Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
johncusano

Default Problem with carbs. 94's

Put in mid cam dual carb offy intake,2 94 carbs in my 59a engine. The carbs have 59 on the side of them i believe they are AA1. trying to get each set up one at a time, after a little bit of idling the engine shuts off like the key was turned off,got good spark thou.brand new ngk plugs are black loaded with soot,2 rebuild kits in both carbs.Anyone find out that the 1 11/32 float setting was still to high?
johncusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Problem with carbs. 94's

When you change cam the vacuum of the engine changes and the power valve in your carb is vacuum activated.
So for a start you need a powervalve with another value.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
Mart

Can you fit a vacuum gauge and read the vacuum at idle?

There are many reasons a 94 will run over rich. They can all be fixed.

I list them out in this thread:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197943

Lots of good advice there from all contributors.

Most likely culprit is an incorrectly fitted power valve. The modern replacements need to be remachined to fit the 94s properly.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

1 11/32 is the height I use. I trend in my own direction with 94's.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
johncusano

15 in. at idle,20 when brought up, the valves that came in the kit have no valve on them.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
johncusano

Anyone have a pic of the correct power valve gasket? And what valve comes with a rebuild kit for the 94. From Joe’s antique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
chap52

I have the same setup, 2 94's, offy intake, 3/4 cam, and was advised by "Charlie NY" to remove the PV's and install PV plugs in the carbs. (got them from him) and it has worked out great.
Might touch base with him. I know that he will have the correct gaskets for you. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
johncusano

15 in of vaccum divide by 2 = 7.5 and that’s what I got for power valve. Is this the correct gasket?IMG_0490.jpg

Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
tubman

It's not the gasket so much as the power valve itself. Later Holley carburetors used a power valve that looks almost exactly like those for our carburetors and screws into the carburetor just fine. However, the way they seat is different and they are prone to leaking if used. That being said, I would certainly expect kits from Joe's would have the correct ones. I think there is a photo somewhere on the internet that shows the difference between the early and late versions. If you can't find it, maybe I can.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
zzlegend

Not that mine is the as yours, but I run dual 94's with 4.5 power valves. Starts and runs fine. I did rejet the carbs twice to dial it in. I bought the power valves from a vendor that I have bought from before that deals in carb and kit parts. They are machined very flat one the sealing edge and seal perfect. Not sure if float level is your problem. Keep tinkering. You will get it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Init1

I chased the exact problem around until I discovered a poor spark.
Check your spark at the plugs. Wrong jetting, power valves AND poor spark will foul plugs quick.
Init1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
johncusano

Blocked off Power Valves, kept stock 51 jets, leaning towards not enough power getting to coil or bad ground somwhere. No more points,Pertronics electronic module and Flame Thrower coil.Need to do some more checks,any info would help.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Init1

If you are running a Pertronix system you don't need a resistor. Check the voltage before the points, after the points and at the plugs. Low voltage will foul plugs
Quickly.
Init1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Can you fit a vacuum gauge and read the vacuum at idle?

The modern replacements (power valves) need to be remachined to fit the 94s properly.

Mart.
I recently rebuilt my 94 (91-99) and I just used the new power valve in the kit including the gasket furnished. Works like a champ. Mine didn't need to be re-machined. What gives? I did get the kit from Bob Drake so maybe they did their magic. I used the same gasket as pictured in the above.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
johncusano

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
I recently rebuilt my 94 (91-99) and I just used the new power valve in the kit including the gasket furnished. Works like a champ. Mine didn't need to be re-machined. What gives? I did get the kit from Bob Drake so maybe they did their magic. I used the same gasket as pictured in the above.

Don’t think it was ever my carbs. The brand new pertronics electronic ign. Was bad. But the points back in runs like a champ. Waiting for a replacement module.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
Ford Freak

Which Igniter # unit did you use ? I ? or II ? (I believe there may be a III now , also ?)
I know the Igniter I has a reputation for failing . I have never had a problem w/the Igniter II 's in my 3 cars . - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncusano View Post
Don’t think it was ever my carbs. The brand new pertronics electronic ign. Was bad. But the points back in runs like a champ. Waiting for a replacement

Why not just stick with the points?
flatjack9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #18
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Why not just stick with the points?
That's the first thing that crossed my mind when he commented as well. I will repeat my story. When I got my '51 in 1987, I did a tuneup, new points, plugs, etc. Two years ago, the engine developed a funny noise, so I pulled it and replaced it with a warmed over '51 Merc with a Mallory dual point. Just for the hell of it, I inspected the old Load-a-matic. Everything in it looked like new; there was no discernible pitting on the points. The car had run flawlessly for 30 years and over 20,000 miles. I just don't get this "rush to problems".

To the O/P : Re-read your post from yesterday and explain to me how it makes sense.

This reminds me of what the guy at Carmichel Auto Parts used to say back in the day when we asked him if he was sure the part we'd just bought was good. "If it don't work, bring it back and I'll give you another one just like it!"

Last edited by tubman; 05-11-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added a humorous anecdote.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
johncusano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
That's the first thing that crossed my mind when he commented as well. I will repeat my story. When I got my '51 in 1987, I did a tuneup, new points, plugs, etc. Two years ago, the engine developed a funny noise, so I pulled it and replaced it with a warmed over '51 Merc with a Mallory dual point. Just for the hell of it, I inspected the old Load-a-matic. Everything in it looked like new; there was no discernible pitting on the points. The car had run flawlessly for 30 years and over 20,000 miles. I just don't get this "rush to problems".

To the O/P : Re-read your post from yesterday and explain to me how it makes sense.

This reminds me of what the guy at Carmichel Auto Parts used to say back in the day when we asked him if he was sure the part we'd just bought was good. "If it don't work, bring it back and I'll give you another one just like it!"

Idk Tubman. Ur dist is easier to get to replace crap. I’m not saying I’m putting the pertronics back in. Right. I’ll have it for stock maybe.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #20
johncusano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Freak View Post
Which Igniter # unit did you use ? I ? or II ? (I believe there may be a III now , also ?)
I know the Igniter I has a reputation for failing . I have never had a problem w/the Igniter II 's in my 3 cars . - F F

Just says igniter. No 1 2 or 3.