Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
fordson

Post 1934 ford rear shock /spring /shackle situation

Allright, after inspecting the chassis on my 34 coupe i have found the following situation on the rear:
Delco Remy Lovejoy shocks with correct bracket, cut off shock links and shackles with eye bolts and grease nipple!
Research showed the following comment by another enthusiast:

"There is another shock option worth considering that requires no frame modification and bolts on using the existing frame holes. These are the Delco-Lovejoy lever action shocks. I have them on all four corners of my '35 and love them.
As proof of their indestructibility, the old time whiskey runners of the Appalachian hills relied on Lovejoys as their shock of choice especially when those pesky revenuers were on their trail. They provided great stability and were virtually bullet-proof (mechanically speaking)."

The Lovejoy shocks on my rear are working, the shackles must be GMC/ Chevy truck shackles with eye bolts and grease nipple: obviously totally wrong.
Q: Can i leave the Delco Remy Loveshocks on ?
Q: Can i use the Ford Dog Bone shock link for propper connection. If not what sort of shock link do i need?

The shackle must be 1934 Ford with a rubber bushing. I wonder now if the shackles of the GMC / Chev are interchangeable with Ford, why dont people use the GMC one, it seems of better and more sturdy quality.
If they are not interchangeable i must have a problem with my rear spring eye in order to accommodate the GMC shackle bolt and possible the leaf hanger
Q: How to deal with the rear shackle situation?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by fordson; 05-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1934 ford rear shock /spring /shackle situation

Originally, the '33-'34 and up shackle studs were lined with asbestos, not rubber. Rubber lined studs were only used on '32s and were soon found to be inadequate. Aftermarket studs continued to be lined with rubber and are usually what are encountered today at swap meets. Eighty plus years of aging hasn't improved their durability.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #3
koates

My 1934 Ford four door sedan has those Delco shocks and cast brackets on all four corners. It has the original ford dog bone links connected to the Delco arms. These shocks came as replacement kits for the Ford Houdaille shocks which were always difficult to repair. The Delco shocks were easier to overhaul when required. They work well on my car and have been fitted many years ago but I rebuilt all four of them. Cant see your links properly but they appear to be 35-36 Ford type not 34 dog bones. My car is Canadian, built in South Africa, right hand drive. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
fordson

Hi Kevin,
what a surprise, my car is Canadian too, built in South Africa (RHD) and waiting there to be revived. The links are cut and probably even from the 1940ies.
Iam a lot more relaxed now and will put the dog bones on. Great!
Regards Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
koates

Randolf, That's interesting. I have not been able to trace any history on my cars life in South Africa. Any ideas on that ?? It came to Australia about 15 years ago via New Zealand. It had a repaint (blue as original) many years ago but is all original matching numbers but has no engine number. Paint is a bit rough now but I am not touching it. No rust at all, seems it lived in a dry area that had red dust. Runs very nicely. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote