Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
josh1331

Default Full flow oil filter and maybe problems

I installed a full flow oil filter recently, would a knock at start up only be caused byl that installation? I donlt remember the knock so loud before install. Does the oil get to engine just as fast to start lube process? /John
josh1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Full flow oil filter and maybe problems

Need more input. You need to describe who's full flow system and how it's routed. Also do you have the oil filter mounted sideways, or is it mounted with the threaded end up? Need to make sure a sideways filter has an anitflowback valve to hold the oil, so it doesn't need to refill each time the engine is started.

One more thing........are you just more aware of engine noises now that you have a filter installed, or is the noise truely something new?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
josh1331

Filter is mounted on the side of engine...new plate gasket and tube to fit in oil exit tube within chamber was provided along with a oil filter.

I didn/t really notice the noise being loud as it is now but I can't say for sure . I was careful to assemble and make sure tube was fitted properly and the adaptor was assembled without burrs of any kind. I did have one on a 1931 years ago right after the motor was rebuilt and it worked fine.
Perhaps I should take it off and see if it goes away?
As to the filter , what stock filter should It have , perhaps one supplied is incorrect and I should maybe replace that to see if it works instead of taking it off right away Any assistance would be appreciated .thanks very much for reply/ John
Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
PC/SR

RE filters, somewhere on the Web, I cant find it now, a guy took filters apart and listed the specs for square inches of filter material, construction, etc. From what I recall, Fram was bad, Napa which is made by someone else is near the top. I use Napa. I have the A aford able horizontal type and added the 90 degree adapter available from Ford MOtorsports and some of the suppliers. Keeps the oil in and looks better too. You can test the oil flow by removing the filter,shorting the distributor secondary wire to ground, and cranking the engine. After 5-10 secs of cranking, maybe a little more if it has been sitting for awhile, oil should come out the feed to the filter.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
josh1331

PC/SENIOR 1.. WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF FILTER AT NAPA PLEASE?
2. FORD MOTorsports.. have a web address , i went on and tried to reach and there are a number of motorsports? thanks / appreciate. How much are the adaptors if you can not provide it is ok ./John THANKS FOR ALL INFOR.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Hank

Ford Motorsports Web Site www.fordracingparts.com I believe the part number for the adaptor is M-6880-A50 on page 127 of the catalog.

Hank
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
johnsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1331 View Post
PC/SENIOR 1.. WHAT IS THE NUMBER OF FILTER AT NAPA PLEASE?
2. FORD MOTorsports.. have a web address , i went on and tried to reach and there are a number of motorsports? thanks / appreciate. How much are the adaptors if you can not provide it is ok ./John THANKS FOR ALL INFOR.
NAPA Gold #1515
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Dave in MN

Default Knocks and oil filters...well maybe!

"Filter is mounted on the side of engine...new plate gasket and tube to fit in oil exit tube within chamber was provided along with a oil filter."

Your description is of a product called an "A-ford-able" oil filter kit. I have used a number of these kits and have not had any problems. The filtered oil is delivered to the front chamber just over the location where an un-filtered engine receives its oil from the pump. This filter probably filters close to 95% of the oil flow as some oil is pushed out the oil pump drive gear sleeve and around the intersecting gears of the camshaft and oil pump drive gear and the center bearing of the cam. The filter will not create a lot of restriction. You can expect 10-20# to show on a gauge when the engine is cold and it is at a high idle. (Yes they can vary that much from engine to engine.) Expect 3-10 psi when warm within the idle to 2200 rpm range. The amount of delay of the oil getting to the valve chamber due to this type of filter is only seconds. I was just reading an issue of Secrets of Speed this past Monday evening and read the oil pump puts out over a gallon of oil every minute ... so we are not even talking about a 5-10 second delay at start up? (I may not be exact on this so don't hold or quote me on this oil flow amount. I know it was well over a gallon but I don't remember the stated rpm.) 5-10 seconds of delay would be my guess if the oil filter drained after shut down. I don't think the oil filter caused anything. Unless....
There is the possibility that the increased oil pressure within the system due to the filter is causing the oil pump drive gear to lift from its seat in the valve chamber. If the spring holding the oil pump drive gear assembly is weak, this could happen, especially when the engine is cold. This tapping could be the oil pump drive gear and intermediate distributor shaft assembly raising up against the dizzy and bottoming out or when the assembly drops back down it would hit the block at its seat.
SIDE NOTE: When a Model A block is modified for oil pressure to the mains and rods, it is suggested to make sure there is no vertical slop between the oil pump drive gear assembly, intermediate distributor drive shaft and the dizzy. In a pressurized "A" engine a snug dizzy and intermediate shaft fit could actually limit the vertical travel of the oil pump drive gear when the pressure builds up under it. I have seen a lot of oil pump drive gear springs that are rusted and weak. You can feel the difference between a new spring and a rusted weak one when it is installed. I know...it's a remote possibility....Just some thoughts and possibilities to check out. Hope you are quickly successful in your search for the cause. Let us know what you discover.
Good Day!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/SR View Post
RE filters, somewhere on the Web, I cant find it now, a guy took filters apart and listed the specs for square inches of filter material, construction, etc. From what I recall, Fram was bad, Napa which is made by someone else is near the top. I use Napa. I have the A aford able horizontal type and added the 90 degree adapter available from Ford MOtorsports and some of the suppliers. Keeps the oil in and looks better too. You can test the oil flow by removing the filter,shorting the distributor secondary wire to ground, and cranking the engine. After 5-10 secs of cranking, maybe a little more if it has been sitting for awhile, oil should come out the feed to the filter.

I believe NAPA filters are manufactured by WIX. They are second only to the aircraft filters. Better filter paper by far than any other auto filter manufacturer in the USA. That is if any filters are still made in the USA.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote