Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
mikenorris

Default aluminum windshield frames on a 68B cabriolet

will a frame from a coupe/tudor work on a 68B cabriolet and has any one tried to polish the aluminum? mike norris 828 926 5212 maggie valley n c
mikenorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Roger V

Default Re: aluminum windshield frames on a 68B cabriolet

Yes, and this has been done before. Since aluminum will dull or tarnish most have clear coated to preserve the polishing. Seems like most clear coating, while over paint looks great, may give a yellow cast over polished aluminum. There was something that stayed clear but I don't recall what it is. Someone out there can chime-in on what it is.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Clem Clement

I use a common metal polish before every show. It brightens nicely but still looks like alum to the trained eye. I understand if I machine polished it and sprayed it with clear poly, that it would look more like chrome. Myu original was rechromed without full rincing so canser ate it. At Hershey I found a used complete window for $100 and that works fine for my runner.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

Having a cabriolet, some people confided in me that more than one high point A400/ 68C has an aluminum windshield frame.

They do not look right if the window is open, but for judging you keep the window closed. I think they were polished and clear coated, but I do not remember.

While they are pricey, the Bunce steel frames are very good quality.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
TedG

After polishing your aluminum w/s frame try this stuff:

http://www.nyalic.com/
Old 05-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
bobpo

Talking Re: aluminum windshield frames on a 68B cabriolet

Mike,

When I bought my '30 coupe, it came with an aluminum WS frame. No Glass with the car at all. So it presented a problem. I found a good Glass Man who was very reasonable so I went to work on the WS frame after the glass was installed. I polished mine about 2 months ago.

1. The first thing I did was to COVER THE ENTIRE GLASS WITH DUCT TAPE.

2 Once that was done I carefully ground off the corner welds (still in the rough in the two bottom corners). You gotta be careful doing this. Just take your time.

3. Once this was accomplished, I started with some medium wet-sand paper to get any knicks that came out of it. I did this by hand in a straight direction with the frame.

4. Then I went to to a finer wet-sand paper (800 - 1000 grit asI recall) and really smoothened the finish. BY THIS TIME, THE FINISH WAS ALREADY LOOKING GOOD, BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

5. Then I proceeded with an ALUMINUM POLISHING KIT. It came with polishing wheels and 3 grades of compound. When I finished with the last grade, I cleaned the whole thing off and it looks like CHROME.

6. Last but not least, I removed the tape.

I have not clear-coated mine yet but probably will. I couldn't wait to get it on the car and go for a drive. I'm sure my windshield blinded all on-coming drivers. LOL

Good Luck
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote