Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
BobM

Default Ford 4 speed top-loader

I've got a 4 speed out a 390 Fairlane and want to replace the side shift linkage with a top mounted gear shifter out of a Jeep as the Ford 4 speed was used in the Jeep. I have read that there are some minor modifications that must be done to the top-loader case before I can install the Jeep style top shifter; does anyone know what this might entail? My plan is to install this behind a 276 flathead in my '36. Thanks, Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Fordestes

Default Re: Ford 4 speed top-loader

Check out The article in Ford Flathead v-8 builders handbook by Frank Oddo
or maybe Street Rodder magazine Dec. 1990, I may have the info.I'll try to locate it in my collection of tech articles, I had planned on doing the same thing, I couldn't find a shift top from a jeep trans. at the time, I did however decide to check out a 3 speed o.d top shifter trans from a ford pickup or bronco, I need to locate one of them, it sounds like a better set up for what I want to do, maybe someone can enlighten me on the 3 speed top shift O.d as to what vehicles they were used in . you may call me later and let me know where to fax or send a copy.
My phone # is 405-623-8419
Good luck,
fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
BobM

Fordestes, I have Oddo's book but was unable to locate the Street Rodder magazine. I don't have a fax machine; please let me know if you have the Street Rodder article & if so perhaps you could scan it & send by email or I could give you my address. Your response to my question is much appreciated.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
flatjack9

The Ford 3 speed OD came out of a mid 80's Ford pickup with 2 wheel drive and a 300 cu in 6. I've had one in my 39 for 17-18 years now. The shift lever comes out almost exactly in the stock 39 location. I grafted my 39 shift lever on and no one is the wiser. It is easy to adapt to an 8BA full bellhousing.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I've got a 4 speed out a 390 Fairlane and want to replace the side shift linkage with a top mounted gear shifter out of a Jeep as the Ford 4 speed was used in the Jeep. I have read that there are some minor modifications that must be done to the top-loader case before I can install the Jeep style top shifter; does anyone know what this might entail? My plan is to install this behind a 276 flathead in my '36. Thanks, Bob
I had planned on doing this on my 39, but found the Jeep shifter hard to come and quite expensive to rebuild. That's why I went with the 3 speed OD. I think there needed to be some grinding done on the inside edge of the case to fit the new shifter in.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Newc

Hi all; My local transmission guy recommends the 3speed plus OD with the IRON case, many were aluminum, and had case problems. Otherwise it is an excellent choice for us. Newc in Oregon
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
BobM

Thanks for responding Jack, am hopeful that it's just a matter of some grinding on the case. If it's going to be something more than an easy fix I may not go any further with this project as I don't have all the parts yet for the shifter & your right the parts are expensive.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
John R

The 3 speed plus O/D is OK, but not great because of the oddball ratio spacing. I believe there were two different gear sets available. For either one, there is a big gap between 2nd and 3rd which is inconvenient for downshifting to pass, etc. Depends how and where you drive, I suppose.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Main modification, from what I saw of someone else's project, was a notch in left side of top opening near rear for a shift fork that has to drop down beside the gears.
The Jeep 4 speed shifter is apparently very hard to find...one of the big companies specializing in toploader parts and complete transmissions now reproduces it, but it is expensive!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
The 3 speed plus O/D is OK, but not great because of the oddball ratio spacing. I believe there were two different gear sets available. For either one, there is a big gap between 2nd and 3rd which is inconvenient for downshifting to pass, etc. Depends how and where you drive, I suppose.
I don't remember what the ratios are in my trans, but it makes a great driver. Wouldn't change it. I've heard this said before, but I don't believe it. Also, absolutely no problems with the case. I've probably got 50,000 miles on mine.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
Fullfendered

Bob, the shifter you are looking for from a T176, Google that an you'll find info on it the Jeep sites. I have what you need collecting dust in my garage, it will need a 1-2 shift fork and a shift lever kit, both available from Jeep and 4 wheel drive vendors. PM me if your are interested.
Fullfendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
paul2748

Go davidkeetoploaders.com He has what you are looking for.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
BobM

Fullfendered, sent a PM but not sure I did it correctly, but am very interested in your shifter. Thanks, Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
BobM

Paul, I have David Kee's catalog but it seems he's no longer offering the "Street Rod" shifter that would've worked for me. If I remember correctly it was very expensive.
Thanks, Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
36tbird

Finding the Jeep shifter is one thing, modifying the Ford case for the shifter is another. I found my shifter years ago by buying a whole Jeep trans off of E-bay. After I robbed the top, I re-sold the remainder as guys could use the gears and case, I reckon.

Easiest way to modify the Ford's case is to get a gasket for the Jeep shifter. Set it on there and it will show where you have to grind out for clearance to get the top on. I have a friend where they got the Jeep top on without grinding out, but it was major pain. You're basically making clearance for one of the shift forks to be able to slide down into its collar. The other part of the case modification is removal of all the side shift gear then plugging the side holes with mini-freeze plugs. Hardest part of the job is removal then re-installing all the box innards.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Milt/Las Vegas

I was thinking about transferring the Ford gears into the jeep case,but thought maybe the bolt pattern was different on the rear of the Jeep case.I've had several top loaders apart,you just can't get ahead of yourself.Years ago I adapted a Gearvenders overdrive to the back of a toploader using AMC Ford toploader 3 speed parts.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
cdan34

Bob
I've done this application many times. The shifting levers on the side of the toploader trans should be sealed by pipe plugs or other means. The jeep top shifting lever needs clearence where the top bolts to the Ford trans. It is on the left side. You will be able to locate this where the shifting fork intereferes with the flange, this is where you grind clearance. On the modifications I've done, they were for the Ford torque tube. I cut off and respline the output shaft and drill and tap 6 holes for the bearing trans holder. Also adding a 1/8 flat plate template for rear of trans, acts as sealer. The problem is the original output shafts are .030 to small for the u joint spline. Fortunatly David Kee in Texas makes bigger dia. output shafts. The next step is to purchase shaft, part to length, turn spline size, drill and tap 3/8 - 24 in center for u joint bolt and mill 6 splines (use carbide .125 end mills). Because the 4 spd Toploader is 1 7/8 longer than the original Ford trans. 1 7/8 comes off the torque tube. This puts the shift lever right where the original Ford was and produces a good,clean, strong application.

Best of luck
Chuck
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
37fatfender

Does anyone know what years the 3 speed OD trans was in Ford PU and Vans. What designation did it have ie...T-5, T-6, T-10... or what name did it have ???????????
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
BobM

Chuck, thanks for the info. I plan on running an open drive shaft, will this eliminate all the modifications you did? Bob
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
Ol' Ron

T-85
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote