Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #241
[email protected]

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Well I gotta go, Don't let your meat loaf. Oh I probably should stop with bad lines.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out in the shop and start getting things ready to go to Mr Loso's shop on Wednesday. I'll finish the sandblasting there because his cabinet is so much nicer than mine. I'm going to measure all the bronze bushings to assure they're not to the point where I've lost my clearances. I have to try to save as much as I can on this rebuild. I will be replacing the magneto coils and the clutch disks (going with the turbo 400 discs) All 3 transmission drums seem to be in good shape except the one is a little chewed where the clutch discs go. But i really don't know how bad it can be before I need to replace it. I've already got the new kevlar bands together so I'll avoid those costs. Actually I was running those when I lost the magneto. So barring any huge expenses I'll put new gaskets in the lower end. We'll have to straighten the oil pan and I've still got to build up that rear main bearing and lest I forget, I still need to recharge the magnets. And I'd like to have a lot of it done so I've got plenty of work to do when we have the monthly garage meeting for the Great Northern Model T Club. And I'm excited to see how far things will be and if the job will still seem so unmanageable when the meeting is done. It may be the kick I need to finish the job.

My accountant is trying to see if he can find some things to keep me from having to send this years income to Uncle Sam. He's good but, I don't know if he's $7000.00 worth of good.

And now I've got a question. Will I be able to find out if I have any severe problems with u-joints by cranking, twisting, jerking and performing other contortions with the front end of the driveshaft as it sticks out of the torque tube? I don't have really any suspicions there is something bad but if there's some way I can find a little comfort by eliminating possibilities I'd like to go for it.

And now it's time for me to pour some good Canadian Whiskey over some ice cubes and relax for awhile before I jump into the old fart sack. Oh wait I divorced the old fart sack. Bwah hahahahahahaha
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #242
yachtsmanbill

Dont let your kitchen sink...

On the U joint.... theres an X and a Y axis. The X is held in a plane by the driveshaft busing and the Y by the 4th main. The only things to check are the trunnions by feeler gage. Mine felt really loose yet had only .010 clearance yet the book allows .025 (?)
Is this on the 26? If so trheres replaceable lugs for the clutch discs at $.89/ea. On the 25 yer skewed. Personally, the PEM clutch should be good unless its visually burned. Save the $$$. Model Ts like running loose trannies so dont get too worked up over loose bushings except triple gear stuff where running clearances will eat up the gears. If you take the magnets off your opening up another can of worms. On my trans job, I needed a new low speed drum and all I neede was a single bushing for that. No biggie as long as OSO has the pullers youll need. I didnt so I had to make them... another 2-3 days shot!
I did replace the MAG coil from Wally in Chicago for $160. Andy will be able to show you how to reset the clearances on that. Another day shot. ws

replaceable clutch lugs

It a rotten shame to hafta hide this!

clean them up on the wire wheel. These actually looked like new with a cross hatch pattern and all...
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #243
yachtsmanbill

All in all not too darn bad... ws

MID dis-assembly

bushings were good. Mustve been redone at one point

Yer goose is COOKED! Lay off the WINZER while working LOL...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #244
[email protected]

Without my Windzur I'd probably have to turn to MacMastards. Otherwise the insanity would cause the last little flame of hope to be extinguished and I'd stand naked in front of a world of ignorant people throwing napalm.

The clutch discs still need to be cleaned and evaluated. When I did take a fast perusal of them I recall thinking they might be ok.

According to the previous owner of my T it had been completely restored in the '50s and I've found a lot of evidence that what he's saying is true. But, it's obvious the work was done on a shoestring and though he was obviously an amateur at rebuilding he still did things pretty good with what he had to work with.

After the rebuild he drove it whenever he had a chance. He was a farmer in Minnesota and the only season we have to drive our car is in the summer between planting season and harvesting season and with putting up hay an important endeavor his opportunities as to when he was able to drive his car were limited.

And after he passed away his son took ownership of the T and says he only drove it a few times to parades and a few times in the summer to keep it loosened up. Actually the only evidence I found of parts being worn beyond use were the bands and when I pulled them out they were shredded.

The only reason I'm going through the transmission now is to rebuild the mag and the only reason I'm doing any thing with the engine is because of excessive crankshaft endplay that's keeping the magneto from firing. So the real goal of all this is to rebuild the magneto. But as long as the transmission is apart I figured it is a good idea to evaluate and replace any parts that might be excessively worn. It appears to me the only parts that need attention are the magneto coils which need replacement and the magnets need recharging. Beyond that I want to assure the oil pan is flat and build up the thrust surfaces on the rear main bearing in order to get rid of the crankshaft endplay.
Let's go.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #245
yachtsmanbill

So how'd it go so far??? Old sailors saying... Green to green, red to red... all is well so go ahead, when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... Had a banner day today, but towards the end I was doing the Texas Two Step... Id turn around looking for something and being unable to find it would see something else and tackle that. Of course half way through #2, part #1 would show up... Got overwhelmed which seems to happen with increasing frequency these days... Hope its not a sign of things to come!

Spent a few hours making a Beautiful template for the fire wall. The bottom side fits nicely, but I couldnt figure out what to do with the top, or lead in to the cowl. I dont have any sheet metal forming stuff so I need to keep the curves simple. I also want to keep a low profile (!!) Some of those speedsters have a cowl that comes WAYYYY up instead of a windshield.... looks fugly. Looks like Im gonna make a steel frame and skin it with some 18ga sheetmetal in panels done with rivets or stainless screws that show for effect... ws

Trying to get the maximum amount of foot space but the height looks terrible. Its concentric to the hood former

This is about the width of a 26-27 hood/cowl but would have a massive flat front making the transition --- fugly

plenty of room for controls. Played with skinnier and thought about putting brake lever outside... not quite there yet!

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 03-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #246
yachtsmanbill

Finally after #3 overwhelmage, I trimmed the panel down to 1" larger than the former with a nice 3/4 routered edge. The wood will get epoxy saturated after its really dry (pressure treated) which after a good sanding will make for a nice smooth finish and hopefully out last me! ws

Looks a bit more streamlined.

plenty of room to play footsies

Handbrake is still inside with enuff room to get the paw on it. Notice the curvature following he rad shell/cowl/side cowling line. Wont have any doors, just a step through notch to a few inches above the floor
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #247
yachtsmanbill

Pat and I both played make believe today. Guessing the OEM gas tank was about the right height we sat on it to make sure there was enuff room for our, ah, er, bottoms. Ts are supposeed to be cozy anyway, so a little friction on the cheeks is to be expected. Our totals were 32 inches wide and the inside clearance is 34. I can live with that.
I was surprised at the height and pedal reach... seems good, now to figger out the steering wheel height... ws

Gonna make some rings to lace into the hood hinge with straps down to the frame...

One of my favorite tools for holding stuff down for marking/cuting etc...
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #248
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post

One of my favorite tools for holding stuff down for marking/cuting etc...
There's no way I'd trust that wire brush to hold down anything for me. Have you ever considered using that 50 lb weight you got sittin' there? It probably weighs as much as 49 1/2 pounds more than any damn wire brush.
Let's go.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #249
[email protected]

There's nothing I like more than my model T's. And given the right circumstances I'm all over it. I like working on it and I like driving it. I also enjoy being a member of our local model t club. But now my focus isn't on my model t. I've got a lot more important things that need to be tended to. And time, money, and focus have to be directed to something else for the next couple months. And until the issues I've got going with my accountant and our favorite Uncle I'll not be able to focus my attention anywhere else. I really like my hobbies but I have to like them on my time. When it's time to work on my hobbies I'll do it. I may have to pay for not being able to work on it now, but that's the price for having to refocus my efforts.
Let's go.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #250
yachtsmanbill

Thats OK Mike... Ill do enough for the both of us... If yer not done by summer, come stay on the boat for a week over here and we'll bop around here in the P'NATOR... ws
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #251
yachtsmanbill

Ended up playing Domestik Oberst today... did some UPS shipping and then off to the grocery store. Got home with TWO C.A.R.E. packages by the door... The missing piece to the OSO puzzle (Thanks Andy!! ) and a new 3 jaw chuck for the toy lathe. Its a 7 inch 1903 Dalton that came with a 4 jaw that was all wore out. This 3 jaw will greatly simplify things like making THAT bushing for the OSO bracket! Stay tuned on that one!

I think tomorrow I am gonna encapsulate that new firewall with epoxy resin (just like boat work only different!) and while thats curing in the SUN at 60F tomorrow, Ill be cleaning the shop. YUP, I do that a lot. Seems when I do a phase, I drop tools where the lay (?). Like I probably have about 5 of EVERYTHING! Sold some substantially large boat parts to a pal in Fla. and had to box them up, so theres shipping debris all over the place! Kinda chomping at the bit to get the body stuff underway here... youll see progress in the next week or so... ws

Chinaman make happy machine tools... This is a quality piece for $90... USA made wouldve been $500... I really despise those bastards, but what are ya gonna do... AND they know it!!!

This is the missing link... Ill zip out a brass bushing in the new chuck and then make a new crank handle so that Ill be able to work on getting this guy to run... Snowballs roll downhill dont they???

SOLAR FLARES TOMORROW so Im sure our communications are gonna suffer... What I wanna know is why comms from Chinaman and OPEC arent affected like it is for us? Thats gonna give those *******'s yet another day advantage on Yankee.... AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #252
[email protected]

Keep up the good fight. Really excited to watch your progress. Worked all day long to put documents together to prove to them that they were $26,000.00 to high on my gross wages for 2011. And put together the amount of interest I paid on mortgages. I think I dug up as much info as they need but I'm really not good with money and bookkeeping and all that goes along with these tax things, and everything they want from me is adding to the frustration. Andy has been trying to get me to focus my attention on my Model T but I can't. And it's hard to tell him to back off because of all the support he's given me. He really is a Ford guys best ally. I know I act like I'm into the touring car but none of it is real at this time. I keep waiting for something to flip a switch in my @$$ to get me going but it's not there. Maybe once I'm finally past April 15th I'll be able to change focus. So Bill, you and Andy and our Evansville Ind. friend (David) are going to have to keep up the fight until I can get back on board. I'm still looking forward to having our next garage meeting at my house and I'll have to spend a day cleaning my shop and getting it ready. My house keeper (Ashley) will put in the effort to get the house ready. My biggest problem is going to be keeping the exotic dancers from getting into the house and ruining the party we'll be having in the garage. If it's one thing I really didn't learn well during my 33 years of marriage is to never bring the dancing girls home at the end of the night.
Let's go.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #253
ppat324

Mike, it is I Pat....yachtsmanbills girlfriend. I am wondering about this tax thing you are involved with. Is this Federal taxes or your state? I registered on here just so I could try to help you a little. ppat
ppat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #254
fordman67

Mike! Buddy! I am sorry u are having problems...Im Aaron haha.guess I should let that out more.Don't feel bad.I am in hammer mode on my 41way tudor.My wife had come down with a case of the preggo and I am a bit freaked out and the 41 is closer to being done so I am attempting to get it done.I don't want to rush the t into being done only to be unhappy with the results.just work at your own pace and converse on here reguraly.
Sorry bill to hijack your thread.I do have a bit of good news.I just got a south bend lathe from a friend.it needs a chuck and a motor but hey,he bought it just to give it to me.what a pal! I think he wants something(haha)
And Pat,nice to see you on here,heard many refrences and it is nice to see u on.have a great day,
Aaron
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #255
yachtsmanbill

Hey Aaron! Where ya been??? Lamaze classes??? LOL. Dont worry about hijacking a thread... this is social networking for adults. I dont "friend" and I dont "tweet".... EVER! Most of these forums are pretty dry and thats the number one reason theres so little activity!
I few years ago when I sold my house I was downsizing and sold my South Bend lathe for $500. It was 100% tooled, and I mean every concievable accessory as it came from a school. Its a 1940 8"(?). If you slide the tailstock forward, theres a serial number either on top or just on the backside of the ways. You can go to www.southbendmachinery.com and research anything you need to know about it. Does it have a quick change gearbox? My Dalton doesnt and it doesnt even have half nuts for threading... wish it did; Id be making model T wheel pullers and radiator caps all day long! Theres a million $20 chucks on ebay all the time. I think its a 1-1/2" X 8 thread spindle, but dont quote me on that.
Pat sez HI! Shes really old school and likes to do "guy" stuff with me! She's a big help when I need a hand in the shop and even knows most of the hand tools AND can even start a fine thread nut left handed. Thats cool in my book! Now go rub some lotion on the Budha! ws

Willy and Ppat

The SB link didnt work but I know its there somewhere!!

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 03-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #256
fordman67

I will probably get the lathe over here to my shop next week.he works every other week so I will look for the numbers then and get to learning about it if you know what I mean.
Yea,I need some adult time over here.too much drama elsewhere.
The wife is not far along so no belly butter YET!
So if the women don't find us handsome but at least find us handy.I will take a lovely lady that is handy ANY day.you my friend are a lucky fella! And she digs the pollinator too! Wow she is a keeper.

Got my trunk floor replacement bent up,beads rolled trial fitted and front floor as well.moving right along...your coul looks good cut down.it was a bit large.
these speedsters are easy to make look bulky.keep up the good work.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #257
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Mike! Buddy! I am sorry u are having problems...Im Aaron haha.guess I should let that out more.Don't feel bad.I am in hammer mode on my 41way tudor.My wife had come down with a case of the preggo and I am a bit freaked out and the 41 is closer to being done so I am attempting to get it done.I don't want to rush the t into being done only to be unhappy with the results.just work at your own pace and converse on here reguraly.
Sorry bill to hijack your thread.I do have a bit of good news.I just got a south bend lathe from a friend.it needs a chuck and a motor but hey,he bought it just to give it to me.what a pal! I think he wants something(haha)
And Pat,nice to see you on here,heard many refrences and it is nice to see u on.have a great day,
Aaron
Your right I got you mixed up with David Martin. David and I have been writing back and forth some time now regarding respoking model t wheels. But don't get me wrong you can jump in on all my good wishes too. Now quit pissing with the '41 and work on your T. Trust me I've done the whole flathead warm-over in a '38 Ford and the built small block chevy in the '53 Ford and as far as I can see the Stock old Model T is the way to go. As well don't come down too hard on the wife. What she's going through right now is damn tough for both of you but in the end it's well worth it. One thing I've learned, a lot of times the hard way, is once that baby is born nothing can take away the bond you'll have with it. A woman can piss in your soup at any time but the blood you share with that kid will last the rest of your life. So keep in mind, right now your wife is carrying the greatest gift a man can ever receive. Congratulations.

Tonight around 9:00 pm my ex-wife walked into my house and promised me the money I needed to pay off my taxes. I guess the favor I did for her last summer stuck and she decided that now was a good time to make it up to me. Of course she did it and then before she left did what she could to screw with my head and piss me off. But I'm still damn thankful for what she's doing. Now maybe i can refocus myself back on what's important. And not worry about the government and taxes anymore.

Now does anyone want to start talking religion?
Let's go.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #258
fordman67

Mike,lord NO! And believe me she is a keeper! We have a 3 yr old already that is just the best! I am purty lucky! The 41wife is an old car with all late model drive train fron a 97 town car.dony worrk im never giving up on the t.just switching the order in wich I finish.I want .the t to be nice and im not a body man so it will take me more time but the 41u is not getting paint....so..

Good to hear that your taxes are getting in better light!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #259
yachtsmanbill

I cant make no babies, but I sure can make parts LOL...

Started out cleaning and painting the OSO mount strap... On a peculiar note, the one thats being used for the engine mount, countless others Ive used, and the bolts that Andy sent with this are all 7/16 NC threads... Id know that in my sleep, but, the other day when cleaning the mount itself, chasing the threads required a NF tap... pretty wierd eh?
While that was drying, I did some repairs to the hood center hinge. The ends each have a left and right hinge thats riveted on plus the formed piano hinge in between. Had to fab up one hinge and re=pop rivet the others. The hoods a little ruff but not really banged up... should look good when painted... soon!
After getting thoroughly disgusted with the hood for the day, I made up six frame/body mounts out of 2 X 2 - 1/8" angle iron. Got those guys cleaned and painted and installed. These are for mounting the body/deck mounting pads. Got all 8 of those made up (this is from the floor boards back) and painted 2X with flat black. Tomorrow Im gonna tackle the deck itself... ws

This shows the OEM mounts plus the new ones I had to make

pads are old growth long leaf yellow southern pine... dont ask me how I know that...

If this was for the boat, theyd have 8 coats of varnish all sanded in between coats... under a Model T, I dont think it matters, that is unless the judges get under there with a mirror and a flashlite;
Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #260
yachtsmanbill

Gotta love the varnish! ws

Dont forget to polish the brass balls either!