Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default parts in New Zealand

Have any of you fellows from New Zealand ever buy any parts from these guys http://www.ace-customs.com/products.html I was wondering about the quality of their parts. I am considering buying a set of their y-block Mercury valve covers and a few other items that I don't see for sale here in the USA. They are located in Palmerston North I think. Thanks,----Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
Karl

Default Re: parts in New Zealand

Hi Jim

Never heard of them and I live only 15 minutes away form Palmerston North . However I have some friends who are into Hot Rods and I will ask them for an opinion . Your issue will be freight costs but to counteract that the exchange rate is very much in your favour currently -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Bassman/NZ

Jimmy Keeys is an avid hot-rodder and good guy. He has a hemi powered 34 coupe, and his wife has a custom 49-50 Mercury. He is straight up and down, I have no problem dealing with him. He has a trade stand at most of the shows/swap meets around these parts.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
Alaska Jim

Karl, and Bassman/ NZ. thanks for the responses. I was wondering if the quality of the valve covers were about equal to the offenhousers. I like the Mercury covers these guys have. Yes the exchange rate works out well the cost would be about $223 U.S. and Jimmy e-mailed me that freight would be about $85 U.S. . a lot less than I was expecting. I will think it over, I do like those valve covers. sorry everyone, I know this is the flathead section, but I knew there are guys on here from N.Z. that are regulars, and figured I could get some good info from them, and I did . Thank you all very much
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Karl

The feedback from my contacts sounds good as well -Karl
Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

I haven't seen the OHV covers, but the stuff I have seen or bought has been very good.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #7
Karl

Heh Bassman what Bass do you play ? I have a genuine early 1965 Hofner 500/1 Violin bass(which I play badly!) -Karl
Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #8
Graeme / New Zealand

I recognised the Keeys name from old NZ Hot rod magazines. He's been around for light years. I would be surprised if his stuff is crap. Kiwi rodders that manufacture their own stuff usually pride themselves on workmanship and often manufacture because they think they can design and manufacture a better product than someone else at a better price and because NZ is so small any rodders "worth their salt" are known to other rodders, so they are not going to compromise their reputation. When rodding was younger here speed equipment from the US was hard to get and expensive...so what does a kiwi rodder do if he can't get or afford the stuff, he makes his own. Ingenuity is in our DNA. The late Bruce Mclaren is an example.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #9
Alaska Jim

Thanks Graeme, with recommendations from you and all the others I have placed an order for 2 sets of the finned Mercury valve covers. Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 AM   #10
Bassman/NZ

Hahaha... Jimmy owes us a commission!
Karl, I have a Fender Precision and a German double bass. I seldom play bass guitar these days, almost solely upright. A 1965 Hofner, does that have the pickups close together or wide apart? Early pics of McCartney show him with the early one with close pickups, then around 65 or 66 he got a new one with the spread pickups and adjustable bridge.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:29 AM   #11
Karl

His first bass was a 1961 which he refinished for use on Revolution (it was subsequently stolen from a cupboard in the Apple studios in 1968/69) His second bass was a 1963 and the 65 has the same width pickups. The 65 has a slight narrower neck and slightly different tuning pegs and Hofner logo on the head stock when compared with the 63/64. Both have the dumb Hofner pick up switch Rhthym Solo and nothing ! Its lovely to play although recently has developed a buzz on the E and is currently with Ray Mercer in Wellington getting set up again. I also play an early Gibson J-160E 6 string like Lennon and Harrison played on almost all the early Beatles recordings. Even with my ham fisted playing it gives you the real Beatles sound . My daughter who plays much better than me and sings like an angel plays a 1973 Martin D-28. Karl
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #12
JWL
Member Emeritus

I rehearsed with a group and the bass player used a French built stand-up monster which was made in the 1790 year era. It was still absolutely a beautiful piece and sounded great.

I apologize for wasting band width talking about a band.

JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
my4dv8

Quality products , fit well , great casting. He does deliver to the US. We have used several of his products including Y block parts. He makes his own patterns from scratch and cast in a local foundry , though he may be busy at present as one of the foundarys had a fire and he is in the process of remaking some patterns , the masters all survived as safe at his shop.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
His first bass was a 1961 which he refinished for use on Revolution (it was subsequently stolen from a cupboard in the Apple studios in 1968/69) His second bass was a 1963 and the 65 has the same width pickups. The 65 has a slight narrower neck and slightly different tuning pegs and Hofner logo on the head stock when compared with the 63/64. Both have the dumb Hofner pick up switch Rhthym Solo and nothing ! Its lovely to play although recently has developed a buzz on the E and is currently with Ray Mercer in Wellington getting set up again. I also play an early Gibson J-160E 6 string like Lennon and Harrison played on almost all the early Beatles recordings. Even with my ham fisted playing it gives you the real Beatles sound . My daughter who plays much better than me and sings like an angel plays a 1973 Martin D-28. Karl
Ray Apahine- Mercer is a talented bugger not only with guitars. He was with the 70s band Dedikation, a Wellington City Counsellor, honoury Fisheries Officer and "protector" of the Wellington coastine. He also restored a 35 Dodge coupe himself that is one of the nicest restorations I have ever seen.

GB

Old 09-30-2015, 02:50 AM   #15
Karl

Really nice guy as well. He tells me he does woodgraining as well . Using the Grain-IT technologies method which is the way it was done in the factory -Karl
Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Voycey

Ahipene Mercer , great guy , I was his neighbour and helped him drag that Dodge back from Dunedin in the 90s , he helped me drag a trailer load of 36 parts from Tauranga . We both still have our cars,
Voycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #17
Voycey

Rays Dodge Coupe , it is s beaut and mostly restored by him. Twin side mounts really stands out. His woodgraining is an art in itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6195102.jpg (75.0 KB, 15 views)
Voycey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #18
Graeme / New Zealand

Yes its beautiful. I went to an Early American Car club show, years ago and voted for this car over the vast aray of Fords there.

GB