Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Model A Man

Default Gen charge rate

about 5 months ago I helped this lady get her 1931 deluxe roadster running that had been sitting for over 2 years. All has been good until last Thru. when she went to leave the club meeting, it would not start (acted like the battery was dead). She was towed home and another club member put a battery charger on it for her. She emailed me yesterday to say it wouldn't do anything when she tried to start it. This morning I went over there and put my volt meter on the battery and it showed it was good. so I looked around the engine compartment and everything looked good I sat in the roadster and went to start it and it started. She was shocked as she said for her it wouldn't even turn over. I did notice that the charge rate at idle shows a discharge but at driving speed it shows 10/12 amps. Is this normal? I am guessing she doesn't drive it enough to keep the battery charged (it is an optama 6V). This a sweet lady that her late husband restored the car and he did a very nice job as that is what he did for a living.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Gen charge rate

It is a long shot but check and be sure the battery cables are tight. While you are at it check all of the grounds if it cranks slow or the lights are dim.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

"I did notice that the charge rate at idle shows a discharge but at driving speed it shows 10/12 amps. Is this normal? "

It's normal if she has the third brush set for 10/12 amps. I always recommend using an electronic voltage regulator, so you don't have to worry about the adjustable brush.

If she rarely drives the car, or only drives it on short trips, she may benifit from using a battery tender that she can easily plug in when parked and quickly unplug when going for a drive.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Like Charlie stated, I would clean the terminals and make sure they were nice and tight when reinstalling them, including the grounds and the starter terminal.. It will show a discharge at idle[especially if the brake lights are on] and will show a charge rate at wherever the third brush is set.. Tom W. sells an EVR that helps this if she wants to spend the money for it..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
ford1

Thumbs up Re: Gen charge rate

10 to 12 amps is right, the meter should read about 2 amps with the lights on driving, it should show a couple of amps charge at idle, if not speed the idle up a little, at least till it dosent show a discharge
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Keep mine at 8-10 amps
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Aerocraft

I have been very happy with Tom Wesenberg's electronic voltage regulators. They work as advertised and I no longer have to adjust the third brush to my driving needs. Ask him for literature about what he makes. The prices are very fair.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote