Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Sooner

Default Distributor - Does This Look Correct?

I didn't have a lot of faith my distibutor had the proper hardware installed, so I ordered one of those kits that is supposed to contain all new distributor hardware.

I was able to determine where everything goes except for three small lock washers.

In the below picture, where the point block is mounted, on one screw I have a small star washer and on the other, I have the larger flat washer.

Question #1: Is there supposed to be a lock washer installed on either of these screws?

Where the points are connected to the lower plate wire in between the two nuts, in several diagrams I have seen an insulating washer installed. My kit did not come with an insulating washer for this area, nor was there one there originally.

Question #2: Since the points are sitting on a phenolic plate, what is the reason for the insulating washer in the first place?

Question #3: Is there supposed to be a lock washer installed here?

Thanks.

Click on the image for a much larger size:

Distributor.jpg
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Distributor - Does This Look Correct?

the washers under the point block are fine. you are missing the fiber insulated washer under the upper plate wire.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

It's a good idea to lubricate all moving parts, including the spring, center hole and top plate 3 tabs. A good source of information is the PARTS PRICE LIST, which lists all the chassis parts needed to build the drivetrain.

The top picture should help you, as it shows the parts next to where they fit. See the points block and the two screws that hold it in place. Each screw also has a small lock washer, and the screw that can move in the larger hole also has a flat washer. The lower plate has 2 screws and 2 lock washers to hold it in place. Be sure to use the insulating washer on the condenser terminal. It fits directly under the screw head.

Any more questions, just ask.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
leo

Great photos! Tom
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
160B

[QUOTE=Tom Wesenberg;551186]

Great photos, but I do not paint the grove that the upper plate rides in the distributor body as the point block/upper plate needs to be grounded.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
Sooner

Got everything like I think it should be, but I'm not getting spark at the points.

I'm seeing sparks between the upper plate and the distributor body where it rides in the groove.

The point block is cracked, and I have a new one ordered. I have all of the scews on the point block as tight as possible, but 'm even seeing some spark within the point block itself where the crack is.

I also don't see where the pigtail is shorting against the lower plate.

The point faces are aligned and clean.

Any ideas?
Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Sounds like a grounding problem between the top plate and cast body. Try using a jumper wire from the top plate to a head nut and see if the points work OK. If they do, then you need to clean the groove in the cast body and also where the spring touches the top plate on the underside. The spring and the 3 tabs in the groove should BOTH supply a ground inside the distributor. Once you get a good ground there then you need to have a good ground from the cast body to the head, so make sure the hole in the head is free of rust and paint.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote