethane coated. I also used the old panels to duplicate the screw holes that fastened the masonite to the interior structure, But I used chromed countersunk, philips-head screws identical to the rest of the garnish mouldings in the interior, but these with panel washers. They did not use the same door panel clips in the '55 Courier for the rear masonite wall panels, only the screws. Furthermore, as I recall, there isn't that much surface material to the interior structure to have a 1/4" diameter hole for the door panel clips back there around the perimeter.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote