Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
whb52ford

Default 6 cyl rear main oil leak

52 Ford car, 6 cyl. Took the car in and they removed the rock hard rope that was the rear main seal. It was replaced with modern rubber. Brought car home and its still leaking. Now he is telling me that the old rope seal wore on the crank, so the diameter of the crank is not at spec, and that is why the new seal is not working.

I suggested putting back a fresh rope seal. He told me as soon as the car heats up it will get hard and leak again.

This car is leaking on the pavers from the garage to the street and the wife is NOT HAPPY!

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? Something simple.

Thanks
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
JimG

Default Re: 6 cyl rear main oil leak

I put a diaper on my car from whizzernick. It's inexpensive and eliminates most of the mess. I change the pigmat in it once a year.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Well, If the old rope seal wore on the crankshaft what made him think a new neoprene seal was gonna fix it ? The crank probably has a spiral groove made on it , it works in conjunction with the rope to help keep oil pulled towards the inside of the engine.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Ggmac

Find an old mechanic . Soak the replacement rope seal in oil for a few hours before install .
Did he replace both halves or just one ?
The old seal he took out was probably original , yup took a good 30-50 yrs for it to get hard .
Don't buy it for a minute .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
whb52ford

He pulled out the top and bottom half of the rope seal. It was in for 50 years.
He did not use the rope seal as a replacement. They now make something from rubber. It is two pieces. He made the two rubber pieces join at the top and bottom, so there would be no space where the metal joins at the side.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
whb52ford

He has not looked at the leak. He is just telling me this over the phone. How does he know the crank is worn? If he knew it was worn, why did he install the new rubber and not mention it?

So you are thinking that if I get a new rope seal, soak it in oil for a couple days, that might fix my rear main leak?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whb52ford View Post
He has not looked at the leak. He is just telling me this over the phone. How does he know the crank is worn? If he knew it was worn, why did he install the new rubber and not mention it?

So you are thinking that if I get a new rope seal, soak it in oil for a couple days, that might fix my rear main leak?
Soaking rope oil seals are the way you prep before install . Always !
I've never heard of installing any seal on the vertical axis , meaning the ends are at 12:00 and 6:00 . If that's the way I read your post .
Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
whb52ford

You read it right. He told me he put the rubber seals in so the ends are at 12 and 6. His thinking was the cap ends at 3 and 9 would not be a place to leak.

Could that be the problem?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

You need a different mechanic. I think that he just does not want to do the job over again . Yes, in the new style neoprene type seals, some are recommended to be off set a little, but not so drastic as 6 & 12 o'clock. more like 1/4-3/8 of an inch. I worked as a professional mechanic for 40 years, and have installed the neoprene seals both off set and straight , and rarely had one leak. If a rope seal is used and it is the old style , it is recommended to soak them in oil first. There are some new rope seals that are impregnated with graphite, and they do not recommend soaking those in oil. If you are putting it in with the eng in the car, you will get a better seal if you loosen the main bearing caps a little and use a tool called a sneaky pete. ( not sure they sell them any more ), to pull the new upper half of the seal in place. then fit the bottom half in the main cap, or seal retainer which ever you have, and then use a piece of clean round pipe or something similar and kind of work the seal into the cap. then cut the ends of the top half flush with the block and leave the bottom seal about an 1/8-1/4 long on each side. then if you want you can put a small dab of silicone sealer on the ends of the lower seal, and bolt it up to the block, re-torque the mains and reinstall the pan. I hope this all makes sense and that I did not forget anything. this is how I have done them for years, and rarely had a leak. I always tried to do the best job possible to keep a good reputation, and besides, if it leaks, I would have to do it again for free. just my .02 I am sure there will be some that disagree with my method.-----JIm
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:35 AM   #10
whb52ford

Thanks for the reply. He said he had to loosen the crank so he could get the old rock hard rope out. He did mention using a sneaky Pete tool. He said the new rubber seals slid right in place. I’m wondering now if he cut the rubber gasket to short or maybe to long and it’s bunched up. I called him again and got his father who told me that maybe my crank bearings are worn and that is leaving a gap at the top of the seal. All this without looking at it. I’m in Ocala Fl and I can’t find a good mechanic. This guy was recommended to me by another car guy. Not sure what todo now.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
Ggmac

Crank bearings , gap ???? Good lord what a pile of crap . Sorry , find another REAL mechanic . I'm in west palm beach , Fl . Too bad I'm long retired and know of no one I'd recommend.
I crap my pants every time I need to take one of my new cars in for stuff I can't do . Just parts changers now . In my time diagnosis was a necessity all mechanics had to have . Or you just changed oil , tires and shocks . Gloves , come on , get man hands ! Still can't use them .
Old 05-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #12
38coop

Since your in Ocala , check with Don Garlits race shop and museum and see if they can reccomend someone in your area that works on the older cars.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
whb52ford

Been to Gartlets. He could not give me the name of anyone. He has a mechanic but busy doing Don's restorations.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
5851a

Would seem to me if he had installed a rope type properly it would have taken up any wear on the crank. I too have been at the mercy of a repair shop. The 6 / 12 install does seem very odd though.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
whb52ford

I'm wondering if I should get some rope and tell him I want that installed. I don't know how he knew where to cut the rubber gasket putting the ends in at 6 and 12.

Do you know if the rope will shrink once it gets hot? How does it wear?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
whb52ford

I said that wrong. should b 6 and 12
Old 05-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
George/Maine

My 54 6cylinder was leaking and I was putting to much oil and run little less. When parked should NOT leak.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #18
Ggmac

I would NOT go back to him under any circumstance. He is lying to you and his not worth his salt . Even if you have to have the car sit till you find someone , you will , just not at your everyday repair shop . Look at car shows for rat rods or original. A lot of rat rod flathead guys are pretty good and may help you out .
If I were the mechanic and told you this and you insisted on that , a good chance that it would just sit till you got pissed or smart enough to get it out of the shop . He'd probably charge storage for the 3 months it sat .
Rope seals have been used for decades and continue to be used successfully.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
whb52ford

Thanks for the post. I’m thinking now I think I want the rope seal bAck in