Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default The Blue Ridge Mountain. Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011

Pictures added starting on page 5, post #89

Announcing... "The Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011"

During the Barner's Bash this spring, in Tampa Bay, FL, I was asked by one of the attendees if I would think about putting a tour together in the Blue Ridge Mountains some time this year. I've never put a tour together before so I'm hoping this one comes together and we get a good turn-out. I chose the latter part of October because the foliage is so beautiful that time of the year. I have narrowed the possible dates down to 10/15/11 to 10/24/11. My thoughts being these dates will include two weekends allowing those folks who must still work for a living to attend without needing to take a lot of vacation time and also for those who are interested in traveling further south to attend the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA, on Saturday, 10/22/11. A starting/meeting location would be Front Royal, VA. Anyone would be welcome to join in on this tour regardless of what type of car you have and where along the route you may be located. Anyone would also be welcome to join in or drop out of this tour any time or any place along the way. What I am looking for now are suggestions on how far we would like to travel each day, places/attractions along the Parkway that we would be interested in seeing, good restaurants for our meals, and nice hotels/motels/B&B's, etc., where we would like to stay each night. I would also like to get some idea now of how many of you folks would like to do this tour? You could respond here on this post or send me a PM/email message. We do need to move forward as soon as possible to make sure we can book accommodation's as necessary. As Vic Piano once said, "To tour or not to tour?"...that is the question. Stay tuned for more information forthcoming. Cheers!!

PS....this tour is not sponsored in anyway by The FordBarn.com

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: The Blue Ridge Mountain. Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011

Ok Everyone time to step up.
We have a point Man now.
That is a hard place to be.
Lets start giving him Ideas so it can be a great time for all.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Excellent John, let me know what I can do to help. Vic
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
chuck stevens

John,
In the next day or so I can send you a list of more hotels that could be out second night stop. It is hard to say how far we will travel each day because of scenic over look stops, time taking pictures. Chuck
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
phartman

John, I just knocked out 170 miles or so in my shop truck. Got on at Afton Mountain and went down to Piper's Gap, VA. Love to jump in with you. Here are a couple of pics. All I can say is Go! You'll have a blast. If there is any way I can join you, I'm in.

Pete

phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
phartman

Oh, and downtown Floyd, VA on a Friday night is a requirement. Great stop on the tour.

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Pete,you are more than welcome to jump in or out anywhere along the tour. WOW! that picture of the water wheel/mill looks like a painting! The suggested stops and places to stay are appreciated as I have never been on the Blue Ridge Mountains before.
As plans come together we will post info on planned stops and places to stay.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
jim1932

Just to avoid confusion.... the part of the trail starting in Front Royal is the Skylinedrive. It is the same road, it just changes names further down. THis road is a lot of up and down so be sure to do your brakes before you go. I think most of it is 35 to 40 MPH so you won't go as far in a day as you might think. We will also need to plan on gas stops as I know there isn't any on the skyline drive portion, not sure on the Blueridge.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
phartman

Jim, you are absolutely correct about road conditions. I had not been on the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in quite some time, but lived along it here in Virginia from 1976-1981. Didn't remember how narrow it was. Parts are in ok shape, but most spots are beginning to need repaving. You wouldn't want to do more than 45mph in most places. Late October is the busiest travel period and folks are slow because they want to see the foliage. It can also be wet and COLD. So be prepared.

Gasoline availability and repair help is spotty. Along the Skyline Drive, for instance, you have to exit the road- off Route 33 for instance- and drive a ways to find services. Same on the Parkway. From Afton Mountain all the way down to Bedford, for instance, not much in the line of gasoline. The fuel stops will need to be planned out. And participants should pack along every spare part (within reason) they might possibly need. On sections of the Parkway, you are a long way from the autoparts store.

I covered 176 miles in an afternoon, but didn't stop for gas but once and only took a couple pictures. 200 or so miles in a day is about right. And you want to take your time.

Oh, and pack your own snacks and drinks. I went a long way at one point before I found a place to buy a Pepsi and some peanut butter crackers!

Prettiest stretch in my book is from Roanoke, VA to Boone, NC. Lots of places to get out and look.

That mill is Mabry's Mill at Meadows-of-Dan, VA. Very pretty spot indeed! Possibly the most photographed site on the Parkway.

Pete

Last edited by phartman; 05-31-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

I have been trying to get our club (Upstate Early Ford V8) to do a tour, would love to join you with a couple of cars-How can I help?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

bttt....I need to get rolling with some firm plans/itinerary for this tour and things will start hopping on this real soon. I'm planning a trip to Winchester, VA week after next to look at a '35 Coupe. After that I will head to Front Royal, VA to find a good hotel to use as our initial starting/gathering point. I will also start compiling our attendance list so I need to know who is planning to attend this tour. So far I have five confirmed attendees/couples. If you would like to join us on this tour and have not already responded to me, please send me a pm/email message. Thank you!

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Hoop

Just returned from Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Asheville section is in great condition, by the way.

If Ashville is chosen as one of the stops, either overnight or lunch, here are a couple of notes since food and lodging are not always convenient near the Parkway.

Just off the Pkwy and a very short distance is:

Celebrity's Hot Dogs (http://celebrityhotdogs.net/)
"Celebrity's started as a joke. NASCAR driver Robert Pressley, son of legendary Asheville short-track racer Bob Pressley, had been telling his buddies since 1990 that when he had to hang up his helmet, he'd start slinging dogs. Although still involved in racing, he recently made good on his promise, opening Celebrity's, which he envisions as the first of many sport-themed restaurants. The walls and tables are plastered with NASCAR memorabilia, but he has the goods to make the shtick stick – the Carolina dogs here are quite possibly the best in town. The restaurant takes obvious care with its product, asking customers to allow 15 minutes for the preparation of five or more dogs at lunchtime. Pressley won't reveal which brand of hot dogs he uses – it's a secret worth guarding – but the salt-tinged beef-and-pork links, nestled in buttery buns, are beautifully complemented by the perfectly textured chili, onions and slaw. Carolina dog lovers, start your engines. 1409 Brevard Road; 670-5954"

Brevard Road is route 191 and the exit closest to where I-26 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's actually closer to the Pkwy than to I-26 and is a 10 for convenience. AND, it is car oriented as you can tell from the website.

Check their cruise-in schedule: http://www.cruisincarolinamagazine.c...ille-nc-2011-2

http://celebrityhotdogs.net/wp-conte...s/images/2.jpg

The hot dogs are good, BUT the corndogs are probably the best we've ever eaten. The prices are very inexpensive and the place looks like it might have looked in the 50's. Plain, clean little old drive in.

As far as lodging in the area, the closest right there to the Pkwy is a Country Inn and Suites http://www.countryinns.com/asheville...28806/ncashvil

This is in a very safe area ... Hampton Inn is next door if you prefer spending more, and there's plenty of supermarket shopping very close by.

We stayed there, $69 (we'd have paid more because of the thunderstorms and hail that chased us from the top of Mt. Pisgah) ... very clean little breakfast area. Try the do-it-yourself waffles.

Gas currently $3.54 or so. South Carolina much less at $3.29 but too far away from the Pkwy.

Last edited by Hoop; 06-19-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
40cpe

My wife and I toured the parkway for 3 days about 3 yeas ago after the NSRA meet in Knoxville. We would be interested in joining the tour for a few days mid-week before the Moonshine festival. I'll be watching as the dates/locations firm up.

Last edited by 40cpe; 05-25-2014 at 09:19 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
Merlin

The Blue Ridge has some fantastic views. Earlier this month we participated in the Deuce run to Blowing Rock.

Last edited by Merlin; 08-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Hoop, 40cpe, Merlin, Alan, and others, thank you for you input/interest. I will note any/all suggestions as I try to finalize plans. Also, as I mentioned before, anyone is welcome to join in anywhere along the way. I'm really looking forward to seeing and doing all that has been suggested so far. Thank you!!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
phartman

John, if there is any way to join you for the Skyline/Blue Ridge 1st leg, I'll try and do it. It's just a busy time of year. I understand you'll try and leave Front Royal on the 15th?

The following weekend is Jalopyrama. And the weekend after that is the final race (maybe forever) at Maxton.

I'll need to check with da Boss and see what she's got in mind. Three weekends in a row away from home are probably not doable, but if there is any way to join you for at least part of the tour at the start, I'll be there.

Dang, lots to choose from this Fall.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
BILL WZOREK

John

Just a thought.

Whatever Motel you chose for the start point you may want to check to see if we can leave some cars / Trailers for those that end up riding with others or those that trailer their cars to start point.
Just a thought.

BILL / LEE W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
Richard Wilson

Just a few thoughts here. Skyline Drive is a fee based road with toll booths at each end maintained by a private company. The Blue Ridge Parkway has free access for it's entire 469 mile length. The BRP is maintained by the National Park Service Division of the US Department of the Interior. Check out their web sites. There are many inexpensive Blue Ridge Parkway guide books and maps available through the National Park Service or your local bookstore. These would be invaluable in planning a tour. As has already been mentioned, there are only at most 3-4 places actually on the BRP to buy gas and zero repair shops. You should plan to exit the BRP for gas, food or car repairs. This might be several hundred yards or several miles. Also if you break down you have to go through the National Park Service to have a rollback come get your vehicle as the BRP does NOT allow commercial vehicles. This is a big time high dollar fine. Be sure your vehicle has good steering, good brakes and good engine cooling. The BRP is a scenic, curvey, steep up hill and down hill, narrow roadway with no room to pull off the road except at the overlooks. Speed limit on the BRP is 45 MPH with most tourists driving about 35 to 40 MPH with NO passing allowed. Be sure to watch out for all of the bicyclists going about 10 MPH or less, especially in the blind curves. The BRP is the perfect road to drive your Model A or early V-8 in my opinion. Good luck with your tour!
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Richard Wilson

One other tip. Middle to late October is the peak of the "fall leaf color" tourist season on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That means lot's of tourist traffic and full motel rooms especially on the weekends. Better make plans and reservations early.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Vic Piano

By request from JM.