Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
frank long island

Default carb change

need to change the carb on my 64 ranchero 160 6 cyl it has a manual choke i want to upgrade to electric choke what yrs. should i look for
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
JerseyJim

Default Re: carb change

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank long island View Post
need to change the carb on my 64 ranchero 160 6 cyl it has a manual choke i want to upgrade to electric choke what yrs. should i look for
Frank,

I have a 63 Econoline pickup that ran a 170 originally and I later switched it out for a 200. I kept the manual choke however.

A couple considerations... Many of the in-liner experts do not recommend an electric choke. They recommend an automatic choke tube-heated from the manifold. That way the carb is reacting to actual engine heat. If you elect to go that route, you need to check your exhaust manifold and make sure that it is set up for it and has the sealed air passage. Some manifolds used with manual chokes do not have it.

You'll want to stick with the carbs recommended for your year. Ford matches distributors to carbs. Also consider whether it is a California car... They can be different than other models. A 64 Falcon's base engine is a 170 and it typically has an automatic choke. So an Autolite 1100 for that year should be available and will bolt right on your Ranchero.

Here is a great link to the Classic Inlines website. This should answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.classicinlines.com/AutoliteCarbs.asp#5
JerseyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: carb change

I am a member of another site called FORDSIX.com because I have a 55 Ford Courier with a 223 I-block 6. There are a lotta guys in there that mess around with vintage Ford inline sixes. You can go in as a guest and browse around in the site. Look in the board index for VINTAGE INLINE 6
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote