Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
hope

Default cameraderie

I've been surfing for a long time,verry seldom posting,seems to me there's something missing from the old Ford barn, dont ask me what it is but i have this uneasy feeling Something is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: cameraderie

Me too, but it's the only game in town. Enjoy!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
tom/illinois

I ditto that guys. It's just not the same old place.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

I agree too,liked the old barn better. To me it was easier to get around on it,but its all we have. ken isidor ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
rogeroadster

That's an interesting observation. I just mostly lurk also and to me it has quickly settled back to the old ford barn in just a different format.
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
55 dude

was the old place easier to post pictures? this new format with everyone posting pictures of their vehicles in various stages of building or done is killer. as a old mopar guy i can honestly say in the last month i have learned a huge amount about old fords. my 38' isn't stock but the stuff that gets posted is pretty interesting, keep posting tech with pictures.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
blacktopbuddha

Just like your old flathead. You can take your time and clean, measure, align, and straighten and get what you get, OR you can rush and build it dirty and akilter then get what you get.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
fordscript

I also liked the old 'barn, was very saddened when I learned it was going away, but am more than delighted with what we now have. All these photo's etc are just GREAT. Thanks to Ryan and all the contributors.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
Hoop

"The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese."

Who Moved My Cheese? a book by Spencer Johnson, features four characters; two mice, "Sniff" and "Scurry," and two littlepeople, miniature humans in essence, "Hem" and "Haw." They live in a maze, a representation of one's environment, and look for cheese, representative of happiness and success. Initially without cheese, each group, the mice and humans, paired off and traveled the lengthy corridor searching for cheese. One day both groups happen upon a cheese-filled corridor in "Cheese Station C". Content with their find, the humans establish routines around their daily intake of cheese, slowly becoming arrogant in the process.

One day Sniff and Scurry arrive at Cheese Station C to find no cheese left but they are not surprised. Noticing the cheese supply dwindling, they have mentally prepared beforehand for the arduous but inevitable task of finding more cheese. Leaving Cheese Station C behind, they begin their hunt for new cheese together. Later that day, Hem and Haw arrive at Cheese Station C only to find the same thing, no cheese. Angered and annoyed, Hem demands, "Who moved my cheese?" Unprepared, the humans have counted on the cheese supply to be constant. After verifying that the cheese is indeed gone they rant at the unfairness of the situation and both head home hungry. Returning the next day, Hem and Haw find the same cheeseless station. Beginning to realize the situation at hand, Haw proposes a search for new cheese. But Hem is dead set in his victimized mindset and nixes the proposal.

Meanwhile, Sniff and Scurry have found "Cheese Station N", a new supply of cheese. Back at Cheese Station C, Hem and Haw are affected by their lack of cheese and blame each other for their predicament. Hoping to change, Haw again proposes a search for new cheese. However, Hem is comforted by his old routine and also afraid of the unknown. So again he knocks the idea. After many days in denial (including a search for cheese behind the wall of Cheese Station C) the humans remain without cheese. One day, having discovered his debilitating fears, Haw begins to laugh at the situation and stopped taking himself so seriously. Realizing he should simply move on, Haw enters the maze, but not before chiseling "If You Do Not Change, You Can Become Extinct" on the wall of Cheese Station C for his friend to ponder. Still fearful of his trek, Haw jots "What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?" on the wall and, after thinking about that, he begins his journey. Still plagued with worry (perhaps he has waited too long to begin his search...), Haw finds some scattered cheese that nourishes him and he is able to continue his search.

Slowly losing his denial, Haw realizes that the cheese has not suddenly disappeared, but has dwindled from continual eating, and that the older cheese was not as tasty and had been moldy. After a letdown, an empty cheese station, Haw begins worrying about the unknown again. Brushing aside his fears, Haw's new mindset allows him to again enjoy life. He has even begun to smile again! He is realizing that "When you move beyond your fear, you feel free." After another empty cheese station, Haw decides to go back for Hem with the few bits of new cheese he has managed to find. Uncompromising, Hem turns away the new cheese, to his friend's dismay.

With knowledge acquired along the way, Haw heads back into the maze. Going still deeper into the maze, impelled by bits of new cheese here and there, Haw leaves a trail of writings on the wall ("The Handwriting On the Wall"). These clarify his own thinking and give him hope that his friend will find aid in them during his search for new cheese. Still traveling, Haw one day comes across Cheese Station N, abundant with cheese, including some varieties that are strange to him, and he realizes he has found what he is looking for. After eating, Haw reflects on his experience. He ponders a return to see his old friend. But Haw decides to let Hem find his own way. Finding the largest wall in Cheese Station N, he writes:

Change Happens
They Keep Moving The Cheese

Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move

Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old

Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese

Change
Move With The Cheese

Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!

Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited by Hoop; 06-08-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Well put Hoop, I enjoy change, some do some don't.....
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #11
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 dude View Post
was the old place easier to post pictures?
NO!! The new format is much more photo friendly.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
WHITEY

I just like old Fords, enjoy working on them and with their parts, its hard to explain. I would like to gain knowledge from those who have done the work for years, and enjoyed the parts. I hope to share what I know(not much),post some of what Im doing, have done, and encourage others to do the same....

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
Vic Piano

Change, while inevitable, is sometimes good and sometimes not. For the most part, I'm enjoying the "new" FordBarn format however; I do agree that some of the camaraderie and even the banter have vanished. This format makes things seem much more impersonal in my opinion but, it is what it is and I'm glad we still have a place to congregate,
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Change, while inevitable, is sometimes good and sometimes not. For the most part, I'm enjoying the "new" FordBarn format however; I do agree that some of the camaraderie and even the banter have vanished. This format makes things seem much more impersonal in my opinion but, it is what it is and I'm glad we still have a place to congregate,
I agree with what you have said, Vic. This format is easy to post pictures and has many options that we never had before, but the only similarity to the old Barn is the name. This site is very impersonal, it seems to me. But, its all we have now.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese." Who Moved My Cheese?
What a great story! It can relate to nearly any situation. I think as we get older it's tougher to change habits we've had for years.

As for the comaraderie, I think I know what some of you mean. How I wish we could sit around the woodstove like when I was a kid, while Dad and his cronies told stories. . . well it ain't like that no more and ain't never gonna be that way again.

Being in the Air Force and working for the Army for most of the last 39 years, I've seen plenty of persons come and go, some never to return while others might only be a click or 2 away. Like it or not, we learn to embrace change, but we don't have to forget the old days & ways.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
I've been surfing for a long time,verry seldom posting,seems to me there's something missing from the old Ford barn, dont ask me what it is but i have this uneasy feeling Something is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked and miss the camaraderie on the old 'Barn as well, but the more I work with this new forum software, the more I like it. It was kinda like losing an old friend, or maybe many old friends, but we can't go back now and we should be very thankful that Ryan stepped up and took the Bull by the horns. JMO, JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Dave72dt

Kind of like walking into a room full of people and you don't know anyone there. I think the new forum has opened the door to people who didn't know Fordbarn existed or really didn't feel quite at home at the HAMB. As we meet these new people, we'll also find more and more of the old familiar names drifting in to visit and get acquanted. It's expanded our knowledge base and known enthusiast base. That's good! As far as getting around in here, just takes some practice. Getting around in the old site took the same thing, practice. Certainly not as hard as finding what you want when shopping in a mall at Xmas

Go ahead, make some new freinds. It's not like we can ever have too many.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
19Fordy

The new Fordbarn format is a million times better in all respects that the old, especially when it come to posting photos. Hat's off to Ryan. The difference , I think, now is that you don't have the frequency of "posts" by the old Fordbarn regulars.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Dennis/Arkansas

Hey Hoop, I really enjoyed the mouse story, very apropos. I was hesitant about embracing this new format at first. Now I'm glad I did, it is certainly proving its worth! The old format was great as well. The comraderie is slowly creeping in. I do miss some of the old barn contributors, David/Mass comes to mind. What a wealth of knowledge that man had. I believe things will only get better. Dennis/Arkansas
Dennis/Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
hotcoupe

WE make this site what it is.
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote