Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: cameraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis/Arkansas View Post
David/Mass comes to mind. What a wealth of knowledge that man had. I believe things will only get better. Dennis/Arkansas
I contacted David in Mass. via E-mail and got his story on why he is not here. Sad.......because like you say......he has a wealth of knowledge and did not hesitate to help others. JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
flatjack9

The camardarie is of your own making. Lots of people didn't go on the old Fordbarn because of its' format. This is soooo much better. As for David/Mass, he left before the Barn changed.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave72dt View Post
Kind of like walking into a room full of people and you don't know anyone there. I think the new forum has opened the door to people who didn't know Fordbarn existed or really didn't feel quite at home at the HAMB. As we meet these new people, we'll also find more and more of the old familiar names drifting in to visit and get acquanted. It's expanded our knowledge base and known enthusiast base. That's good! As far as getting around in here, just takes some practice. Getting around in the old site took the same thing, practice. Certainly not as hard as finding what you want when shopping in a mall at Xmas

Go ahead, make some new freinds. It's not like we can ever have too many.

Amen, good observation.

I would add that there are other advantages (ala Hoops paste). One of the short comings I've noticed from other sites is that the familiarity that some may miss can unintentionally come across as exclusionary clique-ishness. I wasn't a participant in the old Fordbarn forum, quite frankly hadn't noticed it's existance, only looked at and used the classified feature. I suspect some of the ol' forum members haven't embraced the change and don't come around anymore. Then there are others who are new to the forum feature here who will bring valuable experience and advice. As said by others, give it time, what comes naturally will evolve. I think it's already got a good start. Those who've been involved with starting a forum from scratch would envy the "hit the ground running" nature of the update here.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
Pete

I don't miss Shelly giving me a dose of undeserved crap.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #25
FRANK PKNY

The new barn is great. I think things will level out, my only problem is the posts that keep reappearing on the top. Liked the old way better and also would like it if the read posts would remain marked read. Possible if they changed color, would work for me. I also think some of the old guys from the barn have given up! JMHO Frank pkny
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #26
Vic Piano

I do miss Shelly, in my opinion she made the FordBarn a welcom site to go to for Ford Flathead knowledge and general conversation. To me it felt like one big family. I made a lot of good friends, learned a lot, enjoyed hosting several Florida based FordBarn Meets and yes, was chastized by Shelly once or twice and I'm sure I deserved it. Most of us refered to Shelly as "Mom" out of respect for her and the tough job she handled with finess. I am privillaged to call her a friend.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
Hoop

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this camaraderie business. In spite of the nagging memories of many exchanges on the 'Barn that were more like cat fights in bars, I know what some of you mean.

When I was a kid, my hometown had a "Number Please" phone system. There was no dial on the phone; you just picked up the receiver and the operator said, "Number please." We would give her the number we wanted to call, like 917-J.

Sometimes we didn't know the number so we just told her we wanted to talk to Billy Powell over on the heights. She probably new Esther Powell ... and the phone number without even looking it up. It wasn't a real small town, maybe 20,000 people.

Sometimes you'd be calling a girlfriend. My sister-in-law was a telephone operator and always recognized me on the phone. She'd tease me a lot.

It was hard to cheat on your wife or girlfriend in my hometown because the operators knew everything that was going on. They were also some of the most popular young women and were never short of guys asking them out.

There were also "party lines." Not a heck of a bunch of privacy there.

Lots of camaraderie.

A couple of weeks ago, I was returning from visiting my son and his family out in Montana. As I was boarding the plane in Bozeman, a woman sat down beside me. She was frantically trying to place a cellphone call to her son's hotel to leave him a message. His hotel was in the Czech Republic outside of Prague. She had the hotel's number but not the Czech country "area" code for international calls.

I took my cell phone and called my wife who was at her desk at work back home in Jacksonville. She is the exec assistant to the CEO of a local hospital system; the CEO happened to be on vacation in Rome, she had a list of European country codes on her desk and in 5 seconds we had it.

My seat partner placed the call in time before instructions to discontinue cellphone use was made. We spent the next two hours talking ... camaraderie ... she was an English professor from a small college. NOT my sister-in-law, Marlene, like in the old days, but technology made the link.

And Marlene did not connect me and my son this morning as he drove to work. There was no "Number Please." My son and I had a nice chat ... camaraderie, I guess.

Anyhow, IF there IS something wrong with the camaraderie (don't think there really is), I bet it isn't the communication system ... seems to be going pretty well in this thread anyhow.

Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #28
52merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Change, while inevitable, is sometimes good and sometimes not. For the most part, I'm enjoying the "new" FordBarn format however; I do agree that some of the camaraderie and even the banter have vanished. This format makes things seem much more impersonal in my opinion but, it is what it is and I'm glad we still have a place to congregate,
hi vic when you read all the posts on this thread the main thing that comes up is how easy it is to post photos,i know we all like to post photos but as has been said the camaraderie is not there & it will never be there ,i gather you & others have not had personal messages sent to you with s/a remarks ect ect ect it is quite obvious what site these guys are from, the undertone of there messages leaves something to be desired,we have all heard the stories of that site & what they seemed to have got away with ,,however as ol ron said this is the only game in town for the moment at least, trev
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #29
blacktopbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
camaraderie is not there & it will never be there
The new barn is barely a month along and you expect what was built after 10 years on the old site to be nearly instantaneous here?
As in anything new, there are going to be growing pains. Here there's new members and the old members trying to learn their way around. Almost everyone is learning something new in these early stages.
Also, the on-line aspect of it makes it a bit harder than sitting around a garage or wherever face to face. You have to be a bit more cautious in this instance, at least I am.
Seems to me the only ones who are really hindering the feeling of a growing community and camaraderie here are the ones who are, for lack of better words, bratty and whiny about it.
Why not just look for the positive aspects and try to improve the not so glowing points.
Give it a chance instead of writing it off for all the future.

Last edited by blacktopbuddha; 06-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
flatjack9

Quote:
hi vic when you read all the posts on this thread the main thing that comes up is how easy it is to post photos,i know we all like to post photos but as has been said the camaraderie is not there & it will never be there ,i gather you & others have not had personal messages sent to you with s/a remarks ect ect ect it is quite obvious what site these guys are from, the undertone of there messages leaves something to be desired,we have all heard the stories of that site & what they seemed to have got away with ,,however as ol ron said this is the only game in town for the moment at least, trev
Hey Trev, you've got to get out from under that black cloud over your head. Lighten up, man.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
Frank The Plumber

Quote:
Ive been on both sites, on the other site you pretty much expect no prisoners to be taken on this one you can get lulled in to that. Both are really the same you guys just have cleaner diction. You could never combine the sites, the HAMB motto is modify it hard and this sites motto is stock, Ive seen a few poor souls try to speak out on behalf of saving the stock appeal of a car or two on there, yikes. The old barn never could attract the rod guys and I think that is because of the hambs existence. I liked the old barn but now the cheese is here. And so far its still fresh enough.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
4tford

hey we are the same old bunch and it will just take some time to get into a rhythm.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #33
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
WE make this site what it is.
I have to agree
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #34
redfor40

i think in time everone can enjoy. so far so good like the pictures
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #35
Harms Way

I came to the Ford Barn almost everyday for a lot of years,... I found, and sold some cool stuff here,... I only posted on the forums once in a great while,.... Because to me it was unfamiliar and cumbersome. (I ain't throwing rocks here, it was just unlike any other forum I had been on, and I didn't like it).

I think were just creatures of habit,... we get used to something, and that's what were comfortable with,.... Well, the Ford Barn just went through a growth spell,... some of us like it, others don't and that's understandable. I truly believe if you guys hang in there and continue to give this format a chance,... you will find it much more user friendly,... and streamlined then the Old Ford Barn.

Maybe it's because I'm use to this format,... But for me,..I have a whole lot better feeling of community and camaraderie now,.. then I ever felt before on the Ford Barn,...and believe me,... I gave it a good try over all those years.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #36
Ol' Ron

I must say I do like Cheese, most of the time I get provolone, however Cheter is good too. Sometimes I get Monterrey Jack with Jalopinas . I also like cottage cheese on a salad. I feel sorry for youse guys if i ever figger out how to post pictures. I got a million of them. I think that's why Shelly made it difficult to post them
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #37
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I must say I do like Cheese, most of the time I get provolone, however Cheter is good too. Sometimes I get Monterrey Jack with Jalopinas . I also like cottage cheese on a salad. I feel sorry for youse guys if i ever figger out how to post pictures. I got a million of them. I think that's why Shelly made it difficult to post them
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron-your words of wisdom have been invaluable. I'm thinking the pictures would be even better. As someone said " A picture is worth a 1000 words." IMO the picture posting effort on this site doesn't involve a steep learning curve. Go for it!! Looking forward to your next post with photos. Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #38
X38

You guys still whinin'?

Trev, are you sure you're not English?
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #39
Hotrodladycrusr

In my opinion alot of the "banter" went by way of the social groups and PM's. I really don't understand joining a social group that is topic specific. If it has to do with Fords place it on the main boards.

If someone helped you out by answering a question or offering a solution to a problem that was posted on the main board, reply with your respons/thank you on the main board. No need to send the person a PM and take the "banter" private. Common conversation/banter is how everyone gets to know each other. Trust me when I say just from reading guys comments on this board, not comments directed at me, just comments, questions, suggestions, replies, etc, you can tell quite a bit about a person.....good and not so good.

As far as posting photos, it really is quite easy and is as simple as reading the directions and practicing a time or two.

Last edited by Hotrodladycrusr; 06-10-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Taking back my offer of personal help
Hotrodladycrusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #40
Ol' Ron

My computer grandson is graduation this week. Maybe I can get him to show me how to post pictures when he gets time. Tomorrow I'm getting a new printer with a scanner built in, Could be dangerous.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote