Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default Right Headlights - Wrong Reflectors?

In checking my headlights to try to see why there doesn't seem to be much difference between hi and lo beams it appears when the restorers did their work some 35 years ago they used whatever they could get their hands on and not necessarily what was right for the car. It's a '30 coupe with the correct (hemispherical) headlights. But they contain a one-socket reflector with a single 2-filament bulb (6v 50/32cp). Having had it for a year, it's a car I like to drive a couple times a week and not for show points so I don't really care that the reflectors, sockets, etc, appear to be of the '28-29 variety. So what's your recommendation? The reflectors look good and shiny, so, should I try the alignment and focus exercise or buy some new bulbs which may be better?
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Right Headlights - Wrong Reflectors?

the single bulb reflector was used on deluxe 30-31 cars with cowl lights to the end of production. So the question to you is are you running cowl lights if so it is correct. also if you are running cowl lights there will only be two wires going to the head lights in the loom. if it is not a show car I would leave it.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The bulb socket is NOT in the exact center of the reflector, so hopefully the reflector is clocked properly to the bucket.

Also I've seen bulb sockets not correctly clocked to the reflector, and this resulted in the filaments being vertical rather than the correct horizontal placement.

Once you are sure of these two parts being correct, then you can AIM and FOCUS the light.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Walt Ebie

Thanks, JW & Tom for your help. based on what you have said, here is where I am: It is a '30 Deluxe coupe with cowl lights so the single-bulb thing is apparently okay. After checking one of the headlights again, it appears Tom may have hit it. When the bulb is in place in the socket the filaments are vertical and neither one looks longer than the other (Les Andrews mentioned that on Pg 1-216 in the red book).So I guess my next step is to remove the plug from the back of the light, pull off the lens and remove the reflector so I can get at the socket and turn it about 45 degree or so in order for the filaments to end up horizontal. Does that sound like I'm going in the right direction? By the way, once I have access to the socket will it turn in place or does it have to be removed and reinserted?
Old 10-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
d.j. moordigian

There are 2 styles of single bulb reflectors. Were the gasket goes on the outer part of
the reflector..

If it has NO lip on the outer edge.....it's for the "fluted lens".
If it has a lip on the outer edge....it's for the rest of the lens.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Walt Ebie

Thanks, guys....after getting the lens and reflector off, it wasn't too difficult to get the socket turned into the right position. Now the filaments are horizontal and I can try to aim and focus the lights.