Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2005, 04:01 AM   #1

Default Front engine seal

I am trying to replace the old front rope seal on my 36 enngine. I would like to replace the old pulley with a nos one to have a good surface for the seal. Does anyone know where I may purchase one? The part # is 18-6312 A

Thank you

Old 03-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Front engine seal

let me know if you find a source. i want one too same problem. ken ct.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:07 AM   #3

I hadthe same problem. Had a local machine shop sleve it. Worked for me and I will be doing another one I believe.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #4

On my 59 ab i had to use a sleeve that goes over the worn part of the pulley.

I don't have the part # here but i took my pulley to carquest and they used a mic on it and got me the right one to fit. I used the one piece front seal from speedway.

When i put the 8ba together i went to a new seal i got from some flathead racer -(alumn) with o-ring. and put a new sleeve on thel pulley again. Bill

Old 03-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #5

IF your pulley measures between 1.623 and 1.628, as 4 of mine did in a quick check, you want a national redi-sleeve #99162 and seal #450066. ice the pulley in your freezer and heat the sleeve with a hair-dryer. the seal is a little hard to get around here; took a few days from my supplier. the seal that at least one of the venders is selling, national #224045 IS NOT MEANT to be used on a 1.625 shaft!! this info. is from national, not me. you can cram it on, but it is VERY tight. the completely rubber coated ones that snyder's model a's sells are fine. i'm sure there are others. the # 450066 cost me $6.20. looking forward to feedback on this one.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #6

Carquest also has the redi-sleeves under part # SLS 99162. I think NAPA also has them under the same number.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information on the seal for the flathead. I will be trying this out in a few days