Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Adjustable Lifters

Anyone have any opinions good, bad or whatever on this style adjustable lifter? These were bought new several years ago from Flathead Jack and ran maybe 200 miles. He pulled out the cam because it was too radical and wasn’t street friendly and replaced it and the lifters with another. He’s since got out of flatheads so I got them with some other stuff today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AF53DC6B-F0CB-487E-8883-A2A97FA13837.jpeg (112.9 KB, 605 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Pete
BANNED

Default Re: Adjustable Lifters

Have them faced and they should work fine.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:44 PM   #3
GB SISSON

That is a design I have never seen. Not that I have been around adjustable lifters all that much, but they arent the Johnson style, or the 8n style, they look hollow and have an interesting threaded top. They must use an interference thread. What are they?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
cas3

I've not seen them before either
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
Brian

They look like the style mike Davidson in Australia used to manufacture under his 'flatattack' brand. In my opinion, they are the BEST adjustable lifter available. Flathead Jack obviously copied that design, I cannot vouch for the quality of his particular brand. Looks like wear already formed in the top of that lifter?
Old 04-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Anyone have any opinions good, bad or whatever on this style adjustable lifter? These were bought new several years ago from Flathead Jack and ran maybe 200 miles. He pulled out the cam because it was too radical and wasn’t street friendly and replaced it and the lifters with another. He’s since got out of flatheads so I got them with some other stuff today.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #7
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
They look like the style mike Davidson in Australia used to manufacture under his 'flatattack' brand. In my opinion, they are the BEST adjustable lifter available. Flathead Jack obviously copied that design, I cannot vouch for the quality of his particular brand. Looks like wear already formed in the top of that lifter?
I've used a number of "Flatattack" lifters and agree they are some of the best. Never used anything from Flathead Jack.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:34 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Yes it looks like wear in the photo but there’s absolutely zero wear there.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
GB SISSON

I googled Flathead Jack, adjustable lifters. Nothing on his site or anywhere else about this 'new' design. Just lots of pics of Jack's lifters that look like all the others we all know about already. Do I see something round in the lifter's window?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I googled Flathead Jack, adjustable lifters. Nothing on his site or anywhere else about this 'new' design. Just lots of pics of Jack's lifters that look like all the others we all know about already. Do I see something round in the lifter's window?
Flathead Jack is no longer in business. He did put out a few parts (lifters being one) under the name Jaxs.

I'll try to find it...

Edit: Looks like all of the old links and the Jax website is no longer active, so I'm assuming they are no longer in business.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:00 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

They do look similar to the stuff that Mike Davidson produced. One thing to note on them is that the bodies were steel, not chilled iron. So, you can run them on cast-iron cams, but not on steel billet cams. Just something to note!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #12
Pete
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
They do look similar to the stuff that Mike Davidson produced. One thing to note on them is that the bodies were steel, not chilled iron. So, you can run them on cast-iron cams, but not on steel billet cams. Just something to note!
Does that mean my stock steel lifters running on a stock steel core are going to go bad after already going 30000 miles?
Old 04-19-2022, 05:10 PM   #13
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Does that mean my stock steel lifters running on a stock steel core are going to go bad after already going 30000 miles?
I guess it would depend on the material and hardening. When I originally bought some of the lifters from Mike, if I remember he said to not run them on steel cams? But, as you noted - Ford made plenty of steel lifters that they ran on the early 32 cam cores. As far a mileage and/or issues with them - have no clue?

But, who knows - maybe the amount of spring pressure also comes into play? What are your thoughts Pete?
Old 04-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #14
Brian

I've been running flatattack steel lifters on a 32 steel cam for years with no issues...Can't run steel on steel? All ball and roller bearings are doing exactly that!
Old 04-19-2022, 09:20 PM   #15
Pete
BANNED

"I guess it would depend on the material and hardening. When I originally bought some of the lifters from Mike, if I remember he said to not run them on steel cams? But, as you noted - Ford made plenty of steel lifters that they ran on the early 32 cam cores. As far a mileage and/or issues with them - have no clue?

But, who knows - maybe the amount of spring pressure also comes into play? What are your thoughts Pete?"

I am not going to speculate on someone else's stuff. If MIke said no steel, I would go with that.

As far as doing it with Ford original parts, I happen to know from many moons of circle racing, both pro and vintage, with original Ford parts it works good in race engines and I run spring pressures you would not believe.
I have run billet cams made from bar stock that are still running after 50 years also. Lifters made from original Ford ones.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:32 AM   #16
chap52

Never seen these before. My question would be adjusting? The Johnson style had those holes on top for the special wrench to be used. Snapped the tips off of two sets of those and went, like many have, to drilling holes in lifter housing to insert a small allen wrench to hold the body while adjusting.
Is there a special process for adjusting these? Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
I've been running flatattack steel lifters on a 32 steel cam for years with no issues...Can't run steel on steel? All ball and roller bearings are doing exactly that!
Good to hear!

Side Note: There are certainly situations where running a steel cam with steel lifters was not recommended - going back many years. BUT - it would strictly be a determination from the specific CAM/lifters vendor - based on their testing, materials, hardening process, etc..

I have some billet 8620 steel cams for early Olds and for early Hemi's that were supplied with "special" chilled iron lifters. Now, would steel lifters (correct materials and hardening) have worked - probably, but the cam manufacturers supplied chilled iron lifters - probably for a reason.

There are also quite a few high-end racing cams where they deliberately make very high quality tool-steel lifters (some DLC coated) for the rigors of high-rpm track racing with steel-billet cams. Obviously the combination works for this racing, where the class rules don't allow roller cams.

I think it is best to do what the cam/lifter manufacturer recommends . . . or not! LOL
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #18
hotrodcbx

I bought lifters from Flathead Jack, along with a Potvin cam made by Schneider about 4 years ago just before he closed his doors. Your lifters are made be JAX and be initial viewing they look to be nicely made. They have one major problem, they will not hold their settings. I removed them only to find the locking technique used is a small hole drilled in the threads with a locking insert of some type of plastic. They were all loose as H**..
Because they were so beautifully made and finished I decided to try and make them lockable. I put the threaded section into a rough faced mechanics vice and squeezed them to distort the threads. They were now quite difficult to adjust but work just fine now. These lifters are said to be the lightest lifters ever made for a flathead.
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodcbx View Post
These lifters are said to be the lightest lifters ever made for a flathead.
The lightest lifters ever made would be the steel originals, followed by the Isky 404-A radius lifters (which I believe were made from originals???)
Old 04-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #20
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Never seen these before. My question would be adjusting? The Johnson style had those holes on top for the special wrench to be used. Snapped the tips off of two sets of those and went, like many have, to drilling holes in lifter housing to insert a small allen wrench to hold the body while adjusting.
Is there a special process for adjusting these? Chap
Looks to me like the only way to adjust them is you have to have the lifter bosses drilled to insert a rod. Then the adjustment is made on the top nut. Interesting design for sure.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote