Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
harleytoprock

Default Harbor Freight Ahooga horn

Has anyone tried the 12 volt Harbor Freight Ahooga horn on a 6 volt system?
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Harbor Freight Ahooga horn

I doubt it would sound right at half the voltage. Probably would sound like a dying duck.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

The HF horns sound like crap on 12v... I put one on my tow truck then threw it out...
6V would be even worse

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-26-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
mike657894

it will work on 6 and its tuneable. it spins faster on 12v and sounds off but on six it should sound good. mine was way out of tune when i got it. tune by loosening the lock nut and turning the allen screw. i fitted my bell from my broken horn. I had to round out the holes as they were off just a smidge. but for ten bucks i have gotten more than that out of the fun i have had with it.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Just don't expect it to replicate the original horn. Some people hate all HF products so bear that in mind! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
burner31

If you're into sick goats...this horns for you.
Never could get it tuned right for the 6V, glad too, now I have a good old one that sounds great.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

A ten buck "Ahooooooga Horn"? Holy Moly! I'm on the way down to Harbor Freight in Allentown today! Get a couple and stick them on the other modern 12-volt cars. The way my wife drives she could probably use two loud klaxon alarm horns all by herself.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
CarlG

I just installed a 12v "Spartan" horn on my Pickup. It sounds / looks great. The fellows at A&L outdid themselves on this one. (No, it wasn't $10)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Sparky

I have the HF horn (it's under the hood where it can't be seen, although I painted the bell black because the red is just too gaudy.) The horn can be made to sound a bit better on 12V. First, add a 1 ohm power resistor in series. This will slow the motor down a bit. There is also a small adjusting screw on the back, it can be turned with a hex bit. Play with it until you get the sound you prefer. I was able to change the sound from "oooga" to something closer to the proper "ah-oooga". Not perfect, but pretty good for 10 bucks.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Greg Jones

Two words told me all I would need to know to not be interested: Harbor Freight
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;1299605]Two words told me

You can buy products at HF that they sell at the big stores and pay five times the price! I don't understand why some people choose to ignore the real bargains. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 05-26-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Two words told me all I would need to know to not be interested: Harbor Freight
Well,son, that's just ignorant. I certainly wouldn't buy wrenches I counted on or tools for my professional use, but their Super Glue is fine, their air tool supplies are not too bad, their paint brushes are great for general work at a super price, the hot air guns I bought worked fine, the tape measures, usually free with a coupon, work just fine,too. The LED flashlights are a good bargain, nothing wrong with their magnetic parts trays, the floor jack I bought works as advertised,on and on.

If you accept the fact that these are tools made for occasional use and they are inexpensive, well you get what you pay for, but not everything they offer is useless. They're doing very well with the clientele they serve-but it's not Snap -On. Now Craftsman, maybe...
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
Well,son, that's just ignorant. I certainly wouldn't buy wrenches I counted on or tools for my professional use, but their Super Glue is fine, their air tool supplies are not too bad, their paint brushes are great for general work at a super price, the hot air guns I bought worked fine, the tape measures, usually free with a coupon, work just fine,too. The LED flashlights are a good bargain, nothing wrong with their magnetic parts trays, the floor jack I bought works as advertised,on and on.

If you accept the fact that these are tools made for occasional use and they are inexpensive, well you get what you pay for, but not everything they offer is useless. They're doing very well with the clientele they serve-but it's not Snap -On. Now Craftsman, maybe...
Well said, a diplomatic tongue lashing! I agree. Wayne
Old 05-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post

Their torque wrench have gotten good magazine reviews.

Car Craft Magazine
Old 05-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
Simonpie

The problem isn't Harbor Freight. The problem is Craftsman. The quality at Sears has gotten so bad it is worse than HF. They just keep living off a reputation made in the 50s (and before).

Sad.

HF is junk, but honest junk.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
The problem isn't Harbor Freight. The problem is Craftsman. The quality at Sears has gotten so bad it is worse than HF. They just keep living off a reputation made in the 50s (and before).

Sad.

HF is junk, but honest junk.
HF is not junk! It is just not the quality expected by professionals. It is fine for many Barners. Some Barners like to portray an elitist image that they are not! Wayne
Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpie View Post
the problem isn't harbor freight. The problem is craftsman. The quality at sears has gotten so bad it is worse than hf. they just keep living off a reputation made in the 50s (and before).

Sad.

Hf is junk, but honest junk.
you said it!!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
nq50

The best craftsmen I know,have the junkest tools thrown in a canvas bag. It's not the tools people, it's the person using it.
nq50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nq50 View Post
The best craftsmen I know,have the junkest tools thrown in a canvas bag. It's not the tools people, it's the person using it.
Try and remove that seized screw with a worn out flat head screwdriver tip or that old nut that has its edges rusted away with a crappy socket. Quality tools goes hand in hand with a quality craftsman. Using good tools makes a huge difference on the end result
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #20
Patrick L.

I've decided [ actually JoAnn decided] I need a horn for the golf cart. For that price [ I don't have one in my junk pile] I'll try and make it work.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote