Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #1
PeterBo

Default Fender well installation

I am considering putting a spare tire fender well into a fender already on my car. I have the fender well from Snyders with clear instructions how to do it, but has anyone actually done this? I am looking for issues and problems I might face.

For example, 1) is there the likelihood of distorting the fender and making it hard to refit to the car?

2) with respraying the modified fender (black), I am also going to have to respray the fender on the opposite side. While this is a pain, I don't see any choice.

3) are there any issues with fitting the spare wheel support arm to the sub-frame for the new spare wheel?

4) could the fender well be fitted without taking the fender off the car or is it just too awkward?

Any ideas or help appreciated.

Thanks,
PeterBo
PeterBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Fender well installation

Let me preface this by suggesting that if you are considering doing this on a 28/29 open car, ....don't. The lack of door opening severely hampers egress/ingress from the cabin of the car unless you are a short, thin person.

1) Yes

2) Yes, by the time you have cut and spot welded it in, you will need to repaint.

3) Not if you can locate the carrier mount in the proper location. Most times, the frame has slight depressions where the rivet holes are to be drilled.

4) If you are good enough, it could be mounted on the car and done however your lack of experience in this regard will likely handicap you.

As for other issues you might face, ...the repro wells are not of the correct shape and size, so this affects the installation along with the mounting of the tire/wheel. Most people also do not cut their fender correctly with the correct shape. IMO, there are WAY more botched jobs out there than correctly installed ones.

And finally, welcome to Fordbarn!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

There is a guy who does fender wells in fender. He is in the PA area I believe. You drop off the fenders at Hershey and he would take them home and do them over night. You pick them up the next day.

Obviously he has a form. He cuts the hole and hammers the flange on the fender. Then spot welds the well.

If you do not have metal working experience and the correct tools I would say just leave them alone.

If anyone is in the NJ area I have a left fender with a factory well. Needs some work. Easy patching of holes and replacing the well. Critical details are decent.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

The guys that are into modified cars hate fender wheel wells, it spoils the lines. For some reason a lot of restorers don't like fender wells (could be the getting in and out issues). Look for someone to swap fenders (be sure to look on HAMB also). Having said that I like fender wells. I have a pickup with no other place for the spare (except a mount to hang it under the truck bed). I am in the process of adding one to my '32 Sedan so I can carry luggage in the back and people inside the car. As you can tell, I would leave it there.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Russ/40

Wish you were closer.... I'd love to get a nice unwelld one. Both of mine have wells.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
180 a

the man at Hershey is William Gift, 226 North Street, Chambersburg PA. (717) 264-6075

He has done several for me and does a wondreful job veay reasonable

Ron
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote