Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Taxi and Station Wagon...

What did Ford designate the Taxi (135-A) and Station Wagon (150-A, B) as...Passenger vehicles or Commercial vehicles?

I am seeing both ways in differnet publications and documents.

Assembly Record Types relates "commercial" (if I am reading it right) and the Part Price Lists (July 1, 1931) relate "passenger".

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-20-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Taxi and Station Wagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
What did Ford designate the Taxi and Station Wagon as...Passenger vehicles or Commercial vehicles?

I am seeing both ways in differnet publications and documents.

Assembly Record Types relates commercial (if I am reading it right) and the Part Price Lists relate passenger.

Thanks.

Pluck
I'm afraid that is a question that will never receive a verifiable SINGLE answer for just the reasons you intimated. I've heard the same question off and on for 25+ years and the REAL answer is 'either' OR 'both'. The fact is that if anyone provides a single answer they are indeed providing nothing more than a personal opinion.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
PC/SR

Pluck and Marco: I really admire the effort, knowledge and expertise you guys bring to these issues. I am more involved in the performance side of the hobby, but without the preservation side all is lost. Really thanks for doing this, although I have no contributions to make to the question.

Last edited by PC/SR; 12-20-2014 at 01:53 AM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:13 AM   #4
ctlikon0712

I second that PC/SR. Marco and Steve always post about things that are interesting to me and worth taking note of.
My grandfather purchased my 31 150B second hand from a delivery company in 1939. I would guess, and this is as Marco says only an opinion, that most station wagons seem to have been used as commercial transportation.
Mr. Johnstone with the Woody Wagons club might be able to offer a more educated opinion.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
CarlG

In the mid 50's, my first vehicle was an AA 280A (ambulance). It practically took an act of god (and then some)to get it registered as a "passenger" vehicle in order to avoid paying for commercial tags (in Arizona).
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
heneste

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I know my Dad had driven his 150-B on a local road in the 50's that was designated for use by non-commercial vehicles only. The RCMP tried to give him a ticket but he was able to argue the fact that the car is designated as a station wagon and not being used for commercial purposes. I've never seen a definitive guide that states whether or not the 150-B was designated as commercial as I think you had the option of using it solely for personal use.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Fordors

Regarding the taxi, beginning in 1929 through 1930 Ford used a unique design for the body. The cowl had pillars like '28-'29 coupe and Tudor rather than the smooth cowl on the Fordors, there was no visor, but there was a short roof overhang over the windshield, there was a jump seat and divider installed and the tail lamp was mounted high on the body. April of 1931 saw taxi orders being filled with regular bodied sedans having imitation leather upholstery and I think there in lies the difference. What had been a "custom" bodied taxi option became much more mainstream, other than the upholstery.
The 150-A was first marketed in the passenger line but 1930 saw it put into the commercial side of production for unknown reasons. In 1932 the B-150 started out with commercial appointments but as the year wore on the grille, headlamps and other things switched to passenger type. In fact on Aug. 5, 1932 cowl lamps became standard on the woodie. Seems as though the sales department could not make up their minds with the station wagon in the early '30's.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I think the issue settles in 1932, with the 1932 parts book that is sort of the final sorting out of the parts list with the finalization of service parts and designations of all sorts.
Obviously this is too late to clarify the probably un-clarifiable thinking during A production, but I think it does show how Ford's thinking finally settled. I'm guessing that the 1932 parts book was the end of organized thought about Model A's at Ford...all efforts now went to the V8, and the Model A was then just a segment of the replacement parts sales.
Body types listings in this show the '28-9 135-A, the 150-A and -B, and of course the '32 B-150 wagons in the passenger part of the list.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
jimalabam

Velly Interesting... Steve as Marco says, this question has been asked as long as I have been in the "A" hobby (1964). As Bruce stated above, Ford may have finally settled the question in the '32 parts book, but Passenger Car or Commercial Car as far as the "A" Wagons and Taxis will remain a personal opinion probably forever. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote