Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM   #381
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1955 Ford Club Sedan Refresh Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
As far as the rubber seal is concerned it already had holes punched and they did line up perfectly for me - that was a help for sure. I will have to look to see who made it.
I've had to buy two of them, one for the car (about 30 yrs ago) and one for the Courier in 1996. Neither of them had the mounting holes punched. It was a lotta work. I especially dreaded doing it again on the Courier (remembering all that was involved the first time I did it). You lucked out.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #382
Kahuna

Hi Rev
Sorry to see all those great pictures now gone
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #383
Hot Rod Reverend

if anyone is a member on the HAMB and is a part of the 52-59 social group all photos and videos have been restored/placed in the thread. It took quite a while. I am now going to see what I can do here since this thread has the most views by far.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #384
Daves55Sedan

My guess is...that the post got too big and could not hold all that data anymore. To be on the safe side, If I ever submit a post that might get real lengthy like this, I will try to break it up in sections in advance, so there will be several smaller posts.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #385
55KustomMainline

Found it!

I thought I was a member of the 52-59 Ford social group but I cannot find it again. Can you post a link or PM me?

Thanks

Quote:
if anyone is a member on the HAMB and is a part of the 52-59 social group all photos and videos have been restored/placed in the thread. It took quite a while. I am now going to see what I can do here since this thread has the most views by far.

Last edited by 55KustomMainline; 09-05-2017 at 08:07 AM.
55KustomMainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #386
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55KustomMainline View Post
Found it!

I thought I was a member of the 52-59 Ford social group but I cannot find it again. Can you post a link or PM me?

Thanks
I founded the site and moderate it so here it is: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ial-group.282/ Welcoming you back. In regards to the pictures,Photobucket has blanked all of them out and holding them hostage to reinstate them is $300+
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #387
Hot Rod Reverend

For those of you that cannot view these photos in your browser, I did find a fix for Mozilla and Google Chrome browsers. Please read this post from the HAMB...

"I found these links posted over at T.R.A.K last week by Bernard Kron. The Mozilla link worked for me.
Post by Bernard Kron on Aug 27, 2017 at 4:41pm An add-on (plug-in) has been developed, originally for Chrome and now ported over to Mozilla Firefox, that re-establishes the links to all Photobucket images that have been blocked with the Photobucket "Logo of Death" (see below. So far it's available only for Firefox & Google Chrome browsers. I will update this post if it emerges for Microsoft Internet Explorer, Edge or other popular browsers.
For Google Chrome users open Chrome and navigate here: github.com/kzahel/photobucket-embed-fix ; or here: chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en
For Mozilla Firefox users open Firefox (v. 48 and above) and go here: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=ss
end quote"

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 09-08-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Hot Rod Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #388
55KustomMainline

It's working - pretty cool! Good to see all the pics aren't gone!

Quote:
For those of you that cannot view these photos in your browse, I did find a fix for Mozilla and Google Chrome browsers. Please read this post from the HAMB...

"I found these links posted over at T.R.A.K last week by Bernard Kron. The Mozilla link worked for me.
Post by Bernard Kron on Aug 27, 2017 at 4:41pm An add-on (plug-in) has been developed, originally for Chrome and now ported over to Mozilla Firefox, that re-establishes the links to all Photobucket images that have been blocked with the Photobucket "Logo of Death" (see below. So far it's available only for Firefox & Google Chrome browsers. I will update this post if it emerges for Microsoft Internet Explorer, Edge or other popular browsers.
For Google Chrome users open Chrome and navigate here: github.com/kzahel/photobucket-embed-fix ; or here: chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en
For Mozilla Firefox users open Firefox (v. 48 and above) and go here: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=ss
end quote"
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #389
Hot Rod Reverend

Since I have had much difficulty in posting, hosting, and what have you, I have decided to move the 55 Ford Fairlane Restoration Blog to a stand alone site. I was trying to maintain three different third party sites and the work was overwhelming. This site alone has over 85,000 views.

The domain name "hotrodreverend" was purchased and the new site is set up. There is much more in the way of photos and videos on that blog. There is also a place to subscribe if you would like too. The link below takes you right to the blog - over 25 posts have already been made as of November 15, 2017.

https://www.hotrodreverend.com/in-progress

thanks fellas and thanks to the FordBarn
Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #390
55KustomMainline

Bookmarked! I'll read it all when I have a chance!

Quote:
Since I have had much difficulty in posting, hosting, and what have you, I have decided to move the 55 Ford Fairlane Restoration Blog to a stand alone site. I was trying to maintain three different third party sites and the work was overwhelming. This site alone has over 85,000 views.

The domain name "hotrodreverend" was purchased and the new site is set up. There is much more in the way of photos and videos on that blog. There is also a place to subscribe if you would like too. The link below takes you right to the blog - over 25 posts have already been made as of November 15, 2017.

thanks fellas and thanks to the FordBarn
Old 12-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #391
Hot Rod Reverend

Fellas (and any ladies who read this thread on occasion) I have now started uploading some photos to my personal page so that I can draw from those to give updates on the work. Remember that www.hotrodreverend.com will have much more in the way of photos, verbiage, and videos as well. I also have the 1949-59 Ford parts manuals on CD for sale on that site. I encourage you to subscribe when you can - if you do so, any time that a post is made to the restoration blog you will receive an automatic update in your e-mail inbox. thanks!

This first update is just to discover if I saved the photos to the Ford Barn album correctly. Thanks to Ryan and his team for their efforts to offer such a great site as the Ford Barn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.jpg (47.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #392
Hot Rod Reverend

Looks like I need to attach images - I do not believe there is a way to retrieve album photos and place them within the body of the post unless using some type of html internet speak. No problem, we will do what we can.

I installed an updated, PMGR, hi-torque starter last night and what a difference! You can see in the photos the physical differences between the two, but the best of which is the fact that there is no Bendix to get stuck up in the flywheel. Clearance is now not an issue.

The casing had to be reclocked to the flange because I did not have enough cable to reach the stud mounted on the starter's solenoid, but this was a pretty easy process. After removing three Allen head screws, the reclocking took the solenoid from the 6 o'clock to the 8 o'clock position and the cable just slid right on. I was pretty happy with that.

We also have video of the startup:
https://vimeo.com/247341025

Later on the same evening I wetsanded both fenders in preparation for buffing. They both needed some nibs worked out of them and there was some orange peel here or there. The hood was finished earlier in the week. Hopefully I can remount the hood and the fenders by the end of the week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7708.jpg (49.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7710.jpg (57.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7707.jpg (47.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7711.jpg (83.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7724.jpg (41.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7728.jpg (68.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7744.jpg (52.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 12-14-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #393
Hot Rod Reverend

I will post some photos and videos to the 1955 Ford Blog over on www.hotrodreverend.com tomorrow as well, but I thought I would put this question in a separate thread. How can I get the dowel pin on the hood latch panel any lower? It has already bottomed out and is at it's lowest point. It seems like I need 1/4" more to get the front of the hood to rest correctly on the latch panel. There are some photos attached that show the progress today.

Things went well today, but I did go pretty slowly and tried to line up everything the best that I could. The gaps look pretty good although not perfect.

I re-installed the latch panel and had some issues with getting the driver's side front of the hood to rest even with the fender (if that makes sense). I did install all of the correct bumpers on both fenders, and I also put in the "feet" that go into the threaded inserts up front - they are also shown below.

Here is some video footage as well if you are interested:
https://vimeo.com/249963416

and
https://vimeo.com/249963452

The hood does look as if it needs to be slid to the passenger side about 1/8" to be settled in perfectly between both fenders. The rear gap is just right, and the hood does close nicely on the latch/pin. However, I can easily pull the hood "up" at the front lip about 1/2" or so when it is latched - the safety catches so it's not a problem but I am pretty sure there is not supposed to be anything loose up front or the front of hood will wobble at speed going down the road.

I did check the tension adjustment for the radiator support where it bolts to the cross member. They were pretty tight and I had about 3/8" thread showing past the nut without too much room left between the coils of the spring. However, I am not so sure this makes such a dramatic difference for the hood latch panel.

I did read some things about the hood latch adjustment in the shop manual this evening but I am not so sure this is going to make a difference either.

Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7947.jpg (57.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7959.jpg (60.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7961.jpg (36.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7966.jpg (28.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7967.jpg (39.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7970.jpg (80.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Hot Rod Reverend; 01-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #394
Hot Rod Reverend

Dufus me, I think I installed the dowel plate upside down! That puts that large weld nut on the top and gets in the way of the room the dowel needs...I think. Will let you know tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #395
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Dufus me, I think I installed the dowel plate upside down! That puts that large weld nut on the top and gets in the way of the room the dowel needs...I think. Will let you know tomorrow.
Not sure what you mean by dowel plate. I think you are talking about the latch plate that bolts down on top of the front air deflector. Yes, the rectangular plate sits down on the recess in the air deflector with the square nut on top. The threaded pin that holds the hood down goes into that square nut in the latch plate. When you get the top of the latch pin adjusted where you want it, then put the big lock-washer and nut under the air deflector and screw into that threaded pin underneath.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #396
Hot Rod Reverend

Welp, it wasn't what I thought (the trouble with the hood). I got in the garage on Monday night and analyzed everything. Took the dowel plate off and shut the hood - the hood closed well and even, but both feet had to be "bottomed out" in the bosses for the hood to sit like it should. Then, for some reason, it dawned on me.

I HAD FORGOTTEN A CRITICAL PART!

I have it pictured below. The third picture shows how much room there was between the bottom side of the gravel pan and the bracket - almost 3/4 of an inch! Once this was installed correctly, the middle bracket was bolted down and of course that brought the whole works into position. It didn't take much time to adjust the feet where they needed be and for the hood to not only be centered, level, and at the right height up front, but the latch was also now tight.

https://vimeo.com/250217064

boy, do I feel dumb...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7985.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7986.jpg (41.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7991.jpg (39.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7993.jpg (70.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #397
Hot Rod Reverend

Fellas,

New posts have been made to the www.hotrodreverend.com website blog. You can follow them by clicking here:

I am now posting so many pictures and videos of the work that I really had to go this route. Plus, everything is organized so that you click on a word such as "headliner" or "door" or "brakes" so that you can see all of the posts that include such work on the car.

I will give you a few photos of what has happened since my last post here to this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8107.jpg (51.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8127.jpg (41.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8136.jpg (61.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8147.jpg (61.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8157.jpg (38.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8168.jpg (82.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8101.jpg (45.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8084.jpg (52.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #398
Daves55Sedan

I've never seen clamps like those you used to temporarily hold your headliner to the window flange while the glue sets. Back some 30 years ago when I replaced my headliner, I used office stationery binder clips (two sizes), big ones across the top and small ones around the curves. But the new binder clips available today from department stores are not as strong as the old ones I have. Anyway, my binder clips worked very well for this application.
Also, I noticed on the installation of your bottom center support bracket under the splash pan, you have all the bolts turned with the threads upward. This is not a good practice since the bolt threads will collect water, eventually causing the threads and nut to rust together prematurely. I suggest getting a glob of "duxseal" and molding it around the threads down around the nut to help keep water out. The duxseal (under extreme conditions) will harden and allow water to leak in in a few years, but if you don't intend to drive in rain, snow, ice, road salt very much, the duxseal will last much longer. Incidentally, the factory installation utilized "speed-nuts" on the top two holes of the bracket and with the top of the bolt pushed thru the holes from above the splash pan. However, since you are making many modifications, I'm sure having the bracket installed this way isn't going to bother you. Just letting you know how it was original done for your info. Everything looks great BTW.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 02-21-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling again!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #399
Hot Rod Reverend

Maybe I should change that orientation, that is how it was removed when I took everything apart, but that doesn't mean it should go back that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I've never seen clamps like those you used to temporarily hold your headliner to the window flange while the glue sets. Bake some 30 years ago when I replaced my headliner, I used office stationery binder clips (two sizes), big ones across the top and small ones around the curves. But the new binder clips available today from department stores are not as strong as the old ones I have. Anyway, my binder clips worked very well for this application.
Also, I noticed on the installation of your bottom center support bracket under the splash pan, you have all the bolts turned with the threads upward. This is not a good practice since the bolt threads will collect water, eventually causing the threads and nut to rust together prematurely. I suggest getting a glob of "duxseal" and molding it around the threads down around the nut to help keep water out. The duxseal (under extreme conditions) will harden and allow water to leak in in a few years, but if you don't intend to drive in rain, snow, ice, road salt very much, the duxseal will last much longer. Incidentally, the factory installation utilized "speed-nuts" on the top two holes of the bracket and with the top of the bolt pushed thru the holes from above the splash pan. However, since you are making many modifications, I'm sure having the bracket installed this way isn't going to bother you. Just letting you know how it was original done for your info. Everything looks great BTW.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #400
Hot Rod Reverend

The windshield, stainless steel, and an electric wiper motor and new wiper parts have all been installed. You can check out a rather lengthy post with more videos and photos at this address:

Here is a video of the bench test of the Newport Engineering Wiper Motor
https://vimeo.com/256667919

And a few photos of the work we accomplished this past week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8260.jpg (57.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8261.jpg (62.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8270.jpg (61.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8287.jpg (33.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8293.jpg (51.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8304.jpg (44.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_8333.jpg (81.3 KB, 12 views)