Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Curtis in MA

Default '30 Brake Cross Shaft

My brake pedal does not return all the way when stopped so I first disconnected all the rods from the cross shaft and removed the brackets to see if the bushings were worn. They looked fine so I reinstalled the brackets.
When I rotate the cross shaft forward by hand, as if the brakes are on, the cross shaft hits the radius rods.
How much clearance should there be from the CS to the radius rods?
How much travel should there be in the clevises?
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
glenn in camino

Default Re: '30 Brake Cross Shaft

First, try oiling the bushing on the peddle shaft. Or,You need an after market coil return spring hooked from your brake peddle to somewhere on your chassis to pull the break peddle back. Sound's mickey mouse, but it works.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
First, try oiling the bushing on the peddle shaft. Or,You need an after market coil return spring hooked from your brake peddle to somewhere on your chassis to pull the break peddle back. Sound's mickey mouse, but it works.
Works for me. I have one on each of my pedals clutch and brake. I made a tab that uses one of the clutch bell housing screws, both springs hook to it. Keeps the slack out and pedals back instead of bouncing around.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
100IH

If things are correct in all respects, no springs are required. The brake springs at the shoes and on the brake pull rods get the job done nicely. Curtis, most likely the front spring is weak which lowers the frame and transmission. Rear spring can do the same. Know that the radial movement of the cross shaft is slight. If the front mount is holding the nose of the engine up too far, the rear of the trans.tips down. Do a search for setting up brakes, everything has been covered in depth.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Curtis in MA

Thanks. I will check the engine tonight.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
If things are correct in all respects, no springs are required. The brake springs at the shoes and on the brake pull rods get the job done nicely. Curtis, most likely the front spring is weak which lowers the frame and transmission. Rear spring can do the same. Know that the radial movement of the cross shaft is slight. If the front mount is holding the nose of the engine up too far, the rear of the trans.tips down. Do a search for setting up brakes, everything has been covered in depth.
agreed 100% - fix the brakes correctly and find out why they dont pull the pedal back hard.

frame sag can also bind up the shaft as well.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
M
When I rotate the cross shaft forward by hand, as if the brakes are on, the cross shaft hits the radius rods.
If the lower part of the cross shaft "dip or bulge" is hitting the radius rods, perhaps it is traveling too far in that direction. If that is the case, I would also check to make sure the cross shaft is starting out in the correct at=-rest position, which is the starting point to adjusting brakes any way.

With the pedal fully retracted as if no pressure is applied and with it up against its stop, the cross shaft arms on each side that connect to the brake rods should be pointing straight up and down. Not at an angle.

Just something to check.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Curtis in MA

Right now all rods are disconnected. I will connect the brake pedal to the cross shaft and see if it is vertical.