Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
oldskool

Default stuck rings

have 59AB unstuck and spining free,but no compression,i put oil in clyinders and have 50 lbs compression,rings must be stuck to piston,is there anything i could try to free them up? before i pull engine? al
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Joe KCMO

Default Re: stuck rings

I do not the full story of your engine. Does it run? I had a freshly built engine with very low compression. A professional builder told me not to worry, it would be fine. And it was. Try and start it and see how it runs.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
dude

Some days you just have to bit the bullet. First stuck,now no compression. If you'er just going around the block ,thats one thing,but if you are looking for a dependable motor ,open it up and do it right. Sounds like a really tired motor. If money is a issue,we should all be looking at a different hobby. JMO
Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
oldskool

this motor is not tired , its be sitting a long time had head off and clyinder looks fine no ridge,no rust very little carbon,the rings we stuck to cly wall,pulled pan rod bearings look new,i think the motor was rebuilt ,money is not an issue looks like you have a street rod an ugly one at that
Old 06-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
flathead4rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
this motor is not tired , its be sitting a long time had head off and clyinder looks fine no ridge,no rust very little carbon,the rings we stuck to cly wall,pulled pan rod bearings look new,i think the motor was rebuilt ,money is not an issue looks like you have a street rod an ugly one at that
I guess that's a HAMB style response. Didn't expect to see that on this board. JMO
flathead4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I'd come down at about the middle range of repairs. Running it and seeing if the rings loosen up is not a bad idea except for the potentially HUGE waste of time and work if it all has to come apart if the blasted things do not revive.
From your description, it seems to be a low mileage engine with no cylinder wear...while it's apart, why not just scuff hone the walls (assuming here that measurement verifies them as good and straight) and replace the rings only? I think too many people get into complete rebuilds on solid engines and replace too many good parts...measure, measure, measure, and if measurement confirms the engine as unworn just replace potential trouble like those rings.
Rings are cheap and have the potential to make your life miserable if no good.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I'd come down at about the middle range of repairs. Running it and seeing if the rings loosen up is not a bad idea except for the potentially HUGE waste of time and work if it all has to come apart if the blasted things do not revive.
From your description, it seems to be a low mileage engine with no cylinder wear...while it's apart, why not just scuff hone the walls (assuming here that measurement verifies them as good and straight) and replace the rings only? I think too many people get into complete rebuilds on solid engines and replace too many good parts...measure, measure, measure, and if measurement confirms the engine as unworn just replace potential trouble like those rings.
Rings are cheap and have the potential to make your life miserable if no good.
Good post, Bruce!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Russ/40

Put some MMO with a dash of acetone in each cylinder and put the plugs back in. Let it sit for a day, then recheck.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

I agree with Russ/40 ... it is worth a try!
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
53ash

Marvel Mystery Oil added to the oil (replace a quart) when you try and start it up, will help kinda free everything up. I did as Russ said above, with the old engine i'm messing with. Put some in the cylinders for a few days, put it in the oil and gas. Ran it for maybe 20-30 minutes total. Drained and put good oil with MMO and ran for a couple hours total. Then another oil change with 20-50; Made a big difference with the compression.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Rislone makes a produt called "ring free" it was used a lot in the old days for that purpose also, a qt. added to oil.. I like the MMO
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
oldskool

thanks guys i put MMO w/actone let it sit a day and give it a shot...al
Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Mike in AZ

if he had the rod caps off, why not pull the pistons and see what's what??...like you say, maybe replace the rings and see how it runs....could break a ring trying to run it now and cause some major damage to cylinder??....just thots...Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
Some days you just have to bit the bullet. First stuck,now no compression. If you'er just going around the block ,thats one thing,but if you are looking for a dependable motor ,open it up and do it right. Sounds like a really tired motor. If money is a issue,we should all be looking at a different hobby. JMO
Hey Dude, Hope you are doing well. I would let that one nasty comment by Oldskool just roll off my back if I were you. No need for those kind of comments here.
I'll be starting to plan my trip to Utah soon. Depending on which route I take out and back, I may get close to your neck of the woods. I would like to cruise around your area some and see what's going on . JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote