Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
Terry Wilkerson

Default Recomended spark plug wires

What spark plug wires do you recomended to eliminate radio interference?
Terry Wilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
52flthed

Default Re: Recomended spark plug wires

I think any modern performance set would do that. I know when I switched from a common supplied set to the DC FOMOCO branded ones that’s when I had troubles with my radio. It was an Aurora digital conversion and it would skip songs in rapid fire play mode like a machine gun. They couldn’t find out what the problem was. But we finally added condensers everywhere and the problem was eliminated. That’s what you get for trying to go factory correct.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:50 PM   #3
Terry Wilkerson

The car is a 50 Ford Custom . It looks to me like it has the original type wires. They are hard and have no boot on the plug end. What I'm saying I'm pretty sure they need changed.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:02 PM   #4
52flthed

Original looks nice in my opinion . At some point around this time they switched to a water proof ignition and had the rubber boot on the plugs.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
Angledrive

Brillman Company has original type wires
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
47topless

Charlie NY did a distributor rebuild for me recently (1947 59 AB) and he recommended we use 440 Belden, solid core plug wires. He built a set from stock wire and boots etc. They sure do work well for me. Not sure if these wires are the same as the old, original 440 Packard or not.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:26 AM   #7
Brian

"What spark plug wires do you recomended to eliminate radio interference"

Any copper core wire can create radio interference. The late, great 'Rumbleseat', in one of his many posts, recommended tying a knot and pulling it as tight as possible in the HT lead betwix coil and distributor, to eliminate this interference.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #8
sidevalve8ba

I second Brillman Company.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
B-O-B

I third the Brillman company. Get their catalog.

Last edited by B-O-B; 10-26-2023 at 02:05 PM.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #10
tubman

I would also recommend Brillman. I don't like suppression wires in general on an "old car", and use Packard 440 (there's nothin' worth listening to on AM radio anyway). However. on my '51, replacing just the secondary coil lead with a short piece of suppression wire eliminated the noise.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #11
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I would also recommend Brillman. I don't like suppression wires in general on an "old car", and use Packard 440 (there's nothin' worth listening to on AM radio anyway). However. on my '51, replacing just the secondary coil lead with a short piece of suppression wire eliminated the noise.

Ditto

I had problems making reliable distributor and spark plug connections with spiral wound wire. When I pitched the Pertronix, I replaced all with Packard 440 and Raja plug connectors. It interfered badly with the AM/FM radio and the SiriusXM I hid in there. As Tubman noted above, a 1 ft spiral wound piece from the coil to the distributor completely solved the problem.

BTW, the Pertronix worked fine on my 12V car; no complaints. I just would rather have something I can fix if ignition gives problems on the road. So, far, so good on points, but I carry a spare distributor and coil in the trunk. No need for spare condenser, because I use one of Tubman's cans.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:22 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Ditto

I had problems making reliable distributor and spark plug connections with spiral wound wire. When I pitched the Pertronix, I replaced all with Packard 440 and Raja plug connectors. It interfered badly with the AM/FM radio and the SiriusXM I hid in there. As Tubman noted above, a 1 ft spiral wound piece from the coil to the distributor completely solved the problem.

BTW, the Pertronix worked fine on my 12V car; no complaints. I just would rather have something I can fix if ignition gives problems on the road. So, far, so good on points, but I carry a spare distributor and coil in the trunk. No need for spare condenser, because I use one of Tubman's cans.
Correct. 12 volts and a Pertronix require different plug wires than a conventional points setup. Since I'm "old school", I'm not into electronic ignitions; hence my preference for the 440 wire.

I have to wonder, though; if you are running a Pertronix, why do you need one of my condensers? I thank you for the kind words, but I am a bit confused.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Correct. 12 volts and a Pertronix require different plug wires than a conventional points setup. Since I'm "old school", I'm not into electronic ignitions; hence my preference for the 440 wire.

I have to wonder, though; if you are running a Pertronix, why do you need one of my condensers? I thank you for the kind words, but I am a bit confused.
I read it that he HAD a Petronix and took that unit off in favor of an old fashioned points type distributor and keeps a spare in the trunk. Would just switch your condenser over to the spare unit it needed.

Original poster, please clarify.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:02 PM   #14
Terry Wilkerson

I bought a set of suppression wires before reading the later messages. I can take them back as they are still in the box. Guess I'll replace the dist to coil wire and see if that solves the radio noise.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #15
troubadour85

Brillman for another nod
troubadour85 is offline   Reply With Quote