Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2023, 05:21 AM   #1
aussie merc

Default fan change 39 /44?

we have a 39 mercury with standard fan [crank driven] have cooling issues here in summer [90deg F] in winter no issues so whats involved in raising the fan as per 42/48 engine positions so i can run a 18" truck fan to increase air flow thru the radiator any thoughts or problems you have would be appreciated
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:37 AM   #2
42merc

Default Re: fan change 39 /44?

To use the 42-48 style fan,the radiator needs to be raised. The new fan location would saw the '40 upper radiator hoses into pieces.
I have seen the later fan location used by making the fan blades shorter. But then what have you gained ?
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:27 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
The new fan location would saw the '40 upper radiator hoses into pieces.
That's why Jim Pullen ("19Fordy" here on the 'Barn) came-up with this home-fabricated, brainstormed part to LOWER the fan on his 1940 Ford engine so that the upper hoses remain intact. This same concept allowed "Heard" (another F'Barner) who owns a '36 3-W powered by an 8BA to build and install a mechanical fan in his coupe which has that pesky radiator which leans rearward, as well as affording very little room for a mechanical fan to begin with. How many '35 - '36 Fords have you ever seen with an 8BA and a MECHANICAL FAN? This is Heard's & The Coopman's answer, and it cools quite well in the central Florida heat of summer.

19Fordy's Custom-Made Bracket BELOW

Heard & Coopman's Bracket/Fan Assembly BELOW

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
John R

Coopman, Thanks for the informative photos of a good solution. The photos appear to show two different fan drive system - one from the generator pulley and one from the crank pulley. Am I correct in assuming that lack of space at the front crossmember for a two-belt pulley led to the two-belt generator system?
Old 07-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Coopman, Thanks for the informative photos of a good solution. The photos appear to show two different fan drive system - one from the generator pulley and one from the crank pulley. Am I correct in assuming that lack of space at the front crossmember for a two-belt pulley led to the two-belt generator system?

Hey John ..... There are a couple of reasons our set-up looks different than 19Fordy's (Jim Pullen's) set-up. Jim designed and built his system from scratch using machining equipment that he had available to him at the time. He even machined the hub/bearing assembly that the fan rides on from scratch. Jim is quite the talented individual. We did not have the luxury of access to the variety of machine tools that Jim had. Plus, his '40 didn't present some of the nuances that Heard's situation presented. The radiators on a '36 lean rearward which really meant that the fan had to go as low as possible. Also, the lower double sheave pulleys for an 8BA have quite a space between the two belt grooves and was too wide for the room we had to work with. That's why we decided to drive the fan from the alternator pulley. We were careful to end-up with a 1:1 ratio with regard to fan speed vs. crankshaft speed. That drive has worked out well for us with no apparent slippage.

I looked and looked for a hub/bearing assembly to mount the fan on that was not overwhelming in size. I stumbled on the Corvair fan hub which mounts a huge aluminum fan on the top of a Corvair engine for air cooling. This Corvair hub was the magic piece that allowed OUR project to work out. You should read the entire story (with pictures) that I wrote-up describing the entire project by clicking on the link BELOW. If you have any more questions about this concoction of ours, ask-away here, or send me a PM and I'll try to answer whatever you ask.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278828

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:43 PM   #6
John R

Coop,
Thanks for the very helpful additional info. I have been thinking about using a generator two-belt setup to drive the fan. I may need some more guidance as I work out the details.

John
Old 07-16-2023, 08:45 PM   #7
38 coupe

Why not get a 40-41 truck crank mount fan with the higher pitch blades and not have to re-engineer the front of your engine and radiator?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:47 AM   #8
aussie merc

nice photos but they are of 8BAs, but I wish to retain the crab distributor so room is at a premium and 38 coupe please note the fan listed on a 40 commercial is the same as the mercury 16.78" duel dia and the one listed for a truck is 19" . due to being crank driven the same problem exists any increase in size will result in the destruction of the bottom hoses so i need to lift the fan center in order to increase the fan size . Dont mean to sound rude and greatly appreciate all ideas put forward but was hoping someone on had actually been able to accomplish this
Old 07-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
nice photos but they are of 8BAs, but I wish to retain the crab distributor so room is at a premium and 38 coupe please note the fan listed on a 40 commercial is the same as the mercury 16.78" duel dia and the one listed for a truck is 19" . due to being crank driven the same problem exists any increase in size will result in the destruction of the bottom hoses so i need to lift the fan center in order to increase the fan size . Dont mean to sound rude and greatly appreciate all ideas put forward but was hoping someone on had actually been able to accomplish this

Is your heating trouble at road speeds or slow "in town" speeds? At road speed it's usually not a fan problem.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #10
41 Ford PU

My question to aussie merc is your fan a four blade or a 6 blade?
My 41 PU is suppose to have a 6 blade in order to help keep it cooler.
Although the same diameter, it has the two extra blades.
41 Ford PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #11
aussie merc

the fan was the standard 6 blade which i changed out to an eight blade from a landcruiser [custom hub] with the same dia some improvement but not great the over heating tends to be outside temp related radiator has been cleaned and serviced the increased airflow from the landy fan helped but not to the point where im happy with it one problem is that when running the blade tips are actually below the bottom of the bottom tank . Believe this is correct as the undertray has a recess for the fan so between roughly 4.30 and 7.30 is below the core , this section of the fan sweep is wasted so another reason i wish to raise the fan Have considered a custom radiator made from a 49 truck with a custom core [full tube count not missing about a 1/3rd of them as per factory] with about a further 4" taller however not much point if i cant get enough air through it