Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
BIG MIKE

Default Another Bren Carrier Found!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...70419061_n.jpg
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Chisel

Default Re: Another Bren Carrier Found!

Where and how was it found?
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
BILL WZOREK

Chisel, You say Where & How was it found.
I say WHY was it buried ?????
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Chisel, You say Where & How was it found.
I say WHY was it buried ?????
It,s simple, for the same reason that there are many old cars buried.
There was no market for scrap iron (as there is today)
Today there are many collecting/stealing all types of metal to sell as scrap.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Fibber Mcgee

I'd like to know where it was found. Ive heard many stories of the military burying things that were not needed. Recently I was talking to a man who said that in the 50s if they didn't use all of there training rounds(howitzer size) they would dump the powder out and burn it, bury the projectiles and bring back the empty shells. He said they couldn't bring back anything they had checked out.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

I've also heard story's of aircraft carriers being loaded with new unused Jeeps air planes construction equitment being dumped at sea.
the thought was if these were brought back to the states that it would flood the market and with the large influx of GI's comeing home there would be no need to start the production of civilian items. then there would be no JOB'S Don't know if true but it makes for a good story. If true think about how many flatheads went for the swim in the deep side of the pool LOL LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Tom Walker

Well, the guys who were looking for 36 crated Spitfires in Indonesia have just found them, according to the news today...still, I wont believe it till I've seen 'em!
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
BILL WZOREK

Tom I am told you can check via Snopes ( spelling? ) if an article is true or not.
I thought I heard that a few years ago but at that time it was not true.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
G.M.

BigMike that looks like a good restoration project for you. G.M.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Barry-ct

My Dad came back after the war on a troop transport and he said the same thing, they dumped new stuff over the side of ships, rather then bring it home and flood the market. As for burying things, usually when they were damaged and not worth salvaging, they'd dig a hole and bury them or leave them where they sat. Just imagine the stuff left all over the pacific islands that's still there. Due to the climate, it's mostly rust now. I've seen reports of finding tanks buried in france and they come across them when digging. Probably the easiest way to clean up after a war. Bury it where it stood.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
rotorwrench

I used to work at an airport in Kansas that was an AAF training base during the war. There were many such bases scattered all around the mid to southern US in that time frame. Several people that had worked there during the war had mentioned that when the base was deactivated in 1945, the scraped out a large pit that you could drive vehicles into and buried a lot of stuff. I have heard various things about what was buried but tend to think some of what I'd heard was inflated to a degree. Everything from vehicles to plane parts, engines, & props went in according to accounts. When I started working there in 1980 there was a very noticeable dip in one end of the runway that would give you a pogo into the air if your airspeed was within the take off range or make you bounce if it wasn't. The runway was relatively short while the base was active but was extended in the 60s so commuter liners could operate there. That bump was where the hole was dug and it settled after the runway was extended due to the weight of the new tarmac and airtrafic landing there. There was an old wrecked VC-78 Beechcraft adjacent to the end of that runway that we used to burn for fire fighting training but that was the only piece of military gear that remained up to that time at least on the surface anyway. There have been a lot of warbird and military collectors that have wanted to dig it up & see but the runway pretty much put the kibosh on the idea.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

That's great news Mike. I am hoping to see you get that restored and back on it's 'tracks'

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
frenchy dehoux

When I was stationed in Hokaido Japan in 1971 at a Coast Guard Lorain station we buried a lots of 4x4 Jeep parts engines, trans ,and many other parts that were shipped to us in woodem boxes from Hawaii I am sure they are still there even so we gave the station back to the Japanese in 1984. I know where these parts are as I was told to bury them.

Frenchy
frenchy dehoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Graeme / New Zealand

The USMC during WWII had a base at Paekakareki here 30km up the road from me and a couple of "clicks" down the road from 52 Merc. This is where they trained and was a jumping off point tor Guadelcanal and Tarawa . Jeeps and other millitary equipment were dumped in the sea off the coast by Kapiti Island when they left( they're still digging up live mortar rounds (where the camp was It's now reserve and Farmland).

The old FOMOCO plant here has v8 and model A parts buried under extensions that were built, and allegedly under the grassed area out front. It is now a large hardware store. I've been tempted to sneak down there at night with a Bobcat and start digging that lawn up.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Ian NZ

I have seen that photo of that bren gun carrier somewhere before. I think it was taken when a backyard was dug up in the Waikato in the North Island N.Z.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #16
Lawrie

Graeme,I was an apprentice toolmaker at GM in Petone in the 60,s,my mate and I had a 28 tudor model A as our go to work car,it was well worn,another mate drove a truck and told us that they were dumping stuff from the Ford factory in seaview in the reclaim at port road,
We went down at night and there were piles of new mudgaurds ,body parts all pushed in,we got new stub axles and kingpin assys for our model a and a brand new model T rear end assy.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Chris Nelson

Unhappy Re: Another Bren Carrier Found!

In 1945 at the wars end, I was a young lad living in Manchester, Washington. Bremerton Naval Shipyard was just around the corner from us. there was a convoy of 36 ships that were turned around in the Pacific, fully loaded with war effort supplies, and sent back to Bremerton, but the shipyard had no room for them at that time, so they spent the summer aanchored in front of your summer home. They proceeded to dump over the side everything that was not welded to the ship, incluuding D8 buldozers, jeeps, food stufs, barrels of salt water soap, eggs, butter, guns, etc. etc.. We could watch them from our home. I watched them dump 12, D8 cats that were pushing skids of jeeps out the front of landing ships, then the driver would jump off and the cat would follow the jeeps into the bay. When the ships were finally moved into the Bremerton naval Shipyard, they were bare of anything that was not the personal property of the sailors onboard. Washington DC decided they did not want any of the goods to be put on the market as it was weak at that time. The Navy Yard also did not want to store all that cargo. War is a waste. I saw the same thing in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. They went to great lengths to keep it out of the people's hands.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #18
FL&WVMIKE

It makes me sick, but I had heard about the Air Force, taking the crew's leather flight jackets, putting them into a pile and burning them. That is why they are so rare, today.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
BIG MIKE

GM vers that .30 cal????
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/int...-burma/1038352

Thttp://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/british-dig-team-hunts-for-wwii-spitfire-planes-in-myanmar-7

They have found 20 to 30 = spitfires still wrapped in water proof and crated ,they are the last model produced 1,500HP ? engines .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Well, the guys who were looking for 36 crated Spitfires in Indonesia have just found them, according to the news today...still, I wont believe it till I've seen 'em!

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote