Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2023, 10:20 AM   #81
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Bench testing convertible top motor

Roberto,

I am glad it worked out for you. Did you have a 12 volt battery, hooked up to the motor when you did the movie? The reason I ask, is that the entire movie is only 57 seconds long and that is about the time it takes for me to put my top up.

Roy

Roberto,

Sono contento che abbia funzionato per te. Avevi una batteria da 12 volt, collegata al motore quando hai fatto il film? Il motivo per cui chiedo è che l'intero film è lungo solo 57 secondi e questo è il tempo necessario per me di mettere il mio raggio.

Roy

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-08-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #82
Sunnybob

Roy, I was not there but I presume it was on 6 volts. I'm going to ask to Massimo, the mechanic.

I watched this video and you can se how fast is the top of that black Monterey (faster than mine)...

https://youtu.be/6PAvz_tiD28 Go to min 9.40.

Edit:
Massimo told me it was working on 6 volts-

Last edited by Sunnybob; 07-08-2023 at 10:57 AM. Reason: More info
Sunnybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #83
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

The Black Monterey has a 12 volt battery in his car.

Now I am jealous, my car take 58 seconds to put the top up and 26 seconds to put the top down.

I always though this movie segment, from the Long Long Trailer, showing the top going down was fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50OFuouSZm4

Well back to work for me!

Roy

Roberto,

Il Black Monterey ha una batteria da 12 volt nella sua auto.

Ora sono geloso, la mia auto impiega 58 secondi per mettere in alto e 26 secondi per mettere la parte superiore.

Ho sempre pensato che questo segmento di film, dal lungo trailer lungo, che mostrava che la parte superiore scendeva era veloce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ofUUSZM4

Bene, torna al lavoro per me!

Roy
Old 07-14-2023, 04:09 AM   #84
Sunnybob

Roy,

you are right, Lucy's top seems faster as mine and it is quite strange your top is slower.. But if it works I would not worry about it

Ciao

Roberto
Old 07-14-2023, 12:34 PM   #85
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

You are not officially a 53' Mercury convertible owner, until you have watched the movie "The Long Long Trailer".

When do you get your car back, to start driving and enjoying it?

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Non sei ufficialmente un proprietario convertibile da Mercury, fino a quando non hai visto il film "The Long Long Trailer".

Quando riporta la tua auto per iniziare a guidare e divertirti?

Dopo,

Roy
Old 07-16-2023, 04:09 AM   #86
Sunnybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Roberto,

You are not officially a 53' Mercury convertible owner, until you have watched the movie "The Long Long Trailer".

When do you get your car back, to start driving and enjoying it?

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Non sei ufficialmente un proprietario convertibile da Mercury, fino a quando non hai visto il film "The Long Long Trailer".

Quando riporta la tua auto per iniziare a guidare e divertirti?

Dopo,

Roy

Roy, I saw the movie, of course . It was broadcasted on TV several time here. It was dubbed into italian and released in cinemas at the time, but it is occasionally rebroadcast on TV. The title here was "12 metri d'amore" (12 meter of love) . I am attaching one of the italian movie poster.

Next week I should take the car home, there are still some problems with the carburetion with the engine warm (here it's doing temperatures close to 40 celsius, 100 fahrenheit). I bought a carburettor overhaul kit but it seems that some of the adjustment screws are nailed.

Ciao

Roberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 metri.jpg (42.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #87
Sunnybob

Hi, I found this on ebay.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/37375537608...3Avlp_homepage

What is it? What is governor purpose? Thank you so much.
Old 07-16-2023, 12:45 PM   #88
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

When you say "but it seems that some of the adjustment screws are nailed." I am not sure what you are referring to.

The only adjustments to the carburetor are:

1. changing out the jets, for altitude
2. idle jets (screw them in or out to get the proper mixture)
3. setting the level of the float (to keep the car from running either too lean or too rich)

From your prior picture, you have the correct carburetor for you Merc-O-Matic 1953, Mercury in the car now, (9510 M LIST 882-1)

What symptoms are you experiencing? I would guess that since your temp is 100 degrees F, you might be getting a bit of vapor lock. Here that is a reality, due to the cheap gas we have to use, but I would expect that would not be an issue for you (not sure).

If you take the car out early in the morning, do you have the same issues?

I would guess, that once your carburetor has been completely dissembled, thoroughly cleaned and reassembled with a new kid, many, if not all of the issue will have been corrected.

As to the ebay carburetor, that appears to be for a Lincoln and would not work on your car.I have no experience with that carburetor but the manual says:

"The Holley Centri-Vac Governor on the Model 1901-FFG truck carburetor has been designed ans engineered as an integral part of the carburetor. The unit accurately controls engine speed without excessive over-run or surging regardless of variations in the load on the engine."

An issue with trucks but not so much for cars.

Do you have an electric fuel pump on your car in addition to the manual pump?

I did notice form the picture that you vacuum on the rear of the carburetor was not hooked up. Was that just for the picture?

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Quando dici "ma sembra che alcune delle viti di regolazione siano inchiodate." non sono sicuro di cosa ti riferisci.

Le uniche regolazioni al carburatore sono:

1. Cambiare i getti, per l'altitudine
2. getti inattivi (avvitali dentro o fuori per ottenere la miscela corretta)
3. Impostazione del livello del galleggiante (per impedire all'auto di correre troppo magra o troppo ricca)

Dalla tua immagine precedente, hai il carburatore corretto per te Merc-O-Matic 1953, Mercurio nell'auto Now, (9510 M Elenco 882-1)

Quali sintomi stai vivendo? Immagino che poiché la tua temperatura è di 100 gradi F, potresti ricevere un po 'di blocco vapore. Qui è una realtÃwww.jalopyjournal.net, a causa del gas economico che dobbiamo usare, ma mi aspetto che non sarebbe un problema per te (non sono sicuro).

Se tiri fuori la macchina la mattina presto, hai gli stessi problemi?

Immagino che una volta che il tuo carburatore è stato completamente dissembrato, accuratamente pulito e riassemblato con un nuovo bambino, molti, se non tutto il problema, sarÃwww.jalopyjournal.net stato corretto.

Per quanto riguarda il carburatore eBay, questo sembra essere per un Lincoln e non funzionerebbe sulla tua auto. Non ho esperienza con quel carburatore ma il manuale dice:

"Il governatore di Holley Centri-VAC sul carburatore del camion del modello 1901-FFG è stato progettato e ingegnerizzato come parte integrante del carburatore. L'unitÃwww.jalopyjournal.net controlla accuratamente la velocitÃwww.jalopyjournal.net del motore senza eccessivi o in aumento indipendentemente dalle variazioni del carico sul motore . "

Un problema con i camion ma non tanto per le auto.

Hai una pompa elettrica sul carburante sulla tua auto oltre alla pompa manuale?

Ho notato la foto che il vuoto sul retro del carburatore non è stato collegato. Era solo per la foto?

Dopo,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230612170406.jpg (57.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg carb1.jpg (78.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg carb2.jpg (49.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0096 (3).jpg (101.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-16-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:25 AM   #89
Sunnybob

Hi Roy,

I just made my first road test. Cars drives quite well. There are few items to check.

1) Brakes. They are new but seems absolutely underpowered. Massimo says
they shoud become better later. Hope so. Everything, except drums is new.

2) Probably the mixture is too lean. Spark plugs are white and when driving sometimes the engine stops. It happens at idle speed. If I stopped to make a turn sometimes the engine die.. On restarting the engine the car starts straight away but you have to accelerate (pump gas) so it appears to be lean. Massimo says idle jet screw are locked .. that's what I meant.

The rear vacuum is closed. Just a tube with a cap. What is it for?

I have a 6v electric pump in the back and is original fuel pump in the hood. Working together.

Thank you

Ciao

Roberto
Old 07-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #90
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

When is Massimo scheduled to clean and rebuild the carburetor? Hopefully, when he soaks the carburetor to clean it, the idle screws will break loose. That make me think the passage ways in the carburetor are totally clogged or corroded. From your description, it sounds that you are running lean.

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Quando è programmato Massimo per pulire e ricostruire il carburatore? Spero che quando immergi il carburatore per pulirlo, le viti inattive si libereranno. Questo mi fa pensare che i modi di passaggio nel carburatore siano totalmente intasati o corrosi. Dalla tua descrizione, sembra che stai correndo magro.

Dopo,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0643.jpg (60.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0646 -1.jpg (66.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9937.jpg (61.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9946.jpg (67.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9958.jpg (10.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #91
Sunnybob

Good question Roy, I don't have the answer yet :-(
Old 07-17-2023, 02:46 PM   #92
Merc Cruzer

If you get a chance, could you post a picture of a spark plug? I want to see just how white it is.

Se ne hai una possibilità, potresti pubblicare una foto di una candela? Voglio vedere quanto sia bianco.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:04 PM   #93
Sunnybob

Hi Roy, i would ask to Massimo.. to be honest the brakes worry more than the tune up... ��
Ciao
Roberto
Old 07-17-2023, 05:47 PM   #94
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

Ciao, sounds like they haven't set in yet. Normal y, I would recommend that the brake shoes be arched to match the drums, but I am not sure that is available to you. I am probably going to get a ton of grief for this but, but find an empty road and ride the brakes, to take the surface off the new shoes. Make numerous hard stops and see if the brakes don't feel better afterwards.

If the pedal is soft that is a different matter.

If you really want good brakes search the web and find an original Tredel-Vac power assist brakes, offed as original equipment from the factory. I have one on my car ans it will stop on a dime and give you 8 cents change! You can still buy the rebuild kits for them. That port on the back of the carburetor, you were asking about previously, will power them. The vacuum tank is mounted under the drivers floor, to the inside of the frame.

http://ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?t=149

Roy

Roberto,

Ciao, sembra che non abbiano ancora iniziato. Normale Y, consiglierei che le scarpe dei freni siano inarcate per abbinare la batteria, ma non sono sicuro che sia disponibile per te. Probabilmente avrò un sacco di dolore per questo, ma, ma trovo una strada vuota e cavalcherò i freni, per togliersi la superficie dalle nuove scarpe. Fai numerose fermate difficili e vedi se i freni non si sentono meglio in seguito.

Se il pedale è morbido, è una questione diversa.

Se vuoi davvero buoni freni per cercare sul Web e trovare un originale Tredel-Vac Power Assist Freen, offused come apparecchiatura originale della fabbrica. Ne ho uno sulla mia macchina e si fermerà su un centesimo e ti darà un cambio di 8 centesimi! Puoi ancora acquistare i kit di ricostruzione per loro. Quel porto sul retro del carburatore, stavi chiedendo in precedenza, li alimenterà. Il serbatoio del vuoto è montato sotto il pavimento dei conducenti, all'interno del telaio.

Alcune mie foto quando l'ho ricostruito.

http://ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?t=149

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4735.jpg (71.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4736.jpg (69.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4737.jpg (86.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4738.jpg (86.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4740.jpg (66.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4745.jpg (92.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025 (4).jpg (85.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0096.jpg (84.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4225.jpg (90.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 128.jpg (47.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-19-2023, 05:20 AM   #95
Sunnybob

Hi Roy,
here the pic of a spark plug you asked
thank you so much

Ciao

Roberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Senza titolo.jpg (24.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-19-2023, 10:02 AM   #96
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

Honestly, your plug doesn't look that bad. It looks clean. I am attaching a few pictures of one of my plugs. How much have you driven since these plugs were installed? City or highway? What brand and number are your plugs. I realize everyone has their own preferences.

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Onestamente, la tua spina non sembra così male. Sembra pulito. Allego alcune foto di una delle mie spine. Quanto hai guidato da quando sono state installate queste spine? Città o autostrada? Quale marchio e numero sono i tuoi tappi. Mi rendo conto che ognuno ha le proprie preferenze.

Dopo,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0056 (2).jpg (20.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0060.jpg (10.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0061.jpg (11.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #97
Sunnybob

Hi Roy, my spark plugs are champion 854 brand new. I had a 1958 AJS (british bike) some years ago and it hated NGK. I had the opposite problem: always too rich mixture and black spark plugs. In my opinion NGK are more sensitive to modern fuel in old engines. Anyway we have the same colour ;-) but I presume they shoud be a little more nut colour

My car has only been driven a few miles and in mostly urban settings, with no air filter. No freeways.

Ciao
Roberto
Old 07-19-2023, 12:33 PM   #98
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

I think you need to put at least 25 miles on the car, a highway speeds, then come home and pull the plug to see what it looks like, as that will give you a better reading of the true plug condition. Like I said, everyone has their own preference of plugs.

Last we spoke, you were concerned about the brakes, has that improved any?

My latest project was tracking down a correct piece of accelerator/kickdown linkage for my car. When I got it, 13 years ago, it had a generic piece of linkage on it and I was never able to find the correct one. Well you live with it for years and then the day comes, that it is time to begin the search. I placed adds on the Ford Barn. and Facebook, to no avail. I sent numerous e-mails to local salvage yards, still nothing.

When we were restoring my wifes 1970 Cougar XR-7, we had a favorite salvage yard for parts. They used to be open 6 days a week, but now it seems the yards are only open on Saturdays. I found out they were open on Satureday from 8:00 until 3:00. So last Saturday, I made the trip up to the yard, about an hour away. Naturally the 53' Merc's were in the far corner of the yard. When I got to the corner, the weeds were high and they had 3, 53' Merc's still in the yard. None of them still had the flathead engines in them so I proceeded to go through the interiors and trunks. When I opened the drivers door on one of them, there was an incorrect air cleaner for the car, sitting on the front seat. I pushed it off and believe it or not, there was a complete linkage system for a 1953 Mercury with an Merc-O-Matic (the standard transmission linkages are not the same.) I paid for the linkage ($50) and came home and cleaned it up and took the correct piece off of it and put it on the car. The incorrect piece is now on the linkage system, for storage.

I am looking forward to hearing of you getting to dive yours with the top down on a nice day in Northerner, Italy. Shots of the Alps in the background would be beautiful. As you could guess, I am partial to mountains.

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Penso che tu debba mettere almeno 25 miglia sulla macchina, una velocità autostradale, quindi tornare a casa e tirare la spina per vedere come appare, in quanto ti darà una lettura migliore della vera condizione di spina. Come ho detto, ognuno ha la propria preferenza di spine.

L'ultima volta abbiamo parlato, eri preoccupato per i freni, ne ha migliorato?

Il mio ultimo progetto è stato rintracciare un corretto pezzo di collegamento acceleratore/kickdown per la mia auto. Quando l'ho preso, 13 anni fa, aveva un pezzo di collegamento generico su di esso e non sono mai stato in grado di trovare quello corretto. Beh, vivi con esso per anni e poi arriva il giorno in cui è tempo di iniziare la ricerca. Ho piazzato aggiungi al fienile Ford. e Facebook, inutilmente. Ho inviato numerose e-mail ai cantieri di salvataggio locali, ancora niente.

Quando stavamo ripristinando le mie wife 1970 Cougar XR-7, avevamo un cantiere di salvataggio preferito per le parti. Erano aperti 6 giorni alla settimana, ma ora sembra che i cantieri siano aperti solo il sabato. Ho scoperto che erano aperti su Saturday dalle 8:00 alle 3:00. Quindi sabato scorso, ho fatto il viaggio fino al cortile, a circa un'ora di distanza. Naturalmente i 53 'Merc erano nell'angolo lontano del cortile. Quando arrivai all'angolo, le erbacce erano alte e avevano ancora 3, 53 'Merc nel cortile. Nessuno di loro aveva ancora i motori a testa piatta, quindi ho continuato a passare attraverso gli interni e i tronchi. Quando ho aperto la porta del conducente su uno di loro, c'era un detergente per aria errata per l'auto, seduto sul sedile anteriore. L'ho spinto fuori e ci crediate o no, c'era un sistema di collegamento completo per un mercurio del 1953 con un merc-o-matico (i collegamenti a trasmissione standard non sono gli stessi.) Ho pagato per il collegamento ($ 50) e sono tornato a casa e sono tornato a casa Lo ha pulito e ha toccato il pezzo corretto e metterlo sulla macchina. Il pezzo errato è ora sul sistema di collegamento, per la conservazione.

Non vedo l'ora di sapere che tu possa immergerti con la parte superiore in una bella giornata a Northerner, in Italia. I colpi delle Alpi sullo sfondo sarebbero belli. Come puoi immaginare, sono parziale alle montagne.

Dopo,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedway salvage yard 1 (21).jpg (70.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Speedway salvage yard 1 (22).jpg (65.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9996 (2).jpg (108.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Speedway salvage yard 1 (5).jpg (83.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Speedway salvage yard 1 (13).jpg (37.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Speedway salvage yard 1 (29).jpg (35.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:21 AM   #99
Sunnybob

Roy,

Saturday i will take the Mercury at home as I need to drive it more than few miles to adjust and improve the brakes, as you said. And I'll see if any other part of the car is going to go on vacation

What about your top? Did you understand why it goes slower?

I enjoyed your story about the linkage. Never stop searching... our holy grail can be hiding in the most unexpected place! I have been to the USA several times and have always enjoyed looking for parts in junkyards. Too bad the world is changing fast and soon these places will disappear. Here in Italy it has become almost impossible to keep wrecked cars, the law requires the immediate demolition of vehicles. It must be said that obviously there have never been wreckers here with American cars, which are too rare.

By the way I would ask you for a spare part that I see on the car in the photo. I can see that it has complete taillights which look okay (chrome looks decent). Would it be possible to know how much they cost?

Not sure when I can make a trip to the mountains.. They are quite close and in less than 1 hour I can be in Lugano, Switzerland. I have several friends there that are american cars nuts...maybe next month if the brakes will improve enough

Ciao

Roberto
Old 07-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #100
Merc Cruzer

Roberto,

I looked back at the picture you are referring to and the drivers side light has a big dent in it, not to mention, both of the lights are missing their frames and lenses. As I guess you have too, I looked on e-bay the prices are ridiculous and out right gouging. Let me keep an eye out for you, and see what I run across during my searches.

Later,

Roy

Roberto,

Ho guardato indietro all'immagine a cui ti riferisci e la luce laterale dei conducenti ha una grande ammaccatura, per non parlare del fatto che entrambe le luci mancano i loro telai e lenti. Come immagino che tu abbia anche tu, ho guardato su e-bay i prezzi sono ridicoli e si estendono. Lasciami tenere d'occhio per te e vedere cosa ho incontrato durante le mie ricerche.

Dopo,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0009 (2).jpg (27.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0895 (3).jpg (41.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9996 (3).jpg (108.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-20-2023 at 02:30 PM.