Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
anothercarguy

Default '39 Trans w/'42-48 truck open driveline conversion speedo gear question

Hi all, Long time lurker...not much of a poster...have taken advantage of the expertise on this board many times...thank you all for the past and in advance for sharing your knowledge. Couldn't find the answer to my question using the search function this time.

I have a zero mile car with a fresh '39 trans c/w an open driveline conversion from a '42-48 truck in a project that I have taken over. The trans is filled to the appropriate level with gear lube. I recently pulled the speedo gear out to have a speedo cable made up. When I pulled the gear out, it was dry (no lube, no grease). Does it get lube from the trans once running? Does it need to be pre-oiled/greased? or was there a step missed when the trans was converted to the open driveline that allows the lube into the tail shaft area?
anothercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Juergen

Default Re: '39 Trans w/'42-48 truck open driveline conversion speedo gear question

The open drive trans does not have a slinger in the back to sort of keep the oil in the trans case. Instead it has an oil seal on the output shaft behind the speedo gear. So some trans gear lube will get in there to lubricate the speedo parts. If you are concerned, drop some oil in there to prelube the gear.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
anothercarguy

Default Re: '39 Trans w/'42-48 truck open driveline conversion speedo gear question

Thank you...will do.
anothercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote