Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #21
AnthonyG

Default Re: Question on throttle stroke

Reporting back: Steep angle from the accelerator throttle lever to carb was an issue and I went to a cable. However it turned out the throttle lever mounted on the firewall was cracked causing a lot of flex reducing stroke significantly. Found good replacement lever and installed. That in combination with throttle cable replacing the hard linkage & mounted on carb base to have a more level operating plain corrected the problem.
Thx for the help,
Old 10-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I modified a ss braided throttle cable to snap on the ball on top of firewall pivot and used one of the rear carb mounting bolts to secure cable on level pull plain approx 8 " behind butterfly throttle shaft. Seems to open all the way now. Will test today. As Mart and V8Coopman indicated it most likely was the steep angle due to hi- rise messing up the geometry. PS V8Coopman, I like the "goofy" hi-rise setup, eyes of the beholder you know and a lot more torque. also gives me a good platform for running multiple carb setup which would normally have interference with alternator setup.I do thank you for picking up the geometry issue, it was a good call
Thx to all for the good advise and ideas.
If you read JWL's book, his dyno tests show that the riser for a 4 bbl carb actually hurts performance.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #23
AnthonyG

It may not increase HP but definitely feels like the torque curve changes at low end and pulls harder. Never race or beat the car. Just an occasional punch off the line. Mainly for the looks. I have just switched over to another " Goofey Hi-rise Tri-power setup" . Again "eyes of the beholder" I like the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0716.jpg (75.5 KB, 11 views)