Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
The "A" Team

Default Starter missing flywheel

Hi everyone,

I just recently put my father's 1930 Model A Coupe back together after he took it apart to restore it around 20 years ago and never finished. Everything seems to be running pretty well after reinstalling the engine, transmission, etc., but the only thing I'm noticing is that the starter sometimes seems to miss the flywheel on startup. It doesn't do it every time, but sometimes when I press on the "button" it whirs really fast like a drill, which tells me it's not engaged to the flywheel. After a couple of times of pressing the button, it does engage the flywheel and pretty much starts right up. Is this normal, or does something need to be adjusted?

Thanks as always.

John
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Starter missing flywheel

The Model A engine tends to stop at one or two places on the flywheel over and over again. Naturally, the ring gear teeth in this area get chewed up by the Bendix drive more than the rest of the almost unused teeth. 'Sorry. No easy cure. The only fix is to replace the ring gear. Some guys just heat the ring gear and rotate it a couple inches so that fresh teeth now engage with the starter drive. But occasionally the engine will stop at a different place and may encounter the old ground down teeth = Problem reoccurs. For all the work required to heat and move the gear, why not just install a new ring gear so that there will never be a problem like this again in your lifetime?
In the meantime, you can "cheat" a little and stall the engine by slowly letting out the clutch in gear while holding the brake pedal down. This will force the engine to stop in an unnatural place where the ring gear teeth will still be good. Be sure to turn off the ignition switch afterwards! This is only a stop gap measure to make life tolerable until you can replace the ring gear. If necessary, you can use the hand crank to turn the flywheel a couple degrees to reach unused/unabused teeth on the ring gear. But that gets old FAST!!!
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 10-03-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
john charlton

Take the spark plugs out and then remove the starter . Get a comely assistant or wife/girlfriend and get her to slowly rotate the engine on the crank handle . Shine a flashlight on the ring to see the ring gear state of health . With the starter out check the free sliding motion of the bendix helix to see if any binding .

John in same place same weather .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Mine does the same thing occasionally. I just hit the button a second time and she fires right up. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, I think it is just the starter gets hung up every so often. At least that is my story and I am sticking too it.

Mike
Old 10-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
Benson

If you check out the ring gear and find it good, try this:

If someone used grease or a heavy oil like 600W or even 40 W on starter Bendix, the gear will not engage and starter will just spin.

The colder the temperature the worse the problem.

If "spiral" is rusty the problem will be worse.

Thoroughly clean the bendix with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner. Be sure all grease is removed from the "Spirals" especially.

Then lube with thin oil like "three in one" or sewing machine oil.

Last edited by Benson; 10-03-2022 at 01:32 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
Tom Endy

If it is a replacement starter ring gear, pull the starter and see if it is walking forward. The reproductions sometimes do not fit tight. When the starter engages it wants to pull the ring gear forward away from the stop. When installing a new ring gear. I always have them pinned. You can tap it back into place by rotating the engine. It will hold for a while.

Henry should have designed it so that the starter pulls it against the stop, not away from it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
The "A" Team

The ring gear and bendix gear all looked good when I reassembled the engine, with no worn or missing teeth. After it spins once or twice, it does fall into place back into the gear, so I was thinking it was moving away like Tom said.

I'll pull the starter off and inspect all the pieces, and even clean it up and oil it like Benson said.
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

The 3 in 1 oil should work fine but I like to use a dry lubricant in such places as this or on brake pivot points. Less chance of dirt build up on the moving parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Slip-Plate-Pl...%2C154&sr=8-19
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Synchro909

Are you using an original style Bendix or one of those awful modern things that don't fully engage the ring gear. They will chew up the teeth. Don't ask how I know.
Also, if the teeth are chewed up, they can put so much side load on the pinion that the starter shaft will bend. I've seen that on even the stronger 5/8" shafts.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
nkaminar

Where I live the farmers will always park their trucks on the top of a hill.

I am going to go with what Benson said.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #11
katy

Does it do it when the engine is warm? Or only when it's been sitting, like overnight? If the latter, it's probably the spiral on the bendix hanging up as Benson suggsted. An old trick is, when you shut the engine off, bump the starter button to engage the bendix, then it's already engaged the next time you start the engine.