Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #21
M2M

Default Re: LED Head Lamp Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
As I have stated elsewhere, my only dislike about them is they look funny when viewing them thru the lens. The biggest two or three things I do like about them is the bulbs are under $10, they produce a lot of lumens, and they are very easy on a generator electrical system.

Which ones are you using?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Which ones are you using?

The ones pictured above.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #23
GPierce

I am 100% in agreement with Brent’s comments on the LED lights.
I was chastised on here for using them because they said I couldn’t focus them in a sharp line, they didn’t meet the blah blah rules , didn’t meet the blah blah engineering standard etc.
The bottom line for me was I didn’t feel safe driving with Henry’s originals in today’s environment. I can see much better, feel safer, and NO ONE has flashed their lights at me.

On top off that other Model A drivers I have driven at night with have all had favorable comments on my lights. Many of them have converted to LED headlights.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
I am 100% in agreement with Brent’s comments on the LED lights.
I was chastised on here for using them because they said I couldn’t focus them in a sharp line, they didn’t meet the blah blah rules , didn’t meet the blah blah engineering standard etc.
The bottom line for me was I didn’t feel safe driving with Henry’s originals in today’s environment. I can see much better, feel safer, and NO ONE has flashed their lights at me.

On top off that other Model A drivers I have driven at night with have all had favorable comments on my lights. Many of them have converted to LED headlights.
My sentiments exactly!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The ones pictured above.

Well, I think the short lived reign of LED Logo Lites for $29 each bulb has ended. The hype when they came out was wild. Nice sales and marketing campaign with a video and photos, and ads everywhere such as in the MAFCA magazine. Why buy them when you can buy a no name LED bulb that also works for $7? RIP LED Logo

Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #26
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Well, I think the short lived reign of LED Logo Lites for $29 each bulb has ended. The hype when they came out was wild. Nice sales and marketing campaign with a video and photos, and ads everywhere such as in the MAFCA magazine. Why buy them when you can buy a no name LED bulb that also works for $7? RIP LED Logo
Yeah, you can strap derrick floods to your crate and roll merrily along. So long as the coppers don't toss you in the slammer for it, you're good.

You seem to be unclear on the concept of "low beam". The $7 bulbs don't drop the beam toward the ground.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Yeah, you can strap derrick floods to your crate and roll merrily along. So long as the coppers don't toss you in the slammer for it, you're good.

You seem to be unclear on the concept of "low beam". The $7 bulbs don't drop the beam toward the ground.

The Logo Lights also do not do much to drop the beam for low beam. Both rows of LEDs are on for both high and low beam. Low beam is just lower intensity of the LEDs. Even if they were designed to run only one row on low beam, they still would not be right since they the rows are not completely horizontal. They do not align properly with the headlight lenses.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #28
M2M

Thumbs down Re: LED Head Lamp Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post

$29 Logo Lites do not have a proper low/high beam system; the $7 ones don't either...I see no reason to hand over extra $ for no benefit.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Geez guys, hasn't this horse been beat to death?

This entire thread has come down to two different sides. There are a few here that actually purchased the LED bulbs and have reported their first-hand experiences, ...and those who have no first-hand experience but keep bringing up hearsay from other's theories. I trust folks who have read down this far can differentiate between the two.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

I am one who have Logo Lites installed, so post 27 is based on my observations. The reflectors in my car are replacements, but original bulbs focus/have the pattern as detailed in the Model A documentation. The Logo Lites do not calibrate to the pattern for reasons observed in post 27.

Logos throw a lot more light, but not in the correct pattern, at low intensity they may be acceptable for oncoming traffic. I have not had anyone flash their lights at me, but have not had someone else drive my truck and me driven a different car to meet my truck on the road to see the results on low beam.

I drive rarely at night, but feel they are safer, so have left them in. My risk, willing to risk a possible ticket and any other possible consequences. So it is a personal choice. The risks are up to the individual.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #31
updraught

Will they dazzle a kangaroo?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Will they dazzle a kangaroo?

If you ship me a Roo and pay for shipping both ways, I will try it and let you know the results.

We have lots of deer here, and on high beam you can see their eyes a long, long way away, long before you can see their bodies. Same on low beam, just not as bright. Same with cats, raccoons, and possums. We even have a farm with some Buffalo and some cattle next to a county road, just south of town, saw their eyes , same thing.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If you ship me a Roo and pay for shipping both ways, I will try it and let you know the results.

We have lots of deer here, and on high beam you can see their eyes a long, long way away, long before you can see their bodies. Same on low beam, just not as bright. Same with cats, raccoons, and possums. We even have a farm with some Buffalo and some cattle next to a county road, just south of town, saw their eyes , same thing.

You know, I think that pretty much sums the entire thing. Without blinding oncoming traffic, you can potentially see a hazard from a long away (--likely better than original bulbs and arguable the same as Halogen). Then as you get closer you can see more of the hazard but the bottom line is you are now on notice. Will original-type Model-A lighting ever be perfect in all types of driving conditions? I doubt it but just as in the braking or steering, there are ways to subtlety increase efficiency without detracting from the original look.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com