Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2024, 05:32 PM   #1
180 a

Default Roadster doors

Do the repo doors made by Brookville fit the original roadster body. Has

anyone had any trouble with alignment. Would like to know before I spend

the the big bucks for new doors.
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:18 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: Roadster doors

While Brookville makes an increadible product consider purchasing the door inners separate from the outers, allowing for fine tuning of the fit and internal details before the outer panel is installed.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:28 PM   #3
Keith True

It was pointed out to me maybe 20 years ago that the new doors have 4 tacked spots to hold the skin from moving.They are easily popped loose,and you can twist your door to fit your car.On a 28 I did back then one door was out at the top,and the other out at the bottom.When those tack spots were pointed out to me I popped them loose,twisted the door to where it needed to be,and retacked them.Still looks good today.The vendor told me that was the idea behind the 4 tacks,I don't know if it was a fact or just a story he got and repeated.Whatever it was,it worked.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:48 PM   #4
Oldbluoval

Karl and Keith…
Exactly!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:01 AM   #5
180 a

thanks for your help , with a little work you can make them work
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:55 AM   #6
Keith True

If I remember right those 4 spots are just brazed spots.Just a touch with a cutoff wheel will free them up.They are extremely easy to twist to fit too.I still have a new set for a 30 that I bought new for less than $200.each.I'll go take a look at them.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
It was pointed out to me maybe 20 years ago that the new doors have 4 tacked spots to hold the skin from moving.They are easily popped loose,and you can twist your door to fit your car.On a 28 I did back then one door was out at the top,and the other out at the bottom.When those tack spots were pointed out to me I popped them loose,twisted the door to where it needed to be,and retacked them.Still looks good today.The vendor told me that was the idea behind the 4 tacks,I don't know if it was a fact or just a story he got and repeated.Whatever it was,it worked.
Keith it may have been me that told you that, as I learned it when my son & I was up at the factory many years ago. We were touring the facility and just happened to be in their assembly shop area when they were assembling bodies at that moment. I watched them spend about 30 minutes fitting doors and the 'light bulb' came on for me when they were doing that. Definitely one of those deals where practice makes the outcome better. Them boys definitely have many hours of practice!!

To the original poster, even if the doors are ordered as two seperate pieces, -or as one that is assembled, do not expect them to fit right out of the box. You could easily have an hour or more on each one. Also, the width of your body at the top iron mounts greatly affects how the doors fit, so be prepared to adjust or re-do the Rear (Body) Rail on the body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1123.jpg (67.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1149s.jpg (84.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.jpg (66.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1166.jpg (73.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1167.jpg (71.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1146.jpg (57.9 KB, 40 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:36 PM   #8
Keith True

I'm sure you told me also.My friend was a vendor in Maine,he did mostly street rods.He learned it from a plant visit too.I was told later on,(direct from them)that the bodies were not metal prepped.They had a protective coat of temporary primer,to be stripped and painted properly.I had already painted mine by then,over their primer.Ifigured I would be stripping and painting it soon,but it's been 18 or 20 years,still looks good.I did hit it with a sealer before I painted it,I wanted to spray the deep red over gray,not over dark red primer.I had a bunch of old Dupont sealer around,might have been called Variprime????I expect it to blow off someday,that red primer can't be adhered to that metal very well.