Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2023, 11:24 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Thread chaser thread

I just had to clean up some damaged threads on a steering wheel shaft. Some PO had done some beating on the end. We all know that even if I had a 5/8" fine thread die, it could be tricky getting it started correctly with the bad end even after some careful filing. I taught myself this trick many years ago when working on an axle. I take a good nut of the size required, cut a slot clean through one side with a cutoff wheel. Most of the time I need to cut a slot in the opposite side for some give. Now spread this nut open with a chisel until it will start. Once you are sure it's on straight, wiggle the chisel free and bottom out the nut on it's threads. Now with vice grips closing the gap, back the nut outwards. Sometimes it takes two or three passes, closing the gap with the vice grips. Sometimes I get a back cut on the through slot such that it meets the damaged threads at a good angle of attack. A lug nut is a good candidate if the size allows as they are tall. Castelated nuts with their turrets cleaning the threads is also a plus. Maybe this is a common fix, but I have never worked with mechanics, so I do what I can with what I have. Never throw away one of those big diameter nuts from a full floating rear axle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thread chaser.jpg (137.1 KB, 672 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:30 AM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Thread chaser thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I just had to clean up some damaged threads on a steering wheel shaft. Some PO had done some beating on the end. We all know that even if I had a 5/8" fine thread die, it could be tricky getting it started correctly with the bad end even after some careful filing. I taught myself this trick many years ago when working on an axle. I take a good nut of the size required, cut a slot clean through one side with a cutoff wheel. Most of the time I need to cut a slot in the opposite side for some give. Now spread this nut open with a chisel until it will start. Once you are sure it's on straight, wiggle the chisel free and bottom out the nut on it's threads. Now with vice grips closing the gap, back the nut outwards. Sometimes it takes two or three passes, closing the gap with the vice grips. Sometimes I get a back cut on the through slot such that it meets the damaged threads at a good angle of attack. A lug nut is a good candidate if the size allows as they are tall. Castelated nuts with their turrets cleaning the threads is also a plus. Maybe this is a common fix, but I have never worked with mechanics, so I do what I can with what I have. Never throw away one of those big diameter nuts from a full floating rear axle.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
flatford8

Necessity.........the mother of invention......you must be the elder son.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:56 PM   #4
Mart

I've done that exact same job but got all fancy and split a die in 2 pieces. Those old type tap and die sets that have split dies are great for this. I have a UNC set but not a UNF one. There is a rethreader tool that unhinges and has common thread forms. They're pretty handy if you can find one.

What you did with the nut is great if nothing else comes to hand.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:50 PM   #5
Ray in La Mesa

I love your custom tool approach! Gotta make do when you're almost off the grid.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:57 PM   #6
nickthebandit

There are thread re-storing files in a set that encompasses 16 thread pitch sizes. They work well, I use them frequently. I think harbor freight sells them too. It is a tool that you only need once in a while, but then you are happy that you have it. I also have the re-threading hinge tool mentioned above. In fact, I have 2 of them. I use mine mostly to repair the threads on ford spindles as they are 11 / 16"- 18 threads, a Ford thread, not a common thread. I paid $ 45.00 for one of those tools, and the first time that I used it to save a beat up spindle, it was worth the cost.

Last edited by nickthebandit; 04-07-2023 at 10:02 AM.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:01 PM   #7
Vics Stuff

That is a good tech tip
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
busmania

Nice. I have to do this exact job and was kind of worried about it. It seems you only get one try!

What is the size of the thread on a 40 column?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #9
cas3

Here's the real deal. Another one of those expensive tools you seldom use...but nice to have when you need it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4B24C3FE-14B3-46D1-B010-1FFBFB5F6B1A.jpg (18.5 KB, 111 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:07 PM   #10
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Nice. I have to do this exact job and was kind of worried about it. It seems you only get one try!

What is the size of the thread on a 40 column?
5/8-18. Standard 5/8 UNF thread.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:33 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Here's the real deal. Another one of those expensive tools you seldom use...but nice to have when you need it
Agree 100%. That and those thread chaser tap and dies. I use them all quite a bit while working on these old Fords.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:23 AM   #12
1952henry

Good tip, Gary.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #13
ford38v8

Just a note of caution: The early ford differential has interference fit threads to fit the axle housings, intended to help prevent oil leaks. Do not chase those threads.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Just a note of caution: The early ford differential has interference fit threads to fit the axle housings, intended to help prevent oil leaks. Do not chase those threads.
So, yer sayin' we better not goober those threads up or it's a new housing. Thanks for the heads up.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-06-2023, 04:22 AM   #15
nickthebandit

The tool that cas3 shows is the type of tools that I have. They work well and are worth the money ( $ 45.00 ) that I paid for each of them.

Last edited by nickthebandit; 04-07-2023 at 10:03 AM.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:43 AM   #16
slowforty

I found that working by yourself or living away from normal civilization(?) is a good way to think up ways of doing things. Most of the stuff I work on is already broke. So I cant make it worse(maybe)
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #17
pistonbroke

It's this sort of knowledge that keeps me coming back to places like this. My old Friend Slim who owned a junk yard down by the county line once told me to stop trying to take the bolts out of a 40 ford front fender to get it off. He took my 1/2"drive set and tightened every bolt maybe a quarter turn and they all snapped off. This guy was in his seventies and it took him about 20 minuets to pull that fender. I was stunned. Know how is king and common sense is his sword. Thank you Gary for the know how. Tim
pistonbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #18
GB SISSON

Thanks for the kind words. As you can tell from my wordy posts, we don't get a lot of visitors out here. My buddy likes to say "One thing for sure Gary, your tombstone won't say 'He was a man of few words' "

Oh and I just posted this on the chinese knock off carb thread, but I'm still feeling it and in the spirit of 'Old Guys Rule', I'll post it here as well. Lots of knowledgeble looking old guys in this clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0
Old 04-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #19
51504bat

After reading this thread I thought I should have one like posted above. Found one at a swap meet yesterday but the $40.00 asking price seemed a bit steep to me. But a couple of spaces away a guy had one for 5 bucks. Much more in my budget range. I had to tell him what it was for. Hopefully I'll never need it but if I do I've got it. Unless I forget where I put it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tool2.jpg (29.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg tool1.jpg (29.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 10:08 AM   #20
cas3

Well that sure was a bargain ! You can afford to take the wife out for breakfast now and score some points
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote