Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
wbs

Default 30 roadster springs to front riser

hello how to attach springs to front riser? in reading 20 pagesof posts on the Barn the concensus says the springs go on top of the riser without wood. but no where do they say how. there is a tab on each side of the riser but they are below the top of riser so that is not the answer. other info:new springs bought from sniders and car bought in pieces.
ques
1. how to attach?
2.what tabs with drill holes for?
3.how far forward from front edge of riser should front edge of spring base be?
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:59 AM   #2
fundytides

Default Re: 30 roadster springs to front riser

Do these pics help. If not let me know. Do you have the wood frame attached to the back of your front backrest spring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floorpan.jpg (63.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg seat4.jpg (54.0 KB, 51 views)
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:55 AM   #3
wbs

first, thank so much no i dont have any attached wood i think the pix answers ques #2 i.e. the tabs are for board going across riser is it possible that the spring set is fastened to it but if so where on the bottom of spring set
thank you sir
Old 01-28-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
fundytides

The seat back rest spring can not be installed properly without the wood frame installed on it first. Go to this link for diagram and prices. https://fordwood.com/roadsters1928-37.htm Also probably available from other parts suppliers such as Bratton's, Snyder's etc. Where are you located? It's a good idea to include your location on your profile. Often there may be Model A guys in your area that could help you out. As you can see from my profile, I am in eastern Canada and happen to have an extra new seat frame as well as a used spring with a seat frame attached. If you were in my area, I could help you out with the parts you need but shipping to the US would be prohibitive. Anyway, good luck and let me know if you need any further info. I just finished an off-frame restoration of my 31 Roadster that I have owned since 1959 and learned a lot in the process. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2024, 06:46 PM   #5
gdmn852

Here is a few more pictures of the riser area , as these are repro parts they don’t have the angles that the back seat frame mount to this will have to be made up , Location would be were the holes are.The holes I am referring to are the three on top of back riser .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89D10177-CB90-4A06-9991-F8E93D9D0144.jpg (51.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 39BBC528-95ED-4FB1-AAD3-4877D0036756.jpg (55.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DDE0D2BD-4B6E-4F54-8C94-3CFCE97BDAAB.jpg (51.0 KB, 27 views)
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:11 PM   #6
wbs

thank you bay of fundy [greatest of all tide changes, if i remember my geography] --i am in gastonia NC ---i've got a problem with my rear riser A121-b- i am not sur where to place it in relation to the sill to sill cross member - it appears to me that my cross member is too short for a121b /sills too close--may be/probably my 1930 has been modified---i ve got to figure out a way to pictorilly demonstrate my problem to the group--but i hpoe to solve the demo problem soon- i think it is going to take a sketch
Old 01-28-2024, 08:33 PM   #7
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
thank you bay of fundy [greatest of all tide changes, if i remember my geography] --i am in gastonia NC ---i've got a problem with my rear riser A121-b- i am not sur where to place it in relation to the sill to sill cross member - it appears to me that my cross member is too short for a121b /sills too close--may be/probably my 1930 has been modified---i ve got to figure out a way to pictorilly demonstrate my problem to the group--but i hpoe to solve the demo problem soon- i think it is going to take a sketch
Good memory. Highest tides in the world but I think the honor is shared with a bay in Scotland. Can you post a photo of your cross channel/sub rail issue? As I understand it, you normally have to trim the cross channels to fit but since yours are already too short this wouldn't apply to your situation. The 30-31 coupe is the only model that takes a different cross channel (A-331 instead of A-131) but don't know if it longer or shorter. You probably know this, but the top of the wooden seat frame is held in place by screws coming through the package tray/seat adjuster combo. Good luck and let us know if you solve your issue.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:09 AM   #8
wbs

thank you very much to gdman and fundy i hope to get some pix/sketches out tonight and msmnts out - got to work today and yes to gdman, yes pix helps because i know that th leading edge of seat spring is flush to front of riser . i can figure out where i have to place rear riser. i did not knoe cross member lngths varied.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:25 PM   #9
gdmn852

A few more pictures if it helps,the rear rumble, trunk floor pan will help locating the upper seat riser ,also the front riser may help on location,screws down to the second cross member.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:38 PM   #10
gdmn852

Hello again, rereading my post might be confusing, the front riser is mounted to the first cross member , the upper riser is mounted along the second, look to see if there are holes from original, usually they were riveted in ,on one of the pictures you can see three holes from original riser rivets,on my car it brought the edge of riser even with leading edge of cross member.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:33 PM   #11
wbs

thank you very much gdmn and fundy- ur pix have helped me 200% to see what i need to do- i have put a couple of books on front riser tabs to simulate the board-then the spring base fit within the front riser- i have slid the ledge of the back riser 18" from the front finally i trimmed the ends of the rear riser so thathat it fits between the sills i have attached a pix but its not very good whoops i dont see how attach my pix
Old 01-29-2024, 05:54 PM   #12
gdmn852

The curtain pan underneath the seat will help on upper riser location, the lip on it fits against the upper riser front edge , three screws hold it to the cross member , to replace the original rivets .
Old 02-02-2024, 06:09 PM   #13
wbs

thank you again---there is something unique or wrong for 30 roadster in regard to cross pieces sills wood blocks . i think gdmn kindly helped me before with the sills etc. the fronr and back risers and spring bed are all placed [probly not the way from factory]. i'm going to try to add a photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg springs1.jpg (45.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:41 PM   #14
gdmn852

Hello,your welcome, looks almost like we are working on the same car !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D732872D-5DC9-4D04-AA32-D322EE7A48CD.jpg (53.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:18 PM   #15
wbs

thanks for the pix your car is beautiful
Old 02-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #16
gdmn852

Hello, thanks those are before pictures , looks better than it was , paint was cracked and everything underneath was rust or bondo . Thought it would be a strip and repaint but found old collision damage, bent sub frame,etc. Decided be best to take it apart and repair all its problems . This was an old restoration but they never addressed the structure problems . Another, it doesn’t need anything, me to my wife.