Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
rfitzpatrick

Default Expensive

This hobby is getting expensive. $260.00 for BlackWalls? Then you got to get them here, that's another few bucks.
The F-100 Steering Box is better than $800. Guess can't find any cores.
"Adjusted For Inflation"
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
updraught

Default Re: Expensive

Restoring cars is not a thing for the working class. So said a story I read in the newspaper when was a kid.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:13 PM   #3
brito36

The Model A was once a poor man's antique car, and almost anyone could afford one even on a modest family income. Those days are now gone. I think that the greed of some people along with the COVID thing ruined the hobby. Young people will not be able to afford even a Model A. I remember when people sold parts just to cover their restoration or upgrade. Now people want to make a living off the parts they sell. It's really a shame it has come to this!!!!
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:51 PM   #4
J Franklin

It is still doable for many. $106.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/475-...wall-tire.html

Last edited by J Franklin; 04-08-2023 at 10:14 AM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:42 PM   #5
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Those tyres in 21 inch cost $395 here. What are you complaining about?
Old 04-07-2023, 11:50 PM   #6
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
This hobby is getting expensive. $260.00 for BlackWalls? Then you got to get them here, that's another few bucks.
"Adjusted For Inflation"
So maybe these guys manufacturing 19” tires sell 10,000 annually, enough for 2500 Model A’s every year. You could even double that to 20,000 and 5000 cars. That’s world wide.

How many 205-55R16 tires are sold worldwide each year? Millions, probably tens of millions. These probably cost $100 to $200 per tire depending on the manufacturer. That’s what you’re comparing your tires against.

We should be lucky anyone makes our tires at all.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:06 AM   #7
J Franklin

[QUOTE=Hitman;2217098

We should be lucky anyone makes our tires at all.[/QUOTE]

AMEN! Every time I hear a complaint that may or may not be valid, I cringe.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:14 AM   #8
ronn

LOL

do you really need that steering box? no
tires can be bought for 100. as discussed on another thread.

Yes I once wtd to marry Christie Brinkley- but alas, I realized I couldnt afford her and she sure as heck, couldnt afford me!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:20 AM   #9
ndnchf

We are indeed very fortunate to have such great supply of parts. Granted, some may not be to Henry's standard. But by and large the premium vendors do a great job of supporting our hobby. I can usually get model A parts faster and far more affordably than F250 parts from my local Ford dealer or FLAPS. BTW, a new F250 runs $60K to over $100K - 3 to 5 times the price of a nicely restored model A pickup. In the big scheme, it is still an affordable hobby for most people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230326_133536_copy_715x496.jpg (192.6 KB, 31 views)
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

For those of us who have been in the Model-A hobby for over 50 years will likely tell you the difference between now and then is not that parts are more expensive now (in comparison to the median family income then vs. now) ...but more about lack of efforts put forth by the typical Model-A Hobbyists now.

In the late 1960s thru the 1970s, as I think back amongst the Houston TX Model-A club, I would venture a guess that around 90% of the club's members actually were restoring their own Model-A(s) back then. I'd guess the same thing was true for most Model-A clubs across the States of this country. These members utilized the local Model-A club to network to find other hobbyists who owned extra parts, or maybe had machining capabilities, -or painting capabilities, etc. who could help them restore their Model-A themselves, ....not do it for them.

Likely today, there are less than 10% of the members in each local club who are restoring Model-As themselves. Everyone foolishly seems to give the advice that it is cheaper to buy one than it is to restore it so they should just buy one already restored, ...and because of that mindset we now find the better quality Model-As that were restored in that era have been 'used up'. This IMHO has brought the entire hobby down as a whole.

Think about this for a moment, ...many hobbyists like to complain that they will have more money in their Model-A than they will get out of it if they do anything restoration-related to it. The irony is when you compare our hobby to other hobbies such as Golf, or Fishing, Woodworking, Camping, Bowling, etc. I believe you will find the ROI is not there on those hobbies either -yet most of those people ever complain. You can easily buy fish cheaper than you can buy a nice fishing boat and all of the tackle to go fishing. How about buying a golf cart, a trailer, and the gear just to go play golf for exercise? Maybe buying a used $50k RV and then paying to park it on a scenic weekend spot is not expensive? I do not recall ever hearing this type of nonsense 30-50 years ago from Model-A hobbyists about this hobby being too expensive. My opinion on this mindset now is this hobby apparently has too many hobbyists who likely need to be in some other 'more affordable hobby!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:43 PM   #11
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

In the late 1960s thru the 1970s, as I think back amongst the Houston TX Model-A club, I would venture a guess that around 90% of the club's members actually were restoring their own Model-A(s) back then. I'd guess the same thing was true for most Model-A clubs across the States of this country. These members utilized the local Model-A club to network to find other hobbyists who owned extra parts, or maybe had machining capabilities, -or painting capabilities, etc. who could help them restore their Model-A themselves, ....not do it for them.

Likely today, there are less than 10% of the members in each local club who are restoring Model-As themselves.
Spot on, Brent. In my local MAFCA chapter, which is 60+ years old, we have on the order of 100 families with each family owning at least one Model A. I would doubt that there are a half dozen (me being one) with cars under active restoration. Either the cars have been previously restored (to be fair, many of those were restored by their current owners, who are now enjoying driving the fruits of their efforts) or they are survivors that won't be restored.

When I first got into the hobby in the late 60's it was as you recall - most folks were restoring cars, and there was a lot of parts trading or simply scavenging going on. I remember getting phone calls from folks who begged to have cars dragged off their lots or from shops/garages. Lots more swap meets then, too. Nowadays there are very few "barn finds" left, and a lot of the parts needs must be met by purchasing either new from the vendors or used from those who have stashes of parts - little swapping because those same individuals are not currently restoring. Not to mention that this hobby, like many, is populated by an aging demographic, many of whom are now interested in getting rid of their hoards of parts.

Regarding the timeless question of buy vs. make - you have to ask yourself how much pleasure would you derive from taking a 90-year old relic and with your own hands transforming it into a reliable, workable vehicle. In an age where current vehicles almost require a degree in Information Technology to work on, a Model A provides the opportunity to exercise good old fashioned shade-tree mechanical ability. If you can't derive pleasure from that, then by all means buy a car that's been previously restored (but be aware - anyone can call themselves a "restorer", not everyone works to your (Brent's) standards. My '31 Town Sedan that was "restored" in the mid-1980's is testament to that.) And hire out the work that it will inevitably require.

But if you do relish the challenge of a restoration with your own hands, the Model A is a great vehicle. And your local club is the venue to meet with like-minded individuals.

My $0.02 worth.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

The thing with 'affordable hobby's' seems to be in the timing. You could buy pretty nice Model A Fords even into the late 60's-early 70's for not a ton of money.

As a teenager even back then, there were really only three of us in the whole high school who liked Model A's. Everybody else was into 60's Mustangs-Camaros-Fairlanes- Cudas you get the idea. We were the oddballs.

Every hobby gets real expensive real fast, the deeper you get into it. Like has been mentioned, golf, guns, coin collecting, stamp collecting, petroliana, horses, antique glassware, drinking, smoking, gambling, and on and on.

The only thing 'cheap' is maybe sitting on the corner uptown watching traffic, or getting a book at the library. But then you risk dying early from boredom.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:52 PM   #13
whirnot

It depends on how you categorize the hobby. Many consider owning and driving all there is to the hobby. Our club has about 65 model As. I believe there are only three owners that are actively working on their cars.

But regardless, unfortunately I feel the club portion of the hobby is dying. Most cars aren't even driven more than a couple times per year here.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #14
cas3

I remember tires at about 20 bucks from the sears catalog. Like everything else, its going up...and it aint done yet. If they don't want you to have a gas stove, how much longer do you think they want you driving around in old cars? Not trying to make a political statement, just, thats the world we live in
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:52 AM   #15
updraught

Tyres made from Russian oil would be cheaper I guess.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:45 AM   #16
Oldbluoval

“My opinion on this mindset now is this hobby apparently has too many hobbyists who likely need to be in some other 'more affordable hobby!! “… by Brent

That’s exactly what I tell folks who want to “negotiate” on parts I make. I hear ….on a fixed income, getting too much in the project, car won’t be worth what I have in it….on and on.
Maybe bird watching …binoculars are reasonably cheap!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #17
walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
"Adjusted For Inflation"
I think at 260 even for whitewalls is a bit expensive. But that’s what I just spent on a set of BFGoodrich bias ply WWWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Remember to buy from Summit to get free shipping.
It seems like summit drop ships them from Coker because a large portion of their inventory isn’t in stock.
Who cares is it saves you the dollars.
walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #18
Joe K

Quote:
Tyres made from Russian oil would be cheaper I guess.
Tires made in China would be cheaper, and Joe would let you have PLENTY of those. Of course they would be the same level of quality that Harbor Freight barrel truck tires have, and Harbor Freight rubber air hoses.

All of these come with a distinct "uncured" rubber smell, are plenty flexible, but harden and crack within the first year.

I bought 12 "swivel caster wheels" with rubber tires from Harbor Freight. Opening the box I was afraid to light a match lest there be an explosion from the gas.

Of those twelve, seven have now shed their tires.

Joe K
Old 04-09-2023, 07:38 AM   #19
Ed in Maine

A lot of good comments here but the expense of restoration and maintenance of the Model A will be the least of your worries. I worry more about the longevity of the car and the hobby. This push towards electric cars can only have a negative impact on all gasoline cars. In an effort to get everyone into an electric car, there will be a drastic cut back in the supply of gasoline and gasoline car parts. There may even be incentives to junk gasoline cars to get them off the road. Who will want to be driving their Model A's when gas prices are through the roof and you are using gas at the rate of 12 mpg? You will not be able to sell your Model A's. It will be the end of the hobby. A few antique cars will end up in museums and the rest will be collecting dust in our garages because after all our work we won't part with them. When will all this happen? Listening to the current administration, this will be 2030!! The 100th anniversary of the Model A era. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:02 AM   #20
Big hammer

Time to start making your own fuel for your model A, the sky is falling will we even make it to 2030 with what is happening in the world today. Enjoy your Easter Sunday! Enjoy your day today! Give your loved ones a hug !
Old 04-09-2023, 08:03 AM   #21
Oldbluoval

Ed…that’s quite a doomsday epistle you’ve penned…
But you may be correct!!
Old 04-09-2023, 08:18 AM   #22
alexiskai

I’ll happily take the other side of a bet with anyone who thinks gasoline will be hard to come by in 7 years, or 17. You think they’re going to turn off the pipelines and refineries, force millions of trucks off the road, cripple entire industries, send the economy into a depression, just to meet EPA standards?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:48 AM   #23
Oldbluoval

Honestly, I don’t think most bureaucrats have a clue as to boots on the ground.
No concept of how their nonsense affects the regular people trying to get by.
One of the biggest problems of those trying to get by is mobility. Unable to get to jobs, get food, get anywhere. And the government is raising that cost which exacerbates the problems!
Idiots abound

PS! EPA is responsible for increase in restoration costs. Example paint!
The rest of the world just used whatever they want without regulation.
I do have a heart for trying to be energy dependent of foreign oil. however we have our own access

Heck this may get zapped as political but all parties are guilty!!! Going on thru all administrations

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 04-09-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:42 AM   #24
Brokenvette

X's 2 Oldblu. All will be fine. I am 77 and doing a body off restoration right now. Love every minute of it. Keeps the shade tree mind thinking.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #25
ronn

Jegs too- I avged 104. a tire with shipping and tax.

of course you can always take your chances with used tires, from CL as well at around 20. each..........

where theres a will, there's a way.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:10 AM   #26
Jim M

AMEN!!! Happy Easter and be happy we are here to enjoy it. Every day is a blessing!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:06 AM   #27
johnneilson

At the rate Cali is going to EV's, we will not have roads to drive on.
Until someone comes to grips with taxing the EV's, the roads will continue deteriorate as ICE vehicles decline.
We have had a couple months of rain, abnormal and some roads have been closed due to potholes developing and causing damage to vehicles. I wonder the ratio of EV vs ICE vehicular damage from these as the EV's are quite a bit heavier.
Not trying to get political, just observing.

Happy Easter, John
Old 04-09-2023, 11:36 AM   #28
ronn

I wonder the ratio of EV vs ICE vehicular damage....

funny Im always wondering the ratio of those leaving Cali to those staying.

who's paying the taxes? lol

same here in good ole NJ. Leaving in droves. The roads are the least of our concern.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:20 PM   #29
oldspert

Just got back into the hobby and found it is cheaper to find a restored car with some minor flaws than restoring from the ground up. I purchased a 29 Special Coupe for $15000, all wood in great shape, just needing some minor things. Try restoring one for that money.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:32 AM   #30
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspert View Post
Just got back into the hobby and found it is cheaper to find a restored car with some minor flaws than restoring from the ground up.
From my reading of back issues of The Restorer, I think that's always been true. Brent's point was that, in his experience, participation in the hobby used to be much less about owning a working car and much more about working on the car.

A car that genuinely needs restoration is unlikely to be in fully-functional, running, driving condition. When you're not working on it, it sits in your garage. Taking up space! Not earning its keep! Why buy a car you can't show off right away?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:46 AM   #31
ronn

well Alex, half of min are not running "yet"

but they do bring a smile to my face every time I walk by.

thats why............ yes I know- expensive smiles.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:11 AM   #32
TerryO

Quote:
who will want to be driving their model a's when gas prices are through the roof and you are using gas at the rate of 12 mpg?
ME !!!

Tob
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:47 AM   #33
goldie

I can not put a price on the joy that this Model A has brought me over the last 8 months and 2500 miles. Purchase a car in very good cosmetic shape but needed some mechanical work that I do myself. All the thumbs up from people except the one guy that gave me the finger, not bad for being in California. Great local A club that is very active and likes to drive their cars. Summit Racing for tires with $40. shipping. Yes, the future of keeping our cars on the road will most likely be more expensive and believe we will be taxed to get them off the road, enjoy while we can.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:01 PM   #34
Oldgearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
We are indeed very fortunate to have such great supply of parts. Granted, some may not be to Henry's standard. But by and large the premium vendors do a great job of supporting our hobby. I can usually get model A parts faster and far more affordably than F250 parts from my local Ford dealer or FLAPS. BTW, a new F250 runs $60K to over $100K - 3 to 5 times the price of a nicely restored model A pickup. In the big scheme, it is still an affordable hobby for most people.
Well said!
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote