Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Rollingmenace

Default stock fuel pump ???

I am going through the entire fuel system on my 51.. in the end I plan on running a electric pump.. but my question is when I do run the electric pump can I run it through the stock pump without any issues or will it damage pump.. or should I just bypass stock pump all together..

Oh and BTW happy New Year everyone
Rollingmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: stock fuel pump ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingmenace View Post
I am going through the entire fuel system on my 51.. in the end I plan on running a electric pump.. but my question is when I do run the electric pump can I run it through the stock pump without any issues or will it damage pump.. or should I just bypass stock pump all together..

Oh and BTW happy New Year everyone
If your '51 has a double pumper fuel pump get rid of it and install a single action pump and run only on the mechanical pump. Install a 'Facett' style pump (which will allow flow thru by the mech. pump) near the fuel tank on the frame rail. The electric pump should be wired with a seperate switch and is only used for pre-starting (after not running for extended periods). It can also be used in case of vapor-lock or other situations where the mech. pump does not function.
And yes, the mech. pump will allow flow-thru by the elect. pump with no ill effects.
This is an example of the type of Facett pump to use.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=7550
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAC-40177.jpg (27.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-04-2014 at 05:20 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
mike42

Rolling......you could also use an Airtex Pump and they come in 6 and 12 volts. They work very well also.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
FRITZ47

I checked the links on the Facet Pumps - they have a nice line of pumps. Does Facet make a 6-volt electric pump that can be used for priming the carburetor only (flow through design)? Or will a 12-volt pump work on 6 volts at a lower volume and/or pressure? Also the same questions on Airtex pumps.

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRITZ47 View Post
I checked the links on the Facet Pumps - they have a nice line of pumps. Does Facet make a 6-volt electric pump that can be used for priming the carburetor only (flow through design)? Or will a 12-volt pump work on 6 volts at a lower volume and/or pressure? Also the same questions on Airtex pumps.

Fritz
As per the Airtex electric pump....They work very well for priming and vapor lock situations. The Airtex E8902 is a 6 volt model with 2-4 lbs pressure which is best for our 6 volt flatheads. This style pump will allow fuel to flow thru when using the mechanical pump. I would also use a "momentary" style toggle switch for the electric pump. It stays in the "off" position when not using. Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
If your '51 has a double pumper fuel pump get rid of it and install a single action pump and run only on the mechanical pump. Install a 'Facett' style pump (which will allow flow thru by the mech. pump) near the fuel tank on the frame rail. The electric pump should be wired with a seperate switch and is only used for pre-starting (after not running for extended periods). It can also be used in case of vapor-lock or other situations where the mech. pump does not funtion.
And yes, the mech. pump will allow flow-thru by the elect. pump with no ill effects.
This is an example of the type of Facett pump to use.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=7550
why do you recommend getting rid of thr "double pumper"? just wondering.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
41LjH

I have used facet, airtex, and Mr. gasket on various projects. My conclusions are: facet is efficient but noisy. airtex is OK but only lasted 6 months. Mr. gasket seems to be doing fine. I would recommend bypassing the mechanical pump and wiring to a toggled hot wire. That way you also have a anti theft device. Most of these pumps are available 6 or 12 volt. Put the pump as close to the tank as possible. They push gas better than they pull.
Good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
G.M.

I am not a believer in the need of an electric pump. Never needed one in several hundred thousand miles in flatheads. However if that's what you want select the right pump and switch. I also don't like rubber hoses and clamp connections under the car where they are not visible. The switch should be a spring loaded type that will only operate the pump when your finger is operating it. An electric pump could put gas in the oil pan under some carb and pump conditions. Select the correct type of pump. The pump should have a lightly sprung check valve in it. This can be tested for by blowing with your mouth through the inlet or tank side of the pump, you should be able to blow through the pump. Then blow back through the outlet and it should block the air. This valve keeps fuel in the mechanical pump and fuel lines all the way to the carb. This makes starting after the car sits for weeks instant if the engine is tuned properly. Bob Shewman [email protected] makes flex hoses with a check valve built into the pump fitting with a life time Teflon inner liner that performs like the pump check valve. The pump selected should not put out over 4 lbs of pressure all though a little higher pressure is not critical if the pump is used for short cycle priming use only. Also the light contacts on the Ford ignition switches do not have much contact area and arc, this extra load will contribute to switch failure. I have posted several times how to cure the switch problem and increase the load capacity of the ignition switch. If any of you have taken a Ford switch apart you are aware of the arcing and wear on the flat surface. Along with the small contact surface on the ball contacts the plastic and brass flat surface was machined with a shaper or fly cutter which produced ridges on the brass and plastic. These ridges and the small ball shaped contacts make a very poor small contact area. G.M.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
why do you recommend getting rid of thr "double pumper"? just wondering.Phil
Remember hearing or reading somewhere that during the period that Ford introduced the double pumper, there were some fuel pump cam lobe failures. Can't confirm that the pump was the cause of the failure but after comparing the amount of pressure needed to activate the double pumper as opposed to the single pumper, I decided to opt on the side of caution and swapped mine as I had no need for windshield wiper vacuum 'boost'.