Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
lenmissy

Default skip wat6er pumps

do skip pumps make 40 flattie run cooler how much are they how many fins do they have len
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: skip wat6er pumps

Len Skips pumps will make your 40 run in the normal temperature range. His impellers are not like any other pump. They are a turbine type impeller with an areodynamic design that smoothly pumps the water at almost twice the volumn of other similar pumps. With no air being stirred into the water like impellers there is better cooling. Water with air becomes larger in volumn but does not cool as good as plain water. I should use the term coolant because I don't want to imply plain water cools better than an anti-freeze mixture. We never had any heating problems in thousands of old Fords with a 2 gallon anti-freeze mixture which also protects the system from corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TURBINE ALUM.jpg (32.2 KB, 491 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
frenchy dehoux

I had Skip rebuild my two water pumps for my Lincoln V12 Hot Rod. With my electric fan it runs at 165 all day long no problems at 110 degree here in Phoenix.

Frenchy
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
G.M.

These are not claims but facts backed by many others on this site and other sites as well. Used as instructed they produce at least a 20 degree increase in cooling on 99% of the engines installed on. Shelly never had a problem with me, just a few winers of which I would bet you were one. I never went away, still here and the pumps are still doing what I say they do if you follow instructions which includes a good 4 lb pressure cap or Skips 3 lb valve. I can't help it that Ford never figured out how to solve the coil or over heating problem. Everyone else for 60 plus years also went in the opposite direction saying there was too much water going through the radiator adding restrictors and cutting off some of the already inefficiant paddle wheels they called impellers.The only real simple solution is Skips pumps installed as per his instructions. If there is a problem the customer can call or email Skip and the problem gets resolved. A pressure cap provision is stock on a lot of old Fords and the 3 lb valve is installed with a rubber hose on the bottom end of the over flow tube on early radiators without a pressure cap and is hardly visible or can easly be slipped off for judging purposes. G.M.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

As a point of interest the Bob Drake pumps also have the curved impellers, but have 8 of them.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
donald1950

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
what suprises me is that GM is disrespecting Frenchie, calling him a whiner, when he, frenchie, even states he has skips pumps in his ride. and a nice looking ride at that.

for those of you new to the new ford barn forum, GM (George Mitchell of Skips pumps fame) has a tendency to disrespect any poster that disagrees with him in the issue of waterpumps other than his, and seems to have evolved back into quite a sales pitch as he did on Shellys fordbarn forun, AND SHE DID HAVE PROBLEMSE WITH HIS (yours, GM) SALES TESTIMONIALS AND DISRESPECTING AND ARGUING WITH POSTERS WHO DISAGREE WITH HIM.

here is corespondence from shelly to GM ansking him to knock off the sales and arguments.

Subject: Re: water pump comparisons and sales
Hi Don,
Thanks for your note as well as pointing out that post. I've been out
of town and just returned home so I had missed them.
Please find enclosed a note that I have just emailed to GM (this should
do the trick)

Hello GM,
After much consideration, as well as many emails from Fordbarn members,
the time has come that I must ask you to please refrain from the Skip
Waterpump testimonials in your discussions on the fordbarn website.
Skip's work, as well as his reputation, are in good standing throughout
the antique car hobby and most people will recommend is work/products
when the subject comes up in discussion.
In my personal opinion, you are not doing Skip a service with these
repeated testimonials - let alone the disservice you are doing to the
fordbarn site by bashing anyone that disagrees with you opinion.

lastly, you kow my stance on "business" posts. I'm still not sure that
this isn't a "business venture" on your part.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Shelly

don nettleton wrote:
shelly, with the ongoing post on waterpump comparisons and especally GMs responses to & at tom torget's posts and GMs caustic responses and comments about his abiliy to follow directions i feel is pretty uncalled for. i have gotten into it with GM here and the V8 site about his advertizing, and have been the brunt of some of his anger at my chalangeing him on his continual selling and not respecting the openions of other people. he may be an expert in the world of cooling, but his arrogance and sales pitch offsets his positives on the subject. i know tom and with his last post it just seems as anyone elses experiences, per GM, have no place on the forum. i feel there is alot of good technical information that comes out of GM, but he places himself as the ONLY person qualified on the subject. diffrerent things work for different people and we ALL should respect others openions and souloutions without disrespecting others. you had given GM some advertizing instructions and restrictions a while back. could you again please?
thank you, don nettleton sa,tx

HEY Ryan, maybe there could be some simple rules for everyone who sell on here, like the carb guys and the earley ford garauge, that they just post a telephone number or a website and a simple "call me/us for more info".
i think any consideration would be apreciated befor things get out of hand again with GM.
don
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

donald1950 ...........................
What is your dog in this old matter ?
MIKE
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
donald1950

i am also in the 1% pumps did nothing for my 41 pu.

mike, i do not have a clue what you are talking about. i do have some cats tho....
Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald1950 View Post
i am also in the 1% pumps did nothing for my 41 pu.

mike, i do not have a clue what you are talking about. i do have some cats tho....

To Everyone:

Cut the crap. Enough already. Looks like the honeymoon is coming to a close and we're creeping back to same old Cry, sorry, I meant to say Fordbarn.

I'd say if they worked for 99% of the guys who bought them, Skip is doing something right.

Wait, I hear a one of our more notorious vendors crying about the price of cores and french fries at swap meets from over in the swap section.

I got to get off now...

These types of posts are so freaking' tedious!

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

Surely, you guys have heard the expression, "I don't have a dog in this fight". I was just wondering what your "dog" was. ?????
You know, the more you stir shite, the worse it smells.
Everybody should just leave it alone, unless you do happen have a "dog in this fight".
Somehow, I missed where G.M. "disrespected" frenchy. I can't see where that came from. ?????
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 08-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

Can't we all just get along?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
Lawrie

GM ,when is skip going to make those curved impellors for the 21 stud engines.
Not that mine get hot.Lawrie
Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
jimTN

Too many thin skins around here............... I have Skip's products on my Fords and a Packard and they work like they were intended.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
G.M.

Frenchy I do do appriciate your posts of how Skips pumps worked for you in a difficult application. My answer was to a post from a winer like Don. Funny thing I was going to mention that this other perticular winer "Don" would jump in. There are a few that like to jump on the pile after the tackle is made. The post I answered disapeared and some that didn't see it thought I was referring to Frenchy which I wasn't. I only present the true facts and can support what I say. I try to help others enjoy driving their old Fords like I do anytime they want to drive them, not have to wait for certain conditions. How many old Fords were saved from a Chevy engine with Skips parts?? Before some of Skips parts were installed many wives wouldn't ride in the old Fords. I had several wives come up to me at shows and thank me. One said she would follow her husband in their modern car. I have no financial interest in what Skip does or what money he makes. I just enjoy being able to help make these old Fords more reliable and solving problems. If my posts eat at some of these winers so much they don't have to read my posts just move on past them. I see some posts that I don't coment on even though they are way off and when I see their posts I just go on to the next one. The readers can decide for themselves what is fact or fiction. There are many unsolicited posts supporting Skips products and articials in magazines supporting my claims from people I never heard of. Skip really don't need me to promote sales for him as most of his business comes from friends of people that use his products or repeat orders. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 08-14-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Too many thin skins around here............... I have Skip's products on my Fords and a Packard and they work like they were intended.
And people with too much time on their hands.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
denverslim

Lol!
Kinda like a tupperware party on steriods!...slim
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
donald1950

well, i still hope Ryan will see all the comments on this thread and will set some guidelines for people advertizing and / or promoting products.
i also get tired of GM "whining" about people who question him and his product promotions and tales of wives who call him and then throwing out insults at those who dare to post that his product did not work as promoted for them.
i feel shellys letter in my origonal post to him says it all and is a good souloution.
the other craftsmen on fordbarn and the V8 forum all say "call me" or "Email me", that should be good enough for GM also.
most posters seek to help other people with what worked for them or offer concepts of what to check next. GM seems to take the "help" concept far beyond simple advice with all the product promotions and story enbelisnment.
i do not like to see or feel a need for people to be insulted as GM so aptly does and so i do not mind sturing the pot every so often. that is how change happens. i also would like to see us all "just get along" with out being insulted.
don
Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
G.M.

Lawrie The configuration of the 32 to 36 heads don't have the room for the turbine impeller. The improved impeller Skip provides in the 32 to 36 pumps he modifies pump about as much water as possible for the early engines. I see him test them and once in a while look over the tests sheets and with him consistantly holding the same tolerances on each pump they all test at 92 Gallons each in 5 minutes. These were at 55 gallons stock before being modified. The 37 to 48 pumps with the turbine are 110 gallons and were 65 stock. The percentage of increase on the early and late pumps are about the same. My early 35 and 36s run a very slight bit cooler then the 39s. The fan is larger on the 39s but is down low on the radiator. A 6 blade on the 32 to 36 provides better cooling at lower RPMs in town. As I mentioned many times my 39 P/U which has the fan on the generator like the 32 to 36 cars has an industrial 6 bladed fan and a shrowd and will run at a fast idle on a 95 degree day for over 2 hours and never get to 180. Some old Ford industrial engines such as Schramm air compressors ran all day at higher RPMs and I doubt they got hot. I happen to have one, it has a BIG radiator and a large industrial 6 bladed fan plus better impellers in the pumps. The 2 6 blade fans I mentioned before on my 33 phaeton and the 39 P/U came from the attic of Schramms parts dept. I know Dick Schramm and a number of years ago he left me go up in the attic to hunt for Ford parts and the blades were the only thing I found. LARGE dumpster loads of new flathead engines and parts were thrown out several years before I got there. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COOLING 2.jpg (69.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by G.M.; 08-14-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
lenmissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post
Lol!
Kinda like a tupperware party on steriods!...slim
sorry i opened a can of worms lenmissy
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
lenmissy

sorry I opened a can of worms lenmissy